Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE as ADC and monitor/phones with Digiface USB

Hello Everyone,

I just received my ADI-2 Pro yesterday and I’m having some issues with routing.

My current hybrid setup is PC - Digiface USB - 2x ADAT out to Ferrofish Pulse 16 and 2x ADAT out to Apogee DA16X - 16 channels analog out from each converter goes to Dangerous 2Bus+ and 2Bus LT - goes through analog chain - summed to main output - main out analog sent to ADI-2 Pro FS R BE - ADI-2 Pro ADAT out into Digiface ADAT in - PC.

I also have a ADAT out from Digiface USB into ADAT in on ADI-2 Pro. I want to be able to monitor and use phones on ADI to hear Ableton mix output and PC music. So I’m able to hear the signal using phones 3/4 when set to analog input type, but I’m not able to hear DAW output back into ADI from ADAT.

I’m using Total Mix and ADAT channels 31/32 are the master output in Ableton Live. Any help would be greatly appreciated, or if you know of another way to accomplish this efficiently.

Thank you!

Production, Mixing, and Mastering services - www.summithousestudio.com

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-22 17:52:41)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE as ADC and monitor/phones with Digiface USB

CtrlFreq wrote:

... I’m using Total Mix and ADAT channels 31/32 are the master output in Ableton Live. ...

To monitor an ADAT signal in ADI-2 it needs to be on channels 1/2 of the ADAT lightpipe cable.

This would be output channels 25/26 in your setup.

Try to re-route playback channel 31/32 to output 25/26 in TotalMix.

3 (edited by CtrlFreq 2023-02-22 18:14:30)

Thank you for the quick response KaiS. Is it possible to loopback 1/2 to 3/4 phones on the ADI-2 Pro? I use my AKG K702's a lot since my wife and I just had a baby recently. Monitors are turned off for the time being.

Or should I just plug my phones into Phones 1/2?

Still having issues with this. I can get the ADI to play the mix for me, but it doesn't respond to volume changes on master fader inside Ableton Live.

I have live set for Analog Return 25/26 and master out to 25/26. The meters have signal in DAW, but ADI will only play me the Analog stream, not the ADAT return from DAW master channel (25/26). I have TotalMixFX output 25/26 feeding Software Mix 25/26.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-23 09:12:48)

For the phones PH 1/2 will do the job.
With:
SETUP / Options / Phones / Mute v. TRS 1/2 “On”,
you can make ADI-2 Pro mute the rear XLR’s and load a complete separated configuration when plugging headphones into PH 1/2.

Have a look at the various “Modes” that define ADI-2 Pro’s configuration, manual page 36 ff.

Select a “Mode” that fits your routing demands.
The block diagrams clearly show what’s possible.

EDIT:
After going though your postings again and having a look into the Ferrofish and Apogee converters:

It’s all about selecting a fitting “Mode” in ADI-2 Pro.
AD/DA Converter–Mode should be the one, see manual page 38.

You can have Analog In going to Optical (ADAT) Out, and Optical (ADAT) In can be selected for monitoring on XLR or Phones 1/2, and Phones 3/4 too.

Then using Ableton’s input 25/26 for recording of the analog summed signal, and output 25/26 for monitoring, should work with a straight 1:1 routing in TotalMix.

If you don’t want to sacrifice 8 DA-channels for connection of ADI-2 Pro, an inexpensive ADAT Optical Splitter could supply the channels 25-32 to the Appogee DA, while feeding the same to ADI-2 Pro.

https://appsys.ch/en/products/adat-spli … /ads-8#buy

https://appsys.ch/images/stories/ADS-8/toslink-splitter_hires.jpg

6 (edited by CtrlFreq 2023-02-23 10:33:51)

Thank you for your reply. I have included a diagram of my setup to help paint the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv8kb3dwjjl67 … m.JPG?dl=0

CtrlFreq wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I have included a diagram of my setup to help paint the picture.

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb/AB1OLOHB07B49c8fRqBbyNl-iquwEzuYjk40B7dGL5UfS4fIBEAl_EKM5428nalvOVjCAX2H2WaVfjq-x-CcMYuduAUh8axgYEVGPiQFow82pVfFBR3PNVGO93WhZLxBIbnrND3FenRp_rjzrOf7abEEskURJbJK7_ObZ_0zNqNxJZXvE2vswEJifkBhlLPMQzqXM8WPkNEVnEj8V3l09-_8ekzEuuMf_xQ-BpXwf8svnHo9kMS-2ulLHgSKgypLqJtqdUTqLUVCYhr9cFDxNZZOw4K4IteUg4dDj6ldV6pnq7ZmxBLQ3GXpzK334SZdKP3JZPxIctOoWvlStlqOEYXttF2Jl83tFj4wS1Gnf3RpQikZMB9qNw-nYKsRiuT8Fuc/p.jpeg

The image doesn‘t load here, but I hope my edited post helps you further..

8 (edited by CtrlFreq 2023-02-23 10:37:42)

Please see the link below for the diagram

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv8kb3dwjjl67 … m.JPG?dl=0

I want to use the ADI-2 Pro as an AD converter to capture the high quality of the sound passing through my analog hybrid mixing setup. Also, I would like to monitor and use headphones to mix everything passing through this chain.

To do this, the analog sum will go to the ADI-2 Pro, then ADAT out to the Digiface interface, then I will have to ADAT back in the DAW mix to the ADI for monitoring. I'm just not sure how to configure TotalMix FX to achieve this.

I need the ability to monitor the DAW master output - which will include a return track insert that has the AD-converted analog chain from the ADI-2 Pro.

9 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-23 12:45:29)

I see.

You‘re missing a digital path to ADI-2 Pro for monitoring directly from the PC / Ableton.

This is why I suggested the ADAT Optical Splitter to feed both the multichannel DA and ADI-2 Pro at the same time.

Might be best to use PC / Ableton out 1/2 instead of 25/26, as this is what Windows probably uses für system-wide sounds too.

TotalMix would simply run 1:1 feed-through.

10 (edited by CtrlFreq 2023-02-23 18:53:32)

I have connected ADI-2 Pro ADAT Out to ADAT 1 In on Digiface, and Adat Output 1 on Digiface to ADAT Input on ADI-2. ADAT Out 2 and 3 have been sent to Ferrofish ADAT 1 and 2 Input.

Having a very hard time configuring TotalMix FX to route properly. I can't get the ADAT Input 1 from ADI-2 Out to Digiface to show up in TotalMix. So that prevents me from routing Ableton Master Bus back to ADI-2 for monitoring.

I really appreciate your time and if you can help me solve this I will buy you lunch via PayPal!

11 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-24 01:38:33)

Let my try to steer you through the configuration step by step.
And thanx for your offer, this advice comes for free.
If we ever meet I’ll come back to it smile

First try one single change:
• Set: Setup / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Optical Out: “ADAT”
Do you get a signal now?

If not let’s run all through.

• Remove any possibly connected USB-cable.
USB can block changing some mode settings.

• Remove all digital cables from ADI-2, except the 2 optical ones.

• Check the optical cables, each In goes to Out.
Do yo see the red light on both?

• Reset ADI-2 to factory default to have a clean starting point:
Push and hold VOL button (NOT Volume Dial) and Encoder 1 while powering up, until you see a confirmation screen “Reset done”.
EQ Presets and stored user setups are not deleted by this.

• Set: Setup / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: “AD/DA”.
(Manual page 38).

• Set: Setup / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Dig. Out Source: “Default” .(should be there already) (Manual page 38).

• Set: Setup / Clock / Clock Source: “SPDIF”.

• Set: Setup / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / SPDIF In: “Optical”.

• Set: Setup / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / SRC: “OFF”.

• Set: Setup / Options / SPDIF/Remap Keys / Optical Out: “ADAT”.

• Set: I/O / Main Output 1/2 / Settings / Source: “SPDIF” (to monitor signals from Ableton on your speakers).

• Set: I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Source: “Analog” (to check if “Analog” really gets a signal, plug your headphones into PH3/4).

TOTALMIX:
Reset to factory default, or route channels 1 and 2 straight through, for both ins and outs.
Hit “X” to see the matrix, the 0 dB level boxes should look like a straight diagonal, every input is routed to it’s same numbered output.
Here’s a collection of video tutorials about it, the 1st one covers this:
https://www.rme-audio.de/de_totalmix-fx.html

Something like the picture on the bottom.

Now:
you should see the 1/2 input meters of Totalmix show your signal,
and you should be able to record the signal from input 1/2 in Ableton,
and route it to ADI-2 for monitoring.

I’m not familiar with Ableton, so ... no further advice how to configure and route signal in Ableton.

https://dspconcepts.com/sites/default/files/rme_mixer.png

KaiS - you are the best! I finally got it working, thanks to your patience and quality advice. My other DA converter isn't landing until Saturday, so I must reconfigure it; I can pass the DAW mix back into the ADI-2 Pro. The channel output numbers don't match up in the DAW, but I think the Toslink splitter you linked earlier will resolve that issue.

I'm new to TotalMix and RME products; thank you for your excellent technical advice. The ADI-2 Pro FS AD conversion through my analog chain sounds fantastic!

Thanks again!

13 (edited by CtrlFreq 2023-02-24 19:54:43)

(UPDATE)

I had Balance Phones Mode: On in Setup > Options > Phones section. Turing this off fixed the problem! Thank you so much KaiS for all of your help!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One issue I just discovered. I think it's playing everything in mono. If I pan a channel in Ableton, it stays center if I hard pan left, and if I hard pan right, it goes completely silent. But on the Phones Out 3/4 graph on the ADI-2 Pro screen, I can see the left and right channel panning take place on the meter. So it has to be something with TotalMix FX.

With the signal hard-panned right, it is silent in the headphones 1/2 and 3/4. I can visually see on my converter, analog summing mixer, DAW, and ADI-2 Pro that it is playing on the right side only, but the sound coming back in from DAW to ADI-2 Monitoring is not playing out of the right side.