1 (edited by hasan.ay386 2023-03-10 16:05:17)

Topic: Automatically changing filters (Feature request)

I have a question. The Adi-2 Pro fs automatically switches to slow filter at 192khz. But why not earlier at 88.2 or 96khz?

I have to switch the filters from Fast(or sdld) to Slow every time I listen to higher sample rate Music It would be a good idea to have a setting that automatically switches the filter to Slow when switching to the higher sample rates, and then back to the previously set Fast filter when listening to 44.1 or 48khz Audio again.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-10 16:32:50)

Re: Automatically changing filters (Feature request)

hasan.ay386 wrote:

I have a question. The Adi-2 Pro fs automatically switches to slow filter at 192khz. But why not earlier at 88.2 or 96khz?

I have to switch the filters from Fast(or sdld) to Slow every time I listen to higher sample rate Music ...

In fact the DA-Filters don’t do much from 88.2 kHz sample rate and up.
I can detect the audible differences for 44.1 and 48 kHz files, but non above.

Do you?

3 (edited by hasan.ay386 2023-03-10 17:06:50)

KaiS wrote:

In fact the DA-Filters don’t do much from 88.2 kHz sample rate and up.
I can detect the audible differences for 44.1 and 48 kHz files, but non above.

Do you?

Yes definitely, maybe I am a bit more sensitive to transients.
I even did blind tests with other person. I turned my back and he switched randomly between the filters. Even at higher sample rates I can hear the difference, not only that, but I can also tell which filters are active. Except between SD Slow and Slow. There I can no longer hear the difference. With loudspeakers it is more difficult. But with good headphones I hear it immediately. That's why it bothers me, because I constantly have to switch between the filters manually when I change the sampling rates.

EDIT: You have to listen to the lower frequencies. E.g. kick drums or bass guitars.

Above 192kHz (at 8x and 16x rates) the DAC chips are always using the same minimal NOS-like filter, regardless what's been selected :-)

5 (edited by hasan.ay386 2023-03-12 13:09:36)

KSTR wrote:

Above 192kHz (at 8x and 16x rates) the DAC chips are always using the same minimal NOS-like filter, regardless what's been selected :-)

I know, I am talking about 88.2 and 96khz.
it would make sense that it changes automatically there as well, then the optimal filters are used at every sample rate without having to think about it again.

I think this is also the case with prism converters. they have different filters at higher sample rates.