Topic: Volume control on AES to speaker

Hello everyone, plan to use adi-2/4 pro AES to genelec 83**, how can I control volume? BTW, how about DSD source via AES digital out? Thanks!

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-10 08:56:01)

Re: Volume control on AES to speaker

For DSD digital volume control is not possible, the format in general does not allow that.
I’m even not sure that the Genelecs can handle DSD at all?

So the best solution would be to let the player software output have DSD to PCM conversion active at max. 192 kHz sample rate.

Then ADI-2 Pro can control the digital Volume if “Digital Out Source - Main Out” is set, look at manual page 46.

An alternative would be, to get Genelec 9310B Volume Controller.

Many thanks!
I wonder if it's possible that let ADI-2/4 pro convert DSD > PCM and output via AES?

KaiS wrote:

For DSD digital volume control is not possible, the format in general does not allow that.
I’m even not sure that the Genelecs can handle DSD at all?

So the best solution would be to let the player software output have DSD to PCM conversion active at max. 192 kHz sample rate.

Then ADI-2 Pro can control the digital Volume if “Digital Out Source - Main Out” is set, look at manual page 46.

An alternative would be, to get Genelec’s hardware volume controller.

The Pro itself can not do that. Youneed to use the player (hardware or software) to do the conversion.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-10 09:30:29)

bass_shi wrote:

I wonder if it's possible that let ADI-2/4 pro convert DSD > PCM and output via AES?

No, but @MC:

DSD to PCM conversion at ADI-2’s input would be a nice add, solving all problems with this sh***y DSD format.

The problem with the DSD format in general:
When developed it was meant as an end-user format, to be played from a CD-sized disc, the SACD, into an analog signal path only.

Sony never meant it to be handled in digital streaming, which did not exist at that time.
Now the format’s inherent limits fall on everyone’s feet.

Then people are keen on numbers.
DSD offers high numbers for sample rates.

They don’t know better, so if you offer them zillion MHz sample rates they have a strong belief it must be better.
Backed by this self-bias they indeed receive an “better” sound, would work even if nothing real changes - placebo effect.
Placebo BTW even work if people know it’s placebo, funny, isn’t it?!