1 (edited by Zarabozo 2023-02-10 00:59:52)

Topic: Using two Fireface 802 interfaces at the same time with a DAW

Hello,

I've seen a couple of other posts that talk about this, but I'm still not completely clear on how it works or how well it works.

I have a Fireface 802 connected through USB.

Can I buy a second Fireface 802 and be able to use both interfaces from my DAW (Pro Tools)?

I know Pro Tools will only let me select one ASIO device/driver. I'm understanding that somehow, if you have two RME interfaces that use the same driver, you can use them both from a DAW, but I'm now clear on how that will work. Will the RME driver automatically report more inputs and outputs or do I need to do something else?

I would also like to know if this would work as reliably as using only one interface. For example, will my latency/roundtrip be equally good? Will the audio stability remain as stable/reliable or am I creating a situation where pops/crackles will start to happen?

My goal here is to have more analog sends and returns, and this ideally would double what I have with my single Fireface 802. I know I could think of something like the Fireface UFX+ to have way more I/O, but besides it being 150% the price of the 802, I would also need to invest much more on extra converters, while I already have two Clarett Octopres (ADAT) that I could use with two Fireface 802s while working at 96 KHz.

So, is this possible and reliable? I hope you guys can help me learn more to decide. Thank you!

Francisco

RME Fireface 802, Windows 10, Intel Core i9 13900k (chipset Z790), 128GB RAM

Re: Using two Fireface 802 interfaces at the same time with a DAW

Maybe someone from RME can reply? Thanks again.

3 (edited by ramses 2023-02-12 12:45:17)

It can be done, RME drivers are usually tested with three interfaces, theoretically more if the computer allows it, but were not tested by RME.

You should pay attention to three things with such a setup:

1. Monitoring: You then have to work with two TM FX instances. Audio from one interface to another can only be routed through the DAW with the full RTL. Unless you sacrifice an ADAT port for 8 channels. But then it is no longer possible to operate your existing preamps with 8 ports in double speed.

2. Protools: there used to be limitations regarding the maximum number of supported channels. It used to be 30 ports IN/OUT, but something has changed. Maybe up to 60 channels, you need to check. Here one would have to ask more precisely whether this is a limit per interface or an absolute limit.

3. Operations: esp. under Windows: ensure that the two 802 always run at the same ASIO buffersize, otherwise you get a little offset between tracks of the two devices.

For more flexibility, a MADI setup would actually be nicer.
Ideal: UFX+ (successor) and 12Mic if more than 30 I/O is supported by Protools (non-HDX).
By this you get better preamps and those of UFX+ and 12Mic match nicely together, both support 75 dB gain.

Operational advantages:
- UFX+: preamp settings can be stored in TM FX snapshots/workspaces
- 12Mic: preamps settings can be remote controlled/stores with "MIDI remote AVB" via "MIDI over MADI".
   Auxdevice support was promised, but is much delayed because of all the hassles around Corona and delivery chain issues.
- Autoset is also a useful feature.

It's just a question of costs and difficult with Protools as a DAW because the full number of channels is not supported.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

It can be done, RME drivers are usually tested with three interfaces, theoretically more if the computer allows it, but were not tested by RME.

Thank you Ramses, that's very helpful.