1 (edited by danielG 2023-02-22 02:48:24)

Topic: Sample Rate changes - ADI 2 dac

First post here, after reading many and trying to understand the manual. I am far from expert, and a fairly recent ADI 2 DAC user. Please be patient! I've looked and looked, but can't find the information I need about sampling rates on the ADI 2 DAC. I am using Windows.

This is what I understand about sample rates and how to set up the system so that they are chosen automatically. If you use an app with ASIO driver, like Qobuz, you can also have the RME MADIface drivers installed. That should work smoothly. But if you use Tidal (like me) and want the sample rates to be chosen automatically, you have to delete the RME drivers. So I did just that, I did the uninstall and I chose "attempt to remove the driver". Now in the Windows Device Manager, under the ADI-2 DAC it says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device". So I guess the RME drivers are indeed deleted. By the way I did the firmware update before deleting them (v.51).

Now my question: right now Windows settings allows me to choose a sample rate, from 44.1 to 384 kHz. I selected 384 kHz, and that is what is shown on the State Overview (using USB, by the way, so source is internal - INT). But when I play tracks on Tidal, the sample rate never changes on the ADI-2 screen. It always stays at 384.0, regardless of the resolution of the track. I selected "use Exclusive Mode" on the Tidal app. Tidal has "hifi" and "master", and they should be different resolutions, "hifi" not being higher than 44.1. But I don't see any change on the ADI screen. Like I said, it stays at 384. Does this mean Windows is somewhat upsampling the resolution? Or the ADI is choosing the right resolution, but it is just not shown on its screen? Or perhaps I am missing something that I need to do, before the ADI can automatically set the sample rate?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Sample Rate changes - ADI 2 dac

There have been posts here before that say that Tidal only works fully with 24 bit devices, but the ADI only supports 32 bit as driver format.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you. I had read that but I didn’t quite understand the impact of it. I am in Canada and Qobuz will launch here in May 2023. In the meantime, what’s your recommendation about the sample rate I should set on Windows? Or it doesn’t matter?

danielG wrote:

...what’s your recommendation about the sample rate I should set on Windows? Or it doesn’t matter?

I don’t think is matters too much, but upsampling usually has less audible artifacts than downsampling.

The main sample rate of Tidal Master seems to be 96 kHz, so I’d suggest to use this one.

KaiS wrote:
danielG wrote:

...what’s your recommendation about the sample rate I should set on Windows? Or it doesn’t matter?

I don’t think is matters too much, but upsampling usually has less audible artifacts than downsampling.

The main sample rate of Tidal Master seems to be 96 kHz, so I’d suggest to use this one.

Thanks!!