Topic: cMP 5,1 (monterey) + fireface 800 | artefacts and loud buzz output

hello everybody,

iam running OSX 12.6.2 on a flashed 4,1 and having some trouble to get my fireface 800 running propperly.
the ff800 gets detected by my machine: I can select it in system prefs and in my daw but the audio output is
just artefacts and loud buzz.
the totalmix app displays full blown signals on all my software playbacks and hardware outputs.
I installed the latest ff driver (and also tried older ones but to no avail).

by testing I found out that my ff400 works great with the same (the latest) driver. no artefacts or buzz.
and when Iam running mojave (with the dedicated ff driver) the ff800 works great as well.

is there anything that I could try to get my ff800 work propperly on monterey?
maybe a flashupdate?

thanks in advanced.
all the best, johannes

Re: cMP 5,1 (monterey) + fireface 800 | artefacts and loud buzz output

Did you try a Totalmix Total Reset ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

not yet. definitely will. thanks for pointing out.
but shouldn't a odd total mix setting effect the ff400 as well (wich works fine in 12.6.2)?

What does this mean?

cMP 5,1

flashed 4,1

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

classic cheesegrater  Mac Pro flashed to 5.1 which gives option to install newer OS?

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

6 (edited by muddi´s finest 2023-02-20 00:51:50)

right, its basically a Mac Pro 5,1. using opencore you can run os beyond mojave.

I tried the Total Reset but it doesn't change anything. also the latest flash-firmware is already installed.
rme site says: 2.77. Compatible up to 10.14 macOS Mojave.
so this might be incompatiblty with newer os like monterey? but I read that other users successfully use ff800 under monterey (not sure about the used Mac hardware though). hmm, also strange that my ff400 works like a charm on Monterey…
any other things that I could try?

btw. looking at the total mix it seems that all of my software playbacks receive the same very loud signal and route them properly to all hardware outputs. not sure from where the ff receives that signal… beside Spotify (stereo out) no other audio app is running…
maybe a feedbackloop or something?

your help is pretty much appreciated.

a small update: in our studio we experience the same problem on another Mac Pro 5,1 also running monterey (12.6.3) with a slightly different hardware configuration. for both macs we used the latest opencore version (0.6.1).
we found out that sometimes the ff800 works for a bit and than the output starts to crackle. when we restart then the ff800 the feedback starts and will last until the audio playback of the host application stops. an exception is protools ultimate wich will start the feedback as soon as the audio engine is initialised…

I wonder if it would make a difference to use a firewire to usb-c adapter (usb 3.1 gen 2) instead of plugging the ff800 directly to a firewire port of the mac pro?
anyone here who successfully uses a ff800 under monterey on a Mac Pro 5,1 who can give us a hand?

Hi,same problem here
Did you guys mange to find a solution?
Thanks!

Not really. We talked with rme service and they didn’t understood why we have this problem with ff800 but not with ff400.

Finally we bought another ff400 for 100 euro and now use it as the main audiointerface with ff800 connected via adat  to have all the in and outputs that we need.

It works but it is a bit cumbersome.

Hi there. I was thinking to get a FF800 for my old cMP 5.1 (4.1 flashed , OC 0.6.8), latest Monterey version 12.6.9

After reading this it seems it won't work. Any other user with a similar configuration than can confirm the issue?

Did you try with different Firewire cables or even better latest OC version?

Same issue trying various setups. Will loop back if solution found.

Have the same issue ! Mac 5,1 with oclp with the last Monterey version.
Has anyone found a solution?
So Fireface when i start the computer did the loud buzz in every channel once i start any DAW or a browser, then if i restart the computer it stoped and worked perfectly.
A couple of days ago i logged in to my apple ID and now ,even if i restart, the loud buzz continues and doesn`t stop.
Can it be related, has stated in this forum?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/im … t-31006024

UPDATE! Did a update from MAC OS Monterrey 12.7.1 to 12.7.2 reinstall the RME Drivers and everything  appears to be ok

david diogo wrote:

UPDATE! Did a update from MAC OS Monterrey 12.7.1 to 12.7.2 reinstall the RME Drivers and everything  appears to be ok

Hi there. Thanks for the update. Is everything working still ok with 12.7.3? What version of OCLP are you using? I tend to prefer v.0.6.1 for USB compatibility issues... but Latest versions appear to work ok too.

david diogo wrote:

Im having that problem on my 12.7.4 with my Fireface 800.
Shall I upgrade to 12.7.5?

Mac Pro 5,1
Monterey
Fireface 800

On-board FireWire broken due to using unsupported OS. Workaround: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=39608

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME