Topic: RME ADI-2 DAC volume control

Hello,

I have been using a Topping E70 for volume control on my monitors, but today the E70 randomly shot up from -30db to 0db hurting my ears (luckily the monitors are okay). With that said, the E70 will be getting returned. Does the ADI-2-DAC use an analog volume control? What is to prevent the ADI-2-DAC from doing the same to me if it uses digital VC like the E70? I am a bit of a beginner, just looking to be educated.

Thank you very much.

2 (edited by Muffin 2023-02-27 08:39:39)

Re: RME ADI-2 DAC volume control

You can use passive attenuators to avoid being blasted by your speakers when things like that happens, and then you can avoid returning the Topping DAC for that reason.  Below is a link discussing this:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

The underlying issue here might be that the E70 can be controlled from windows volume control (just guessing). The ADI-2 DAC can not. Also the ref levels usually allow you to have a higher volume setting in daily use, so if something goes wrong it can't reach 30 dB + volume.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The underlying issue here might be that the E70 can be controlled from windows volume control (just guessing). The ADI-2 DAC can not. Also the ref levels usually allow you to have a higher volume setting in daily use, so if something goes wrong it can't reach 30 dB + volume.

Thanks MC, although Windows volume was actually what saved me. The E70 LCD screen went from -30db to 0db and LOCKED at 0db. I don't think Windows had anything to do with the unit malfunctioning (although I may not fully understand what you're saying).

Either way, I was considering the ADI-2-DAC, but it sounds like I will never be 100% safe unless using passive attenuators? ADI-2-DAC's volume control is digital as well?

Thank you.

Yes
Yes

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-02-27 17:03:34)

strea wrote:

What is to prevent the ADI-2-DAC from doing the same to me if it uses digital VC like the E70?

On ADI-2 you can use a lower, fixed Reference Level.
This reasonably limits the output level and at the same time makes best use of the available dynamic range.

I’d even have a look at the speaker’s settings- there might be an option to bring the input down a bit, which again betters the dynamic range.

Not that I’ve ever happened to see the described problem with ADI-2.

KaiS wrote:
strea wrote:

What is to prevent the ADI-2-DAC from doing the same to me if it uses digital VC like the E70?

On ADI-2 you can use a lower, fixed Reference Level.
This reasonably limits the output level and at the same time makes best use of the available dynamic range.

I’d even have a look at the speaker’s settings- there might be an option to bring the input down a bit, which again betters the dynamic range.

Not that I’ve ever happened to see the described problem with ADI-2.

Thanks KaiS.

The monitors offer -6db to +6db input sensitivity. I was hoping ADI-2 could be my all in one solution without needing attenuators. It sounds like the fixed Ref Level can be helpful. I know the ADI-2 is a tool of extensive capability. Perhaps more than I even need. I won't use the headphone outs and I do my room correction via Equalizer APO. Hmm.. not sure if it's the proper route for me to go.