Topic: How to connect ADI-2 FS to HDSPe AES

Hello

Long time RME user. Plan A was to upgrade my good old Fireface UC to a UCX 2. Becoming impatient, I picked up a HDSPe AES PCIe card, with Plan B of also getting a ADI-2 FS as I don't need more than 2 channels of AD/DA.

Now as I examine physical inputs, I am slightly confused. The HDSPe has a 25 pin DSUB connection, whereas the ADI-2 FS offers one (SPDIF/AES) RCA In and one RCA Out.

I've never worked with DSUBs before. I assume that if I get a 25 pin Tascam DSUB to 8 RCA cable, that it's just a matter of figuring out which cables are Channel 1/2 In and Channel 1/2 Out, and connecting those to the ADI-2?

Re: How to connect ADI-2 FS to HDSPe AES

I think pin assignment is in the manual

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-09 09:27:44)

From the HDSPe AES PCIe card’s description:

”... 25-pin D-sub connector, providing four AES inputs and four AES outputs via standard digital breakout cable (Tascam pinout).”

You need a Tascam pinout cable:
• D-sub 25 to 4 x XLR female an 4 x XLR male,
or some soldering skills, cutting a standard XLRf-XLRm AES or mic cable in half and soldering it to a D-sub 25 each.
Pinout is on page 80 in the manual.

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/styles/news_large/s3/imagelibrary/q/qa_1019_02c_aes59_tascam_digital-4faUelES7eErfvCD378A0.P_JtlprTil.jpg

D-sub is easy to solder and work with.

Mic-cable instead of special 110 Ohm AES-cable will do for distances occurring in a studio.

Many thanks for the very useful information. I do realize now that the HDSPe AIO would offer easier connectivity with an ADI-2-FS. And (slow learner) that with any of the latest HDSP cards, someone doesn't really need the ADI at all?

And I also now get that I could just as easily stick with the older FF UC and run the ADI-2 through that.

I bought the HDSPe AES in a rush because these days one grabs any RME device that one can, but also because I was briefly considering a Burl B16 with AES only connection, and the HDSP seemed to be the best way to connect. Then I came to my senses and grabbed an ADI-2, with the HDSP already in hand. So I have had the cart before the horse the whole time.

I now have a surplus of RME possibilities, which isn't a bad problem.