1 (edited by danson6 2023-01-26 18:30:57)

Topic: FireFace UCX issues

Hi there,

I have a Fireface UCX that I have owned for the last 9 years and has generally served me well.

Recently I've had some serious issues with the device - when working in a DAW, suddenly the speakers clip, the sound stops and TotalMix looks like this: https://postimg.cc/QBNdvD5R

This seems to happen more and more often, to the point that I can't work on my DAW for longer than 5-10 minutes before restarting.. and this doesn't happen with other audio interfaces. All drivers and firmware are up to date.

Any ideas what could cause this? Is it that my UCX is just old and tired and I need to buy a new interface to replace it (which I was thinking of doing anyway)? I would go for a larger RME, maybe UFX, but need to know fiorst what is causing the issue of course!

Thanks all,

Dan

2 (edited by waedi 2023-01-27 02:36:51)

Re: FireFace UCX issues

Did you try another DAW ? Reaper ?

What firmware version is in the UFX ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

The communication with the interface is broken down, but the interface is still present. Like a stopped/hanging record/playback state with missing interrupts.

Possible reasons:
- UCX power supply
- USB cable
- USB port or subsystem

Did you check the USB error counter in the UCX Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

waedi wrote:

Did you try another DAW ? Reaper ?

What firmware version is in the UFX ?

Haven't used another DAW - I primarily use Logic and it seems to happen mainly on complex projects. I doubt it's the DAW but will test!

Firmware is the latest as far as I can tell - v49

MC wrote:

The communication with the interface is broken down, but the interface is still present. Like a stopped/hanging record/playback state with missing interrupts.

Possible reasons:
- UCX power supply
- USB cable
- USB port or subsystem

Did you check the USB error counter in the UCX Settings dialog?

Good shout. Will change all these one by one and test.

Not sure what you mean by USB error counter though?

Thanks,

D

6 (edited by waedi 2023-01-27 18:17:29)

danson6 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by USB error counter though?

In the application "Fireface USB settings" there is an information visible, check.

https://i.ibb.co/KbQFSTc/Bildschirm-foto-2023-01-27-um-18-13-12.png

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue