Topic: ADI 2 DAC FS + amp + active subwoofer reccomended setup

Dear RME community,

I was looking to get into more serious audio experience for some time now and recently from a friend who changed his place of residence bought RME ADI 2 DAC FS, Cambridge audio CXA81, pairs of Q Acoustics 3030i passive speakers and a Q Acoustics active subwoofer Q B12.
To be honest my experience and knowledge of audio equipment and terminology is basic and this is my first serious attempt to get into audio world a little and pursue good listening experience, when trying Shure SE535 with ADI2 I was pleasantly surprised what before mentioned IEM's can really reproduce, before was hooking them only to PC and cellphone...

My question for all you audio aficionado's would be how to connect subwoofer with ADI 2? Currently it is running a
PC via USB to ADI2, ADI2 via XLR to CXA81, active subwoofer via RCA to CXA81(Sub-Out).

How come that my subwoofer is playing although it is only connected to amplifier? Who is 'controlling' him, ADI or CXA81?

Should I change connection from PC from USB to optical or some other? Would there be some gain in this regarding musical quality, as understood from manual optical is limited to 192khz..

I am very green to audio setups but am willing to learn. All the best.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-07 08:59:38)

Re: ADI 2 DAC FS + amp + active subwoofer reccomended setup

sol wrote:

My question for all you audio aficionado's would be how to connect subwoofer with ADI 2? Currently it is running a PC via USB to ADI2, ADI2 via XLR to CXA81, active subwoofer via RCA to CXA81(Sub-Out).

How come that my subwoofer is playing although it is only connected to amplifier? Who is 'controlling' him, ADI or CXA81?

Both!
You can control volume etc. on either unit.

All connections done right.

sol wrote:

Should I change connection from PC from USB to optical or some other? Would there be some gain in this regarding musical quality, as understood from manual optical is limited to 192khz..

USB is optimum quality, Optical would work either, it‘s only a question of convenience, there’s no quality difference.
All sample rates from 88.2 kHz and up sound equally good.

Playing your music tracks in their native, original sample rate give best possible quality.
CD files e.g. are 44.1 kHz, and no manipulation of the file will gain extra information- wherever should it come from?!