1 (edited by The Beatsmith 2023-03-18 13:49:47)

Topic: Glitching / looping problem with Logic & System audio

Hi,

I'm getting severe glitching and looping in certain (usually larger) projects in Logic when I try to press play (video 1). It also affects system audio i.e. when I press play in Logic, it causes stuttering in a YouTube video playing back in Safari (video 2).

The Logic playhead gets caught in a 'loop' before it will play back.

I was suspecting a plugin problem but due to the fact that this is affects system audio, I'm wondering if this is a problem with the audio interface. All the plugins I'm using are M1 native except for one (removing it does not change anything). Removing plugins from the master bus doesn't seem to change anything either.

I also got huge, unpredictable, ear damaging blasts of sound/white noise when recording in this same project.

Here is a video showing the problem: https://youtu.be/7Autw6vs4Rc

Here is another video that shows YouTube video stuttering when I press play in Logic: https://youtu.be/ZDUdOP275Fs

The only thing I can think of is that I am using my TotalMix FX Snapshot/Workspace from my old Intel Mac Pro. I'm going to have to spend a few hours re-configuring my Totalmix workspace from scratch to see if somehow it could be the reason.

Is this possibly due to my MADIFace Pro, or the drivers?

This problem does not occur when using system audio in Logic / OSX

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

Specs:
- Logic 10.7.7
- MADIFace Pro USB (Firmware v73 Driver v3.28. TotalMix FX 1.78) connected to SSL Alphalink SX & Lavry DA10 (via AES from the SSL)
- Monterey 12.6.3
- Mac Studio M1 Ultra
- Plugins from Slate Digital, PSP, SSL, Soundtoys, etc. No weird esoteric plugins being used.

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 14.3.1, Logic 10.8.1

Re: Glitching / looping problem with Logic & System audio

After hours / days of on/off troubleshooting, this problem is 'resolved' by setting Logic's process buffer to MEDIUM instead of LARGE.

I have no idea if this is a Logic bug or an RME bug, but I thought I'd report back here.

I'll file it to the Apple support folk too.

Cheers,

Ed

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro USB, SSL Alphalink 24 SX/Lavry DA10, macOS 14.3.1, Logic 10.8.1

3 (edited by The Beatsmith 2023-03-19 15:33:33)

Re: Glitching / looping problem with Logic & System audio

Actually, this is still occurring today, to a lesser degree, but it's still there. I think it occurs when the MADIFace is set to a master clock.

The only way I can get it not to happen is to set SSL to master clock on the hardware, and setting FireFace settings to Clock Source: MADI Optical, 56 channel, and it's currently set to 96K Frame.

I seem to be forced into these settings despite preferring the MADIFace for clock so that the SSL would follow software sample rate changes.

Still investigating but open to more advice if you have any.