Topic: Asio disappeared in JRiver

Good morning to all,

I've just updated my Dac 2 FS and downloaded the new drivers also.
I use Jriver media center with Windows 10, and I noticed that the Asio disappeared from the setup page. I can only use direct sound, wasapi etc.
May you tell me why and what I should choose now?
Thank you very much!

Re: Asio disappeared in JRiver

Rebot the computer. Unplug and replug the ADI. Start JRiver, ASIO is back.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

Already tried, 3 times just to be sure, but nothing happened.

4 (edited by MstrC-117 2023-03-22 21:56:09)

carlozzidaniele wrote:

Good morning to all,

I've just updated my Dac 2 FS and downloaded the new drivers also.
I use Jriver media center with Windows 10, and I noticed that the Asio disappeared from the setup page. I can only use direct sound, wasapi etc.
May you tell me why and what I should choose now?
Thank you very much!

ASIO was the go-to -solution till Windows XP -reign, when Windows didn´t yet have such a feature. From Vista onwards WASAPI has been available, doing what ASIO does, but as Microsoft´s own in-build functionality of Windows being much more compatible. This was over 15 years ago.

I don´t understand this clinging on ASIO, still in year 2023. Wake up, please... if you are not running Windows XP or earlier museum-version of Windows, you can ditch the ASIO for good. And use WASAPI instead. WASAPI Exclusive does exactly what ASIO does.

Entirely different question is though, why and where this previous ASIO -option in your playback software has vanished, after driver update.

Conclusion: DO NOT UPDATE WELL WORKING DRIVERS. Update driver only if there is an ACTUAL PROBLEM. An actual problem is the problem which affects directly to YOUR use of ADI. Not someone elses in internet. In device this complex, there is always someone in internet, having some problems with it. That follows, in practice you never achieve stable system if you update among internet "common problem-knowledge" i.e. every time new driver pops up to fix someone elses problems.   

No actual ADI-problems = no ADI -driver updates. EVER.

carlozzidaniele wrote:

Already tried, 3 times just to be sure, but nothing happened.

Does any other software see the ASIO driver? Never had this issue with my JRiver, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don't think so. I just use JRiver, no others updates or drivers downloaded in the meanwhile.
Anyway I restored the PC to a previous point, and now Asio are present.

Wasapi is the same of Asio?
I remember I've read different opinions about that on this forum.