Topic: Can I Control Volume of Preamp to DAW Via ADI-2?

I use the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE exclusively as an A/D converter. My recording chain is this:

2 mics → 2 channel mic preamp → ADI-2 Pro FS R BE → Laptop (DAW)

(The ADI-2 is connected to the laptop via USB.)

Question: Via the ADI-2, when recording can I adjust the volume of the preamp into the DAW? The reason I ask is that my preamp’s gain knobs are calibrated in 6dB increments. Sometimes this is too coarse—one notch up is too hot, one notch down is too low. So it will be helpful if I can fine-tune preamp gain through the ADI-2.

Note: I’ve tried without success to figure this out by reading the user manual. The manual likely is more useful to engineers than to musicians such as me. It also doesn’t help that I’m old and have no mechanical aptitude. So I’ll often end up here when I have a question. I thank everyone in advance for their patience.

2 (edited by rawac 2023-03-30 02:42:19)

Re: Can I Control Volume of Preamp to DAW Via ADI-2?

Chapter 5.6 Analog Recording
Channels 1/2 of the ADI-2 Pro have digitally controlled gain and four hardware-based reference levels. The digitally controlled gain offers a gain setting in steps of 0.5 dB within a range of 0 dB to +6 dB, for fine-tuning the input sensitivity.

Chapter 12 I/O
The I/O menu has all the settings for the three analog stereo I/Os Analog Input, ...
12.1 Analog Input
12.1.1 Settings
Subpage Settings has the following entries:
Trim Gain Left, Trim Gain Right
Digital amplification of the input signal between 0 and +6 dB, in steps of 0.5 dB. Main use is to fine-tune the input sensitivity so that it matches the reference output level of external gear.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

To be honest, I didn’t entirely understand your post. Until now, I haven’t tried using the IPS display. But your post inspired me to give it a try. Combining your instructions with some trial and error exploration, I was able to adjust the volume of my preamp through the ADI-2. (Hooray!)

Since the A/D filters were also accessible from the same menu, I was also able to experiment with them. In fact, accessing the A/D filters was to be my next question on the RME user forum. So your help enabled me to kill two birds with one stone.

It appears I’ve much to learn about the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. (Being able to say the full model name from memory will be a formidable accomplishment.) The help I’ve received here is making this easier. Thanks.

The idea is that the reference levels allow a "rough" adjustment of the input sensitivity within the limits of the usually found studio levels. As there do different studio standards exist worldwide. Partly also reaching into the range of "consumer levels". This is done by switching between discrete analog circuits on the board.

The digital trim gain allows you to make fine adjustments and add 0-6 dB of gain in 0.5 dB increments.

> Being able to say the full model name from memory will be a formidable accomplishmen

This already puts you way ahead of some others wink Enjoy your new toy.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13