Topic: RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE and Ferrofish Pulse16 + arc usb

Hello, I would like to use these three devices in the studio. RME ADI-2/4 as the main converter for the output of sound to the monitor system and Ferrofish Pulse16 for recording instruments. At the same time, I would like to control the system via the Totalmix and controller ARC USB. I had the idea to go by Digix USB, but the collision of the ads of outputs and the inputs does not allow me to turn on both devices and work on the full. The larger thing is that I need Clock Sinhractions. Ferrofish Pulse16 has the opportunity to establish the dante and Madi extensions, maybe this can help, I would also like to be able to expand the system in the future and have up to 32x recording channels. I am also interested in work in 96. I ask you to tell you how to build this system correctly, which interface to choose or perhaps I need adat Madi converters. I poorly understand the difference in digital methods of connecting and Clock synchronization for me is also an unknown area. I hope I managed to correctly formulate the question, since English is not my native language smile

Re: RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE and Ferrofish Pulse16 + arc usb

To me the best choice would be a MADIface USB as the computer interface to handle 32 I/O channels at 96k sample rate. Connect the Ferrofish converter via MADI, and connect the ADI to the Ferrofish via ADAT.

If you use a Dante system, then the Ferrofish unit should be synched to Dante, and the RME units sync to digital inputs coming from the Ferrofish (MADI input and ADAT input).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-03 16:47:45)

32 channels @ 96 kHz with TotalMixFX asks for a MADI solution:
RME MADIface USB:
https://www.rme-audio.de/de_madiface-usb.html

Add the Ferrofish MADI option.
Use Ferrofish optical ports to connect ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

thank you very much for the recommendations, in this case I will be able to see the ADI inputs and outputs in the total mix (as I understand it will work as a standalone device passing through a different interface?) will I be able to control the headphone outputs and the amp in the total mix? I am also interested in the question Word Clock what will be the master and how does it work? I apologize for my stupid questions, but this is the first time I've come across this.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-03 18:49:50)

Wordclock can go the same path as audio in the proposed config.
You just need to define one master and slave the other devices.

I prefer to set my computer/DAW (would be MADIface USB in this case) the master, so the overall system clock follows the project setting.

If you like you could use BNC / COAX WCLK, but that‘s not necessary.

In TotalMixFX you can label each in- and output with it‘s name and control from there.

What‘s possible according the internal routing in Ferrofish with MADI option, you need to see in it‘s manual.
At least the overview says 32 channels, which would make sense.

So maybe Ferrofish’s 1-16 analog I/O, 17-20 via optical to ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

KaiS wrote:

Wordclock can goes the same path as audio in the proposed config.
You just need to define one master and slave the other devices.

I prefer to set my computer/DAW (would be MADIface USB in this case) the master, so the overall system clock follows the project setting.

If you like you could use BNC / COAX WCLK, but that‘s not necessary.

In TotalMixFX you can label each in- and output with it‘s name and control from there.

What‘s possible according the internal routing in Ferrofish with MADI option, you need to see in it‘s manual.
At least the overview says 32 channels, which would make sense.

So maybe Ferrofish’s 1-16 analog I/O, 17-20 via optical to ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

Thanks for the information, now I know in which direction to move I will study the manual more carefully!