1 (edited by Jungo2 2023-02-21 22:44:19)

Topic: Fireface 400 Clicking issue

Greetings,

I'm using a FF400 on a 2011 iMac running High Sierra OS 10.13.6. The FF has been a bit strange lately and over the last few days has produced intermittent clicks through the speakers even with the inputs muted and nothing plugged into them. The Front panel channel signal level LEDs are lit, presumably with some internal noise issue. I tried reflashing the firmware (1.71), but I receive the following message each time: "Failed with error D0000000". I've rebooted and even reinstalled the drivers; still can't flash the firmware.

The FF400 is now bricked. The drivers error out when they try to load on reboot.  Any way I can reset this? Thanks so much in advance.

Kindest regards

Re: Fireface 400 Clicking issue

Are you using an external PSU or bus power?

I feel you might have a PSU problem. Another remote possibility is you Mac is too new ;-)

I've once revived a FF400 that was bricked by connecting it to a Powerbook G4 and updating the firmware.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Thanks for the response. I took your advise and switched to bus power instead of wall power; things started getting weird after a local power surge. The FF rebooted without any further activity in the signal level meters, which was a good sign. I thought you might have had me up and running. However, my FF is still missing its firmware and repeated attempts to flash - under bus power - are still failing with error D0000000.

If I can reload the firmware, I suspect the FF might be fully functional under bus power. Does anyone at RME know of a hardware/power-on reset procedure?

How do you know it misses its firmware?

Also that FUT is stone-old and needs very old drivers to work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your response. When flashing the firmware, the program first erases, then installs the new which always fails at this point. Also, when I reboot, I see an RME error message that happens when the drivers try to load. It’s basically telling me that the firmware must be 1.70 or higher. The firmware is either missing or corrupted and I can’t seem to produce a successful flash of the only firmware available (for this old system).

Then you need to find an old MacOS system with old drivers so the FF400 can be updated with that tool from 2010. It might be  easier to find someone with a Windows computer and flash it there. Tool is here:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_win_fire_400.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME