Topic: BabyFace and TotalMix - Can you monitor Tidal, Spotify, etc?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if TotalMix can achieve what I can achieve using loopback software on a MAC, such as SoundFlower, Loopback.

I have been trying to use TotalMix and its loopback feature, but I can't seem to get it working the way I intend.

In my case I want to hit play in Tidal, and for that audio to get inputted to Logic (as opposed to going to RME output), where I do input monitoring, apply FX (like analyzer), control volume.  Using software like Loopback or Soundflower I can do that easily.

I tried doing this in TotalMix. Now, on my MAC, one limitation of my BabyFace Pro seems to be that some MAC programs will only see the 1/2 outputs of the RME. So if I set the RME outputs to loopback, I can get the audio into Logic, but if I try to perform software monitoring then a feedback loop ensues, which I suppose makes sense. I suspect what I am trying to do is doable in TotalMix, but I have not been able to get it to work.

Any ideas on exactly how to setup TotalMix and Logic in order to do this sort of realtime monitoring?

thanks,
Brian

Re: BabyFace and TotalMix - Can you monitor Tidal, Spotify, etc?

bhuether wrote:

apply FX (like analyzer)

Hi Brian
No idea about your actual question, but for analyzing you can test RME DigiCheck which is an amazing collection of tools.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

3 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2023-03-26 17:54:43)

+1

@bhuether
Hello!

You could try this:

- Set an unused stereo Output for Logic, for example AS1/2
- Leave your other apps on their default AN1/2
- Now, go to TMFX, click on AS1/2 to select it(3rd row in TMFX), enable LoopBack, and raise AN1/2 in Software Playback(2nd row)
and keep AS1/2 Input(1st row) to -inf.
- Now, click on your Main Output to select it (AN1/2 I guess), with that Output selected, raise Software Playback AS1/2(2nd row),
-EDITED- and keep AS1/2 Input(1st row) to -inf, as well.
- Select AS1/2 as Input in Logic and turn off Logic 's Monitoring

Now, you can monitor through TMFX!
If you want to change an app 's Input to Logic:
- Click on AS1/2(3rd row) and increase or decrease AN1/2 in Software Playback(2nd row)

Save that configuration as a Snapshot, for when you want to use Logic this way.
Also, save your basic configuration as a Snapshot for everything else!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

I think I got it working. You just have to be careful with the faders on the middle row in the mixer.  Here is what I did:

1. Set Logic output to, say, ADAT 3/4.
2. In RME TotalMix, use AN 1/2 as output that you will hear - where everything you hear is from Logic. That means in middle row, the only fader that is not all the way down is ADAT 3/4.
3. In bottom row set ADAT 5/6 to Loopback. In middle row in TotalMix, the only fader turned up is the computer default output (in my case far left fader in middle row of TotalMix).
4. Create audio track in Logic, with input from the RME inputs corresponding to ADAT 5/6. Set it for input monitoring.

With this, I can have Tidal streamed into Logic, and I control the Tidal volume in Logic.

This was the only way I could get rid of weird feedback issues. The drawback of above is no audio from elsewhere (youtube, etc) heard if not being routed through Logic. But for a mixing/mastering session I could just have this as a TotalMix Snapshot understanding its peculiarities then switch to other snapshot for normal computer use. Unless someone has a better way...  That said, even if I leave Logic, say play a YouTube video, I will still hear the audio if that streaming track is still set for input monitoring, because like Tidal, it is going through Logic's default output.

thanks,
Brian

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

+1

@bhuether
Hello!

You could try this:

- Set an unused stereo Output for Logic, for example AS1/2
- Leave your other apps on their default AN1/2
- Now, go to TMFX, click on AS1/2 to select it(3rd row in TMFX), enable LoopBack, and raise AN1/2 in Software Playback(2nd row)
and keep AS1/2 Input(1st row) to -inf.
- Now, click on your Main Output to select it (AN1/2 I guess), with that Output selected, raise Software Playback AS1/2(2nd row),
-EDITED- and keep AS1/2 Input(1st row) to -inf, as well.
- Select AS1/2 as Input in Logic and turn off Logic 's Monitoring

Now, you can monitor through TMFX!
If you want to change an app 's Input to Logic:
- Click on AS1/2(3rd row) and increase or decrease AN1/2 in Software Playback(2nd row)

Save that configuration as a Snapshot, for when you want to use Logic this way.
Also, save your basic configuration as a Snapshot for everything else!

I guess I would have to run through these steps and try it out, but I got things working last night after spending quite some time wrapping my head around the TotalMix architecture.  I see you suggest using loopback on the output set for Logic. What I did was use some arbitrary other output that is purely loopback purpose only. In my case ADAT 5/6, while Logic is ADAT 3/4.  In TotalMix I select ADAT 5/6 output, and have it so that only the far left fader is turned up. In my case, that fader is for the default output that programs use if they can't select an output. So Tidal, browsers, for instance.

So far seems to work, no feedback issues, volume control of Tidal I do in Logic. Also I have Logic set to Software Monitoring. Otherwise doesn't work. If your method works without Logic's Software Monitoring then I will go with your method!

I couldn't get your method to work.  One of my requirements was to have monitoring work in Logic, and at same time have Logic insert effects work. That way all from within Logic I can have my project, and have an extra reference track to monitor Tidal, and place something like analyzer and loudness meter as an insert. Also, to control volume of Tidal in Logic.

7 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2023-03-28 13:02:01)

Aaah, I see!

bhuether wrote:

One of my requirements was to have monitoring work in Logic

Sorry, missed that!

Lots of possibilities with TMFX!
Glad you got it working the way you like!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632