1 (edited by x.dusee 2023-03-23 09:48:33)

Topic: ADI-2/4 Pro SE vs ADI-2 Pro Fs r black edition

Hi guys, i am new to the forum, and a wanted some information before i make my choice for one of these 2 units.

I am a in the box producer, using FL Studio. I have a headphone amp Topping A30-Pro, and use the DT1990 pro's.

I want to use RME as my main DAC to produce on directly from my Imac 27".

Now the question is, i see that the black edition has only got one pair of balanced stereo XLR outputs. And one pair of TS unbalanced outputs on the back.

If i decide to hook up an extra set of monitor speakers to AB on in the future, this can only be done via the TS connection, unbalanced on the Black edition?

Will i notice the difference in balanced and unbalanced output?

And is this the main reason to go for the ADI-2/4 Pro Se? Besides the new specs and Vinyl recording feature.

Hope you guys can help me out, because i cannot wait to get my hands on one of these, thanks in advance.

Re: ADI-2/4 Pro SE vs ADI-2 Pro Fs r black edition

The ADI-2/4 has the advantage that the 2nd DAC can drive the rear TS1/2 separately.
Interesting for people who need this either for sub or for a separate mastering chain.

My advice to you is to get a combination of recording interface and either ADI-2 Pro FS or ADI-2/4 Pro FS R.
This way you have a lot more of flexibility for routing and other things.

See this article in my blog about the integration of ADI-2 DAC/Pro into your setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Addition: Both ADI-2 and 2/4 have balanced TRS in the back.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

The ADI-2/4 has the advantage that the 2nd DAC can drive the rear TS1/2 separately.
Interesting for people who need this either for sub or for a separate mastering chain.

My advice to you is to get a combination of recording interface and either ADI-2 Pro FS or ADI-2/4 Pro FS R.
This way you have a lot more of flexibility for routing and other things.

See this article in my blog about the integration of ADI-2 DAC/Pro into your setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Thanks for your swift reply, interesting post! Let me tell you more what i want to achieve, i want to eventually connect a second pair of monitors to the ADI-2 pro FS R. But i read that that is an option but for the second pair there is only one option being unbalanced outputs.

I now have the Focusrite 8i6 but i want to have the best dac out there for mixing and mastering so eliminate the 8i6 consumer grade card.

Hope it is more clear and that you have an idea for me what to do ideally

5 (edited by ramses 2023-03-23 14:49:15)

The question is, how much money you want to spend.

A DAC alone gives you no digital mixer.

The ADI-2 DAC/PRO product line already offers nice routing capabilities for certain scenarios.
It also has a little intelligence built-in, to change the mode according to what cables you plug and
some modes that can only be chosen manually.

BUT … it won't give you the flexibility of TM FX, which offers more features and is easier to operate.

A combination of UCX II and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE - or ADI-2/4 Pro SE - would give you high flexibility and is IMHO the ideal combination.

BTW … A 2nd pair of monitors you could also connect to the UCX II …

But if you want the analog input for turntable anyway, the combination is then UCX II and ADI-2/4 Pro SE
and then you can connect both pairs to the ADI-2/4 Pro SE and - I didn't check yet -
maybe switch by remapping of the keys or saving two different configs
and select the two monitor pairs either at the device or via the remote.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

As far as I understand, you do all the mixing in FL-Studio.
No need for RME TotalMixFX then.

So, the only thing you want is high quality monitoring capabilities.
And you need the turntable RIAA input.

Just ADI-2/4 Pro SE will serve you well.

Regarding a 2nd pair of monitors connected:
Rear XLR and TRS can not be muted indepently, so an inexpensive, balanced switch box is best to handle this:

https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-Switcher … amp;sr=8-3
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/IMAGERENDERING_521856-T1/images/I/31ObS6Xp2YL._AC_.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/IMAGERENDERING_521856-T1/images/I/719KRP3zmdL._AC_SX679_.jpg

7 (edited by x.dusee 2023-03-24 17:38:23)

KaiS wrote:

As far as I understand, you do all the mixing in FL-Studio.
No need for RME TotalMixFX then.

So, the only thing you want is high quality monitoring capabilities.
And you need the turntable RIAA input.

Just ADI-2/4 Pro SE will serve you well.

Regarding a 2nd pair of monitors connected:
Rear XLR and TRS can not be muted indepently, so an inexpensive, balanced switch box is best to handle this:

https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-Switcher … amp;sr=8-3
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/IMAGERENDERING_521856-T1/images/I/31ObS6Xp2YL._AC_.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/IMAGERENDERING_521856-T1/images/I/719KRP3zmdL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Thanks for your answer. I will try to explain a bit more of what i want to achieve.

Yes i mix in FL Studio and i have no need for totalmixfx no. I have my vst masterchain in FLstudio.

I want to have one of the best dacs out there with the best latency it gives. I read that RMe makes the best possible performance drivers. I hope this is the case for this 1699€ black edition too.

I want to connect my DT1990 pro headphones and read that it is world class second to none headphone outputs.

So while producing the Black edition must work flawless and have proper low latency. I know it depends on the cpu etc. But you know what i mean. Latency must not be less than my current 8i6, which is decent already. So when i hook the black edition to my imac and it performs less i will feel that it is inferior which i do not believe will happen.

So when i am done arranging i will be mixing and need the 3d spectrum to be clean clear and wide so i can surgically place my instruments in the spectrum. My DT1990 pros connected to the Topping a30 pro already give a proper translaten of a mix but i want to be sure that the Black Edition will surpass the current 8i6 A30 Pro dt1990pro combi, sound stage and quality wise.

Then for the mastering i only use vst plugins on the master, fabfilter eq, ozone5, ozone 7 Dynamic EQ, Vintage warmer2, Fabfilter L2.
And when i adjust these i want the Black edition to give me the cleanest translation of the effects / eq / compression / limiting applied. Again my 8i6 does the trick but i believe the black edition will bring something more to the table by reading the specs and watching tons of positive yt vids.

Last but not least, currently i have hooked up the Clarity M Stereo to the spdif out of my 8i6 giving me a perfect representation of lufs, vectorscope image and levels per band. The black edition has an optic out so this should work too.

And finally i am a sucker for external non cpu hurting displays, which is the case with the black edition, i have not seen a device with such a gorgeous display.

There and that’s my case.

And on this bombshell, the question remaining, will the ADI-2 Fs R Black edition serve its purpose in this case. Wanting the best quality translation of the mix and master for my own productions. I want to save time by having the best possible output translation during this whole process, iso only listening after rendering a track out. When i hear something that needs to be tweaked i want to be able to jump back into the mix and edit, correct and render out again.

My monitors being: Neumann Kh310A.

On the black edition there is only one balanced stereo XLR out. So this switch box you suggested could let me connect a second pair of monitors via the TS connectors 3/4.

So my theory is, the Adi-2 Fs R BE will serve its purpose. But only a producing Black Edition owner will know.