Topic: ARC USB - Analog, AES, Speaker B

Hi!

I recently upgraded my beloved Fireface UCX II with the ARC USB, and it is top notch quality.

I only have one "problem", I think it is a strange one:

I am using Genelec 8350a as my main speakers via digital AES assigned to main out. I use the Genelec 9310am volume control directly to the Genelec GLM-kit, so that I can adjust the volume INSIDE the speakers (I don't want to attenuate the digital AES signal from the UCX II)

Then, when my speaker B are assigned the to Analog out 1/2: On the ARC USB, I can push the speaker B, but then I want to attenuate ONLY speaker B on the analog out 1/2 (not the digital AES from main out) I have not found a solution to do that.

1) Is there a solution for when pushing "speaker B" on the ARC USB to only attenuate Analog out 1/2, and not the main out?

2) If not possible, is there really any downside to attenuating the AES signal to my Genelecs? In that case, it is easy. (link function)

Thank you for great products! smile

Magnus B

2 (edited by waedi 2023-02-11 14:27:51)

Re: ARC USB - Analog, AES, Speaker B

Workaround :
Toggle snapshots
Main-out assigned to AES or to analog outputs 1/2
Volumen control on the AES output is no downgrade of sound quality.
In the user manual of the ARC page 5, the list of functions shows that always the Main-out is accessable, not Main Out B.
You have to change the Assign of the Main-out in Totalmix and store it in snapshots.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

magnusb wrote:

I am using Genelec 8350a as my main speakers via digital AES assigned to main out.

Then, when my speaker B are assigned the to Analog out 1/2

On the ARC USB, I can push the speaker B, but then I want to attenuate ONLY speaker B on the analog out 1/2 (not the digital AES from main out) I have not found a solution to do that.

1) Is there a solution for when pushing "speaker B" on the ARC USB to only attenuate Analog out 1/2, and not the main out?

That doesn't make sense to me - incorrect description? If you push the Speaker B button you want to to listen to Speaker B. Why should it get attenuated? Main Out (Speaker A, here via AES) is muted then, which is exactly what should happen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC!

Yes, I am sorry - I meant that when I push speaker B, I also want to be able to use the rotary encoder for the volume for speaker B.

Still, with my Genelec speaker A (which is connected to main out via AES), I have set the ARC USB "Default encoder function" to "no function" so I can use the Genelec volume knob instead.

But, I would still want to use the ARC USB rotary encoder to attenuate volume of speaker B smile

Thank you!

Simply push the Link button on Speaker B channel.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by tomasgunn 2023-12-01 13:56:16)

EDIT: I've just configured the ARC encoder to control the main volume now, made sure that the mains aren't linked and then just make sure that I don't touch the ARC encoder while the main speakers are active. Works for me.

I have the same wish - to be able to use the ARC USB encoder to control the volume of Speaker B (and specifically leave the volume for the main speakers untouched).

My setup:
Main speakers, Genelec, connected via AES, the volume controlled via the Genelec GLM module.
B speakers are connected to an analog output from my RME UCX II (right now I'm just using the headphone out).

I've set the "Speaker B" switch to switch between the speaker pairs and I would like to use the encoder on the ARC to control the volume of only the second pair. I don't want to bring up the volume of speaker B (weaker speakers), switch back to the main speakers and be "blown away" because unexpectedly the volume there was turned up while I wasn't using that pair.

Is there a way to do this? Once I've configured the headphone out as my B speakers in TotalMix, assigning the ARC encoder to control the headphone volume, doesn't do anything.

tomasgunn wrote:

I don't want to bring up the volume of speaker B (weaker speakers), switch back to the main speakers and be "blown away" because unexpectedly the volume there was turned up while I wasn't using that pair.

With LINK off, you can adjust the the two outputs, the switch LINK on.
Say you have your Main on 0dB, your SpeakerB on + 4,5 dB, then link them. As you are adjusting the volume, this offset will stay the same.