Topic: Question About Hooking Preamp to RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Just bought the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition. I use it exclusively as an A/D converter. (Love the sound!) My recording chain is this:

2 mics → 2 channel mic preamp → ADI-2 Pro FS R BE → Laptop (DAW)

My preamp has only TRS-balanced outputs. As it happens, I have two different cables handy:

1) TRS-balanced male to male

2) TRS-balanced male to XLR male

I’m currently using the cable that’s TRS at both ends. I assume this is a better connection. But I really don’t know. (I’m a musician, not an audio engineer.) So here’s my question. Is there any difference between these two cable types when hooking my preamp to the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE?

The ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is far beyond my understanding. I’ve tried reading the manual, but it’s all Greek to me. So I’ll appear here from time to time asking basic questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-03-29 20:00:47)

Re: Question About Hooking Preamp to RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Technically both cable types are good and will work.
Mechanically the XLR is the better connection (for the electric contact), use this.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Technically both cable types are good and will work.
Mechanically the XLR is the better connection, use this.

Interesting. I originally used the TRS to XLR cable. Then I found I had a pair of TRS to TRS cables, and assumed they would be a more secure connection. Of course, I’ll defer to your expertise and reconnect with the TRS to XLR cables. That said, I’m curious. I assumed TRS is simpler and thus more secure. So if it’s not too complicated to explain, why is XLR the better connection?

4 (edited by waedi 2023-03-29 20:20:19)

the female socket and the male pin have a huge area of touching each other so the transmission of electric signal goes better.
The TRS socket has some stiff wire touching the plug in a point, more critical to corrosion.
The TRS are on the other hand more secured in the socket against pulling out by mistake.
When both cables are correct balanced made then the difference is neglible.
For myself I use XLR whenever possible, more expensive and less problems.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for your quick, helpful, and concise response. As it happens, I’m writing a user review of the ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition that I’ll post on Gearspace and Amazon. So I’ll be sure to mention RME’s excellent customer support.

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-29 22:44:39)

regal1956 wrote:

...I’m writing a user review of the ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition that I’ll post on Gearspace and Amazon. So I’ll be sure to mention RME’s excellent customer support.

Might be good to collect some more experience and information before publishing.

We‘re always here to help you out if you have questions.