Topic: Sound quality question

Contemplating a scenario, mixing in the box.

I have a couple Audient ASP880 mic preamps running into a fireface800. Spdif out of the fireface into an ADI pro2 for monitoring. I like the AD of the Audient, and I like the DA of the ADI.

Would upgrading the Fireface to say the new UFX3 gain anything sonically that is clearly audible assuming I'm using the UFX3 in the same manner as how I'm using the Fireface?

Also wondering how the AD/DA converters compare in the UFX3 to the ADI2 pro?

Thanks for any feedback.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-03-26 18:40:39)

Re: Sound quality question

Some people claim that newer RME converters sound better compared to the very old ones like in FF800/400.
Whether this is really true and has been proven by valid blind tests ...

I would expect little improvement, how much this means to you in your room with your monitors, you have to try that out.

The AD/DA converter of the UFX III will be fully sufficient.
The ADI-2 Pro series offers converters where you can change AD and DA filter which is not possibly with the converters being used in recording interfaces.
Additionally, it offers some very useful features that you won't see in any recording interface:
- 4 reference levels
- auto reflevel selection to optimize SNR/dynamics over wider range
- dynamic loudness
- 5(7 with B/T) Band PEQ
- SRC (sample rate converter)
- high power phones outputs which can drive any headphones
- balanced phones output
- Bit test to check for end-to-end lossles audio path
- remappable keys
- crossfeed
- and more

An option for you would be to integrate only an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE or ADI-2/4 Pro SE to your FF800.

More information here in my Blog, if you are interested:
- https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/
- https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

I make good experience with the combination of
- UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (for recording and for music playback with ADAT connection to my HiFI corner) and
- separate ADI-2 Pro FS R BE for A/D and D/A conversion in my HiFi corner

My current setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachme … setup-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses. Your diagram and explanation are very good, but it doesn't quite answer my question of just swapping the fireface for the UFX3 having any impact in sound for scenario of not really using the converters in the UFX3.

Adam

Such sound comparison you should do yourself.
Nobody has your ears, room, monitors, other equipment, your personal tastes for sound.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Totally valid and great point. I just don't want to spend $3200 to find out. Thanks.

6 (edited by ramses 2023-03-27 07:51:10)

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with RME. Converters are at a high level nowadays and RME knows how to drive them in the best possible way and to design the analog amplification stages accordingly high quality.

You can consider the conversion as high quality, transparent.
Just look at what RME gets out of the converters compared to high-end studio devices that cost 3 to 4 times as much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHG32aXBDY

Apart from transparent, high-quality conversion and technologies to minimize jitter (SteadyClock FS), I think RME is the only manufacturer that does everything right in all relevant areas.

FPGA based design, USB/… Communication via FPGA (no 3rd party devices), drivers, documentation, TotalMix FX. Extreme long driver support (up to 20 years for some products). Excellent support via User Forum. You have direct access to RME via the user forum.

In addition, high resale value on the used market because of the quality / reputation and the very long driver support, there are still the old Firewire interfaces from ~2004 for a pretty good price sold on the used market.

I would simply try that in your place.

> Totally valid and great point. I just don't want to spend $3200 to find out. Thanks.

You can surely ask your dealer, whether he sends you both devices so that you can check it out yourself.
Sadly, all prices went up due to Corona, delivery chain problems and other economic factors.

Thanks again. You don't need to sell me on the value of the product though.

What really got me questioning all this, oddly enough, was recording electric guitar through captor x into the audient preamp, then via adat to a ua apollo. Then I got to trying other things like, audient to apollo analog, or apollo16-2 analog, then about 4 different mic preamps in various combinations. From all that, and really confirming my suspicion from previous use of the audient via adat on drums (for years), I think the audient converters sound better than my ua units. So then got the adi2 and more experiments, and I think that sounds great.

So... dug out my old, 15 year retired fireface800, and what do you know, it works fantastically, and particularly on the functional side for my use case. That's what got me questioning to maybe ditch the apollo stuff altogether and go with something else from RME, just not sure if I really need it.

I know I could buy one and return it, but I just feel it's sort of unethical to just "try it".

Thanks again.

It should also be completely clear on the dealer side that you simply have to try something out in certain constellations. To ease your conscience, call the dealer of your choice and ask him the question.
If he can answer it (which I doubt), then you would have an answer (which may or may not be correct). I rather think that he will respond to your request and send you 1-2 units, after all he has a concrete chance to make the deal with you.
That's just the crux of the mail order business, and the stores have also bought into this sales model.
If you do it in moderation and do not overdo it, then there should be nothing against it.

agotheridge wrote:

Thanks Ramses. Your diagram and explanation are very good, but it doesn't quite answer my question of just swapping the fireface for the UFX3 having any impact in sound for scenario of not really using the converters in the UFX3.

Adam

The UFX 3 is not designed to sound in any way different or "better" than other RME devices. It's not the interface that's intended to make or improve the sound, it's your mix or mastering.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

10 (edited by ramses 2023-03-28 15:18:53)

Sound is such a hot discussed topic. I hope I do not tell too much nonse below.
At least this is my personal impression. But I might be wrong wink

@Daniel, are we all really saying the same thing in this thread?

I think you're possibly talking about easily perceptible sound differences, that a device doesn't add anything to the sound, transparent conversion. All RME devices certainly fall under this category, regardless of the age of the converter and the price.

Now, a counter example: KaiS prefers the slow filter on his ADI-2 Pro FS because he has found in listening comparisons that percussive sound sources are easier to locate. I haven't been able to determine that myself in my (acoustically unoptimized) environment and the mostly lower volume levels, but I believe him. In my opinion, he has the necessary background and the methodology to find out something valid.

Recording interfaces do not use D/A converters, where you can set different filters. I think there are only default filter in use with the highest possible linearity over the entire frequency response / low latency. Where the differences are, if I understood KaiS exactly, are mostly only hearable when using single speed.

But does that automatically mean that with different recording interfaces, nothing is happening around D/A conversion?
From discussions on audioscience review forum, I read some interesting postings on that topic. There appears to be a recognizable consensus that converter technology is basically at a high level. The main thing here would be the quality of the amplification stages behind it, which bring the signal to line level. Certainly also things like signal routing, activation of the converters in the firmware and whatever else.

Well, I can't prove it and I don't know if my ears are made for the job. But to be honest, I can't really imagine, when I take in all these impressions and information, that it doesn't really matter whether you're using a fairly old FF800 with converters from 2004 or a top current device like the UFX III or ADI-2 DAC/Pro .

That would also make your "promotional videos" like the Converter Shootout, where an ADI-2 Pro FS competes against HEDD and Lavry, somehow "ad absurdum". First, regarding the statement that Mr. Einstmann prefers the ADI-2 Pro for certain styles with its linearity/resolution in the bass (if I recall that correctly). I think he also says in the video that he prefers one of the three converters, depending on the sound material. At least here the good news, RME delivers devices that are nearly as good as high-end studio converters (specialized for AD and without add-on features) to a fraction of the price.

Well, RME may design the devices carefully, converts them transparently and squeezes out the last bit of quality. But, conversely, does that really mean that there are absolutely no differences, no matter how far back in time you go with the converters?

As I said, I can't prove it, but somewhere I can understand when such topics irritate in a certain way.
Am I doing right buying this or that etc ...

To sum up, up to a certain degree, I see it like you, RME does a high quality transparent conversion with all products.
But I doubt a little that there is nothing more to say than that.

Personally, I see it all quite pragmatically. With RME devices, I have a great sound at home, also with high-end HiFi devices. I trust RME the most here, without any (marketing-) Voodoo, to deliver the best quality with current converters.

But I really think everyone should find out with their ears because not all ears, rooms, setups, tastes are the same.

11 (edited by agotheridge 2023-03-28 15:00:07)

RME Support wrote:
agotheridge wrote:

Adam

The UFX 3 is not designed to sound in any way different or "better" than other RME devices. It's not the interface that's intended to make or improve the sound, it's your mix or mastering.

Thanks, but I'm still not really getting all this.

Are we saying that if we take the converters out the equation, the 15 year old fireface sounds the same as the newest rme interface devices? Like the clocking doesn't matter, or that the difference in clocking is so small that you might or might not hear it?

On the converter side, these things have to sound different. I've fairly meticulously compared the DA of the fireface800 to the the Apollo 1 series, 2 series, 3 series, as well as the ADI unit (the $2k one). Those all sound very different to me. That's in at least a 1/2 decent room that is about +-5db in frequency response and about 250ms decay time until the frequency gets really low, then it's about 750ms below say 100hz. Not that I'm an expert by any means, but that's the scenario and environment.

I would think if nothing else, using a modern RME interface, say the UFX3, would sound significantly better than the ad/da on my old fireface, but taking the converters out of the equation, I still can't believe that something that old would sound the same as a current version.

Either way, appreciate the response. And Ramses, thank you for all your input too. I know I'd have to really try it to see for myself, but there has to be some inclination one way or the other without buying a new unit.

And FWIW, I'm totally amazed that the old fireface800 really works well on the current m2 apple machines. That says a TON about the company, and frankly why I'm here asking questions.  Thanks.

You can’t assume new is better. What about all the people with vintage hi fi who swear by it? New may have a lot more features and compatibility. You’re only going to get a subjective answer on here even if someone does have them side by side. One may suit the playback equipment better yet not on different playback equipment.

I know RME strive for neutral and have the best driver support which lasts over decades not years. I moved to RME a couple of years ago and that is where I will stay if the ethos remains the same. The best move I ever made.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Thank mkok. Another good point well taken.

agotheridge wrote:

Are we saying that if we take the converters out the equation, the 15 year old fireface sounds the same as the newest rme interface devices? Like the clocking doesn't matter, or that the difference in clocking is so small that you might or might not hear it?

In terms of converters,  15 years isn't that old... I think people tend to believe that converter technology progress is somehow comparable to e.g. digital cameras or mobile phones. But it isn't. Converters do not sound dramatically different (upwards of a certain quality level, and then it's more likely the whole circuitry, not just the AD and DA that's inferior).
You can immediately see that a video recording is 20 or 30 years old, but could you identify a high-end classical music recording as being from the 90s because of the converters? Hardly.
If you can't make a good recording with the converters in e.g. a Fireface 800, chances are you just can't make a good recording, and the UFX III won't save you (generic "you" here)...
And whether the differences you believe you heard between devices would stand in a double-blind test with exactly matched levels - who knows... And if, there's more to a device than the converters only.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Although this is an older Thread i Thought I would share my personal experience. I recently upgraded to a Fireface UFX II (from a Fireface 800) and have noticed a significant improvement in detail/clarity. I directly compared AD and DA conversion, and it seems to me that with the UFX II I can hear more detail, e.g. more resolution in the audio - more "open" high frequencies, less "muddy" bass, clearer reverb-tails.

But you have to have the room acoustics to be able to hear the difference, or good quality headphones. I spent about 3000€ on room treatment to get +/- 2dB over the whole frequency spectrum with max 400ms RT60 at 40Hz. Also Neumann Monitor Alignment software !Greatly! helped me in getting a flatter frequency response (with Neumann monitors & sub).

I think i would not be able to significantly make out the improvement in AD/DA quality in the low-midrange in an untreated room. High frequency resolution maybe.

I think the better AD/DA is 50% for my audiophile needs, 25% for making more reliable mixing decisions and 25% for being able to be able to add high quality shizzle into my mixes so people with high quality playback devices can hear them ^^

Interesting discussion!
I'm also still making music with a Fireface 800 and was thinking of upgrading, but then it would be nice if sound quality improved. That would justify a new interface.

I really appreciate the last post of RME Support, but also curious to know what user Nitras heard.. and if I would hear the same difference in my semi-treated room with Sonarworks.

Is it me, or is the initial question still unanswered? Using only the digital inputs and outputs, there is absolutely no difference between old and new interfaces. Digital audio signals / data stay untouched on their way from (external!) AD - ADAT/SPDIF - interface - USB - computer and same way back to (external!) DA.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

IMHO it is not the same even if using digital path. Newer RME will have lower jitter than old ones. And it may, may not improve sound on external DA depending on how well it handles jitter.

Kubrak wrote:

IMHO it is not the same even if using digital path. Newer RME will have lower jitter than old ones. And it may, may not improve sound on external DA depending on how well it handles jitter.

Jitter is part of the converter not relevant in digital signal forwarding.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

20 (edited by ramses 2024-03-21 13:27:01)

waedi wrote:
Kubrak wrote:

Jitter is part of the converter not relevant in digital signal forwarding.

I would say it in different words.
I see your intention, you want to say, that jitter doesn't disturb or alter digital audio data.
Ok, but only up to a point where the jitter doesn't become too high, that you might lose lock/synch.
Fortunately, RME devices have Steadyclock, which can handle even an extreme amount of jitter, see comment in MCs video.

But Jitter is not part of the converter. The converter needs a clock signal for AD or DA conversion.
If the clock signal would have too much jitter, then the conversion quality is impacted.
You can only produce a nice waveform, when the time basis (the clock) is solid and not jittered.

Here comes Steadyclock [FS] into play ... it can lock and synch fast on a digital connection and keeps the lock reliably.
Most people use such a digital link like ADAT, SPDIF, AES, MADI for both, transport of data AND the clock (alternatively WC, but in most cases only if needed, to save the additional WC cabling).

So .. even if you have a jittered clock signal via either a digital port or via WC, Steadyclock eliminates jitter to a high degree which makes the D/A conversion better.

On devices like ADI-2 DAC/Pro, ADI-2/4 the design goes so far, that the final conversion is being performed with the internal FS clock even if the device operates as (clock) slave.

What I want to point out, not the D/A or A/D converter has jitter in the "analog domain", then quality of conversion depends on the clock signal no matter whether it comes from a digital port or WC. Jitter is IMHO not a "feature" or "problem" of the converter itself.

21 (edited by Kubrak 2024-03-21 12:58:49)

I meant something in line ramses wrote... But also wanted to point out, that if DA (which clock is synced by ADAT) does not have something like Steady Clock FS so that it is able to handle jitter well, RME's cleaning clock signal (minimizing jitter) improves result of DA.

22 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-21 13:22:56)

The Fireface 800 has the 'old' Steadyclock built in. The difference to the UFX III with Steadyclock FS is probably not relevant. The more regarding the fact only good quality units are involved (ADI-2 pro and Audient ASP880).
And I really like Daniels statement in post nr. 14!

23 (edited by ramses 2024-03-21 13:28:59)

oli77sch wrote:

The Fireface 800 has the 'old' Steadyclock built in. The difference to the UFX III with Steadyclock FS is probably not relevant. The more regarding the fact only good quality units are involved (ADI-2 pro and Audient ASP880).

Yes, it was already mentioned that FS clock is useful to reduce the measurable SNR, but the difference was said to be inaudible for the ADI-2 * series of reference converters (between non-FS and FS version of those products), because SNR was already so high that noise floor was already inaudible even without FS clock.

But where you mention FF800 and UFX III, you hear quite a few comments from people who tell that according to their experience the newer converter (maybe in combination with new analog section, who knows) produces a better sound compared to approx 20y old products like FF400 and FF800.

As a side note … perhaps see also a few statements here in the quite new blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … ios-en-de/
It also contains the link to MC's very interesting YouTube video about SteadyClock, measurement examples, ...

24 (edited by oli77sch 2024-03-21 23:50:40)

ramses wrote:

But where you mention FF800 and UFX III, you hear quite a few comments from people who tell that according to their experience the newer converter (maybe in combination with new analog section, who knows) produces a better sound compared to approx 20y old products like FF400 and FF800.

What I wrote above is, just as the initial question was, only about digital signals reaching and leaving the RME interface.