Topic: Independent two pair monitor usage ?

Hello everyone,
I am an old user of adi2 pro fs. I ve solled and bought a new rme adi-2/4 pro se. I have a simple question.
This device has two analog outputs one of them is xlr that is balanced no problem on that but the other analog output, is that trs or ts output? Can i use two pairs of balanced referance monitors independently at the same time ? Thank you for your answers

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-22 15:30:20)

Re: Independent two pair monitor usage ?

hepar45 wrote:

... bought a new rme adi-2/4 pro se.
This device has two analog outputs one of them is xlr that is balanced no problem on that but the other analog output, is that trs or ts output? Can i use two pairs of balanced referance monitors independently at the same time

Yes, the Rear TRS is impedance balanced, with fitting cables a 2nd pair of active speakers can be handled fully independent.

Just switch on:
I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / “Rear TRS Source Ph. 3/4”.

Thank you very much i installed it as you said and that works. I ve started to use

Hi Kai,

I just order ADI 2/4 PRO SE.
One of my main use cases is to use the device DA/AD for my 2-bus analog chain...

I have additional question regarding the Rear TRS output. I understand the support (route) for Ph. 3/4 source was added specifically to be used by mix/master engineers and now allow monitoring and inserting FX at the same time...

My question is, should I use Rear TRS output for monitoring (active speaker) or to route the signal to my analog chain?
Is there is any difference between the main XLR out 1/2 and the Rear TRS out?, and what is the RME recommended way?

(1):
- Use Rear XLR output to connect to active speakers
- Rear TRS Source Ph. 3/4 -> analog processing -> Analog input

OR

(2)
- Use Rear TRS Source Ph. 3/4 to connect to active speakers
- XLR output 1/2 -> analog processing -> Analog input

Or there is no real difference?

Thanks

XLR can go up to 24 dBu, TRS up to 19 dBu. XLR is actively balanced, TRS is impedance balanced. Both ways work, there will be no real-world quality difference. Just use what fits.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-25 01:01:57)

igalg wrote:

I just order ADI 2/4 PRO SE.
One of my main use cases is to use the device DA/AD for my 2-bus analog chain...

I have additional question regarding the Rear TRS output. I understand the support (route) for Ph. 3/4 source was added specifically to be used by mix/master engineers and now allow monitoring and inserting FX at the same time...

My question is, should I use Rear TRS output for monitoring (active speaker) or to route the signal to my analog chain?
Is there is any difference between the main XLR out 1/2 and the Rear TRS out?, and what is the RME recommended way?

(1):
- Use Rear XLR output to connect to active speakers
- Rear TRS Source Ph. 3/4 -> analog processing -> Analog input

OR

(2)
- Use Rear TRS Source Ph. 3/4 to connect to active speakers
- XLR output 1/2 -> analog processing -> Analog input

Or there is no real difference?

In short:
1/2 is better suited for speaker / headphones monitoring.
3/4 for a mastering chain.

In detail:
There is a difference in usability.

In the 1/2 path - rear XLR and front TRS - you can connect active speakers to the back and headphones to the front, with automatic or manual full parameter switching.

Under I/O, Line Out 1/2 and Phones 1/2 have there own settings pages.

Either by: - plugging the ‘phones, - switching in the menu - or an remote key, - ADI-2 alternates between two full sets of completely separated parameters for speaker OR ‘phones (not both at the same time).

You could, eg. have different Volume, Balance, Equalizer, Crossfeed, Width, DA-Filter etc. settings for speakers vs ‘phones.

In contrary, 3/4 Front and Back TRSs share one common I/O Setting page.
Automatic Muting or settings switching of the Back TRSs by plugging PH3/4 ‘phones is not possible.

It’s possible to save and load predefined “Setups” to switch between front and back, but as this loads a full set of parameters for the complete ADI-2, so audio is interrupted for a moment on all outputs.

MC, Kai,

Thanks you very much for the quick response! RME product and SUPPORT is exceptional!
Kudos, and keep up developing fantastic products!

BR,
Igal