1 (edited by TMWSTT 2023-03-01 18:41:10)

Topic: RME Fireface 400 with Macbookpro 2023 - M2 pro chip (Works!)

Hi, i have tested the fireface 400 with the new (2023) macbook pro 14, m2 pro chip, with Logic Pro 10.7.7 and Ventura 13.2.1 and and everything works perfectly.

I even put the fireface in series with an old western digital Mybook external hd (firewire 800) and the macbook sees both without any problems.

I used the two apple adapters, Thunderbolt 3(USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt to Firewire (800) plus the cable which if I'm not mistaken was included with the fireface card, the 400 to 800 one.

I followed the procedure described on the official RME page to install the drivers on the M1/M2 and everything is fine

https://i.ibb.co/m8mfj5x/Whats-App-Image-2023-03-01-at-18-14-16.jpg

Re: RME Fireface 400 with Macbookpro 2023 - M2 pro chip (Works!)

Just installed a FF400 on my new MacMini M2 pro with great success today. Also used both Apple adapters plus a 800/400 dongle. Had to use a external power supply for the FF400 tho, as bus power seems not to be enough.

I just got an MBP 14" M2 to use with my FF800. I installed the drivers but the FF wasn't getting recognised at all. Queue lots of panicking over the last week sweating at the idea of having to buy a new interface until I saw this thread and followed your steps (I didn't realise RME had a guide for M1/M2 and was missing the vital kernel extension step). Just wanted to post and say THANK YOU as it was tumbleweed across the rest of the web and my usual forums for troubleshooting this! THANKS AGAIN!

Great to see this! The 'Dongle Train' seems clunky but hey if it works, it works.

I've just moved to the M1 Ecosystem & have found a deal for 350 Euro on a Fireface 400. I am aware this card is now around 16 years old.

I have never used RME but 'want in' after reading all the stellar reviews... But I'm on a budget!

Is the Fireface 400 Worth buying in 2023 for an M1 Machine? Or should I put my money towards something a little less dated? e.g Used BabyFace.

5 (edited by waedi 2023-04-01 11:36:13)

Yes. If you bring it alive with those adapters and you are happy with the number of inputs and outputs then it is worth.
For myself no, I stay away from Firewire and Thunderbolt, USB-C is the actual standard and the oldest Babyface can connect directly to USB-C with one cable and use the newest driver.
But hey, when it works and your budget has limits then the Fireface 400 is still a superbe audio interface.
Is the external power supply included ? You have to get one. For this price the power supply and cables should be in.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

6 (edited by oxlip21 2023-04-02 11:59:45)

Hi guys help!! I'm having trouble connecting my Fireface 400. Mac 2023, 14' M2 MAX. I have adapters connected like everyone else. After installing the latest driver, the card settings and TotalMix do not start. Like it wasn't card related. I installed everything according to RME instructions. But nothing..

Problem is my M2 MAX?. Ventura Is  #13. Driver is only MacOS 11,12. But your driver works...

@Waedi -Thanks for the insight.  I've got my hands on it (ff400) for a test! I have it working on an M1 Max & Old Intel Mac. Love the RME driver support, very impressed. It runs warm & I'm paranoid it'll fry me logic board, but it works. Running of a shoddy power supply I was given, doesn't seem the original. I don't dare try bus power for fear of frying my logic board. Question still remains.. Am I beating a dying horse? (one with impressive clarity for such a dated device)

@oxlip21 - looks like you need to properly amend the security permissions via recovery at Mac startup. Im on OSX12 cant speak for 13.

you have to use this driver (fireface 400/800)
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_fw_mac_341.zip

and this installation guide
https://www.rme-audio.de/rme-macos.html

onechanceout wrote:

I just got an MBP 14" M2 to use with my FF800. I installed the drivers but the FF wasn't getting recognised at all. Queue lots of panicking over the last week sweating at the idea of having to buy a new interface until I saw this thread and followed your steps (I didn't realise RME had a guide for M1/M2 and was missing the vital kernel extension step). Just wanted to post and say THANK YOU as it was tumbleweed across the rest of the web and my usual forums for troubleshooting this! THANKS AGAIN!

Thanks, I also couldn't find anything official in the various online forums about it, so I tried to get the card to work, and I decided to share everything.

10 (edited by claptastic 2023-12-26 18:04:11)

After a good 8 months of working without issue the driver now no longer connects on Ventura.

M1 Max running Ventura 13.5.2.

Nothing specific with my system has changed though there have been software installs of sorts.

Did Not Manually install OS software updates but maybe there was an auto update?

Hardware works fine & Cables all work (tested on older machine & OS. Working without issue)

Have attempted to reinstall drivers to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Did this - https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

-> didn't seem to work at first, several tries, restarts, driver reinstalls & worked!