Topic: System Vol Control - ADI 2 DAC or Preamp?

My ADI 2 DAC outputs via XLR to a preamp which also has a volume control.  I use the preamp vol control for other inputs such as phono stage and cd player.  When using the ADI 2, should I set the vol to an arbitrary level such as 0db, and use the preamp or visa versa.  How does the ADI 2 vol Ref level affect this - if I am using the preamp vol should the ADI2 be set to Auto, or one of the 4 available levels.  If I use the ADI 2 vol, should I set the preamp loud or quiet - it has no digital read out of db level.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-24 16:05:15)

Re: System Vol Control - ADI 2 DAC or Preamp?

If you are used to set the listening level with your preamp, use ADI-2 with fixed level:

• Switch off “Auto Ref Level“.
• Set ADI-2‘s volume to 0 dB.
• Manually choose a Reference Level that gives you about the same loudness like your other sources.

Thank you.  I will do this.  However, when using the head phones, hence no preamp, do I then have to re select auto ref control, or is the fixed ref I use with the preamp only applied when the line output is selected?

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-24 16:46:15)

Mitchlees66 wrote:

...when using the head phones, hence no preamp, do I then have to re select auto ref control, or is the fixed ref I use with the preamp only applied when the line output is selected?

Yes, but you have to do this only once.

ADI-2 detects when you plug in headphones, and switches and remembers a completely different setup including ALL settings and DSP parameters, even volume.

Thanks again
Mitch