Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE vs Digiface USB Clock

I run a hybrid setup with a RME Digiface USB > Apogee DA16X/Ferrofish Pulse 16 > Dangerous Music 2Bus+/Dangerous Music 2Bus LT > RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE - Back into the Digiface.

I have been clocking everything using the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, but when the unit goes into standby mode, and I come back to my studio to turn it on, the Digiface defaults to 41k sample rate instead of 48k. I have to manually go into Madiface driver settings and change the clock source to internal, set it to 48k, then change the source back to ADAT Input 1 for it to pick up the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE clock that runs at 48k. It's slightly annoying.

My question is, if I use the internal Digiface clock, how does it compare to the FS clock from the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE? Will the quality be the same or is the ADI-2 clock better?

If the ADI-2 clock is better, is there a solution to the clocking issue I'm experiencing where I have to change source and then re-select the ADAT In 1 source to make it go back to 48k?

Thank you,

Production, Mixing, and Mastering services - www.summithousestudio.com

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE vs Digiface USB Clock

Good question I think theoretically it is better to use the Adi-2 Clock, but I am not sure about that…
I would like to add an additional question to yours: If we use the clock in the digiface. Is it better to activate the SRC in the Adi-2 pro fs for reclocking the signal with the better clock?

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-24 18:11:58)

hasan.ay386 wrote:

...If we use the clock in the digiface. Is it better to activate the SRC in the Adi-2 pro fs for reclocking the signal with the better clock?

No, resampling changes the content, it’s the opposite of what you want.
Sync the clocks.

SRC is a great tool to match different sample rates, like a 44.1 kHz source to an 48 kHz project.

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-24 18:23:01)

CtrlFreq wrote:

My question is, if I use the internal Digiface clock, how does it compare to the FS clock from the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE? Will the quality be the same or is the ADI-2 clock better?

i cannot comment on what’s going wrong in your config.

Just a basic answer: the unit that is used for AD-conversion should be clock master, all others slaved.

Internal clock always wins over a clock send from somewhere else (with reasonable built devices).

ADI-2 Pro FS is an exception in so far, as it handles external clock as good as it’s internal one.

So if that helps with your config, you can clock slave ADI-2 Pro FS.