Topic: FF802 with Focusrite OctoPre+

I am configuring a Focusrite OctoPre+ preamp to my FF802. I have 2 ADAT cables connected:
ADAT1 FF802 IN -> OctoPre+ OUT1
ADAT2 FF802 IN -> OctoPre+ OUT2

Using a BNC cable from FF802 OUT -> OctoPre+ IN
FF802 clock source is Internal
OctoPre+ clock source is Word Clock

The concerns I have:
1) When the FF802 changes sample rate the OctoPre+ doesn't change automatically
2) Fireface USB Settings Input Status - Word Clock indicates "No Lock"
3) When using 96kHz sample rate with the OctoPre+ set to 96kHz as well, the Fireface USB Settings indicates ADAT1 and ADAT2 are 48kHz

It seems to work Ok when I have an instrument plugged into the OctoPre+ and record it via Cubase Pro using 96kHz.

Mac Pro (late 2013) OSX 12.6.3 64 GB
RME Fireface 802 (USB)
FF802 driver v3.28 Firmware v19

Re: FF802 with Focusrite OctoPre+

1) You are talking about switching from 44/48 to 88/96. Check that the WC out of the 802 is not fixed to Single Speed.
2) Why should it NOT say 'No Lock'? According to your description the 802 WC input is not connected to anything.
3) As mentioned and explained in the 802 manual. Chapter Double Speed and ADAT.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

1) WC is not set to single speed.
2) Correct. I assumed the WC input was not required since I'm only using the OctoPre+ 8 inputs and needs to follow the sample rate of the 802.
3) So, I think you are saying that ADAT at 96kHz will be 48kHz for ADAT1 and ADAT2 but multiplexed so that the result is 96kHz?  I.E. 48kHz for both is normal?

RME Fireface 802 (USB)

All Octopre mic preamps require you to push the button on the front to change the sample rate. It won't change automatically. If you're connected to your 802 via ADAT, you can also remove the wordclock, as the devices can clock through ADAT. Your 802 clock should be set as internal, and your Octopre SYNC should be set to ADAT.

Since you have 2 ADAT cables connected to your 802, you can work in 48k or 96k, you just need to change the sample rate on both devices to match.

RME UFX - Windows 10 - Pro Tools

From the OctoPre user's manual:
"Clarett+ OctoPre as clock follower:
Connect the OctoPre to your interface via the OPTICAL OUT port(s) and connect a BNC cable from the digital system’s word clock leader to the OctoPre’s WORD CLOCK IN connector (also ensuring the sample rates on all devices match).
On the OctoPre, SYNC should be set to W/CLOCK and the LED will illuminate."

I interpreted this to mean that the OctoPre would change when the 802 does but I guess I'm wrong...
No big deal I'll just have to remember.
Thanks

RME Fireface 802 (USB)