Topic: Firmware Update ADI-2/4 Pro SE DSP 32, ADI-2 Pro DSP 117

The latest firmware update for 2/4 and 2 Pro addresses several reported issues.

ADI-2/4 Pro and ADI-2 Pro series

- Plugging TRS 1/2 with Dual Phones Off prevented lower priority messages to show up (like EQ On/Off).

- ‘Load B/T with Preset - On’ made sticky. This option is no longer set to Off during sample rate changes and other actions. We hope the new way is more what the user expects.

ADI-2/4 Pro only

- Crossfeed was inactive on Line Out 1/2

- In the VOL page a press on Encoder 2 did not center Balance for Phones Out 1/2 and Phones Out 3/4

ADI-2 Pro only

- Units with AKM DAC: if Direct DSD is on and DSD playback is ongoing, turning the VOLUME encoder changed PCM volume in the background.

The firmware update tools:

Win: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_win.zip

Mac: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_mac.zip

No changes in the manuals this time.

Some comments

- The improved Dual Volume scheme of the ADI-2/4 Pro (DSP 30) will be transferred to the ADI-2 Pro in the next firmware version

- Adding the RIAA gain stages of the ADI-2/4 Pro to the remote commands requires extensive memory optimization. We therefore had to postpone this addition, hopefully possible and added to the next 2/4 firmware.

- There is a funny ‘volume can be turned up to 11’ bug (so the display claims) in a specific setup with the ADI-2 Pro, that will be fixed in the next firmware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Firmware Update ADI-2/4 Pro SE DSP 32, ADI-2 Pro DSP 117

Did the update on my 2/4 this morning and everything seems good so far!

MC wrote:

- Adding the RIAA gain stages of the ADI-2/4 Pro to the remote commands requires extensive memory optimization. We therefore had to postpone this addition, hopefully possible and added to the next 2/4 firmware.

No worries, thanks for considering it in the first place, and hopefully it can be squeezed in at some stage!

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

MC wrote:

- Plugging TRS 1/2 with Dual Phones Off prevented lower priority messages to show up (like EQ On/Off).

Glad to see the bug I reported (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 66#p188466) being fixed!

We try to fix everything (sooner or later wink ). Thanks for reporting!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As using Win10 with UAC2 and this FW (no RME drivers loaded) as playing WASAPI Exclusive 1kHz & 44.1kHz at 0dBFS

On ADI-2 Pro Status list gets:

- Analog out shows with the small top red bar as 0 dB as OK

- Digital out as SPDIF & AES shows already the BIG overdraft red bar as NOK, lower by 0.2..0.3 dB it gets only the small red bar as OK

Is this by design as IMHO a bug.

It is by design and not a bug, and is the same with drivers or from digital input. The OVR detection reacts differently on 16 and 24 bit signals (explained that here before), and on the analog output the big red OVR follows the available analog headroom (is shown at +3 dB volume). That has also been discussed here before.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, while matching the EQ of Oratory1990 for Adi2/4 Pro, some Q-factor EQ can't go as high, and some filters can't change filter type, is it possible to get update on latest firmware release?

jsawmusic wrote:

Hi, while matching the EQ of Oratory1990 for Adi2/4 Pro, some Q-factor EQ can't go as high, and some filters can't change filter type, is it possible to get update on latest firmware release?

no. o1990 is not precisely modeled after adi-2 and should be used as reference only. blindly copying won't work.

Simply use the min/max values that ADI offers - the difference is too small to be relevant. See also our video here:

https://youtu.be/_Nq9ZGAYTwU

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,
I have been having problems with sounds in Windows for a long time...
I have the sounds in Windows 10 set the same as in Windows 7.
According to this guide:
https://cs.phhsnews.com/how-to-change-w … ows-102704

The problem is from driver version after 09801. The sound (click) does not work when switching between folders.
I think this sound is too short and that creates a problem.
For that reason, I still use the 09801 version of the driver - work without mistake.
Can you fix this problem?

Thank you...

I don't think we can fix this problem. You might be able to work around it by loading the 64 ms long wav file into a wav editor and add some empty space in front of the sound, making the file more long. The file is called Windows Navigation Start.wav.

That said on my Windows 11 computer with driver 0.9824 Windows Sound panel happily plays that sound/wav file when assigned to any action.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I understand, but it's an unnecessarily complicated solution.
As you write... It is a work around, not a solution.
Can you recognized where is different between version 09801 and later?
I think You can recognize why is work fine with 09801 and why is not work with later version...

For instance... With driver of ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX work without any problem on ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX cards.

Sorry, that won't happen. And I don't see why my proposed workaround is 'unnecessarily complicated'. It would take 2 minutes to add some space and assign the modified wav file in the Sound control panel - without the need to edit the registry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Again, I don't understand where is the problem.
As a developer, you can probably tell how version 09801 differs from newer versions, right?
If not, I don't understand it at all.
If something worked, why can't it continue to work?
And why does another manufacturer's sound card driver work with their sound card?
There will definitely not be a problem in the USB interface...
Evidently, RME has a problem with processing short signals, and this is a fundamental problem that can manifest itself elsewhere.
You/RME should be interested in solving such errors and not bypassing them.
That's a developer's job, right?

Hello MC,

A brief question.Is there any objection to feed the ADI 2/4 Pro by a 12 volt DC battery. I owe a SAC Epsilon preamp. that is powered by batteries. Only problem was the lifetime of the lead batteries. Now that new types of batteries are available, I am investigating the possibilities to recommision the Epsilon again. Batteries are in our houses, so why not feed our audio systems by DC ?
The Epsilon feeds by +24-0- -24 volts DC.
Regards, ATC/ Gert R.J. Smit.

P.s. : The Epsilon is a design of Walter Fuchs (Former SAC /Essen)

No objection at all

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello! I just became a user of RME ADI -2 PROFS RBE. There is firmware 117 and in the firmware update window the fallback value is -1 - what does this mean, the converter is connected to Mac OS Monterey and works in USB mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vu4jcpg8 … 6&dl=0

T.Hresil wrote:

...If something worked, why can't it continue to work?
Evidently, RME has a problem with processing short signals, and this is a fundamental problem that can manifest itself elsewhere.

Usually I would keep my mouth shut but in this case I would support this claim.
If something reproducibly goes wrong it’s worth to investigate and fix it.

aydaproducer wrote:

Hello! I just became a user of RME ADI -2 PROFS RBE. There is firmware 117 and in the firmware update window the fallback value is -1 - what does this mean, the converter is connected to Mac OS Monterey and works in USB mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vu4jcpg8 … 6&dl=0

This is a display problem only. There is a valid fallback version but its version number can not be read. There might be a few more units showing this '-1'. Don't worry, this fallback version is never updated (it does not need to) and will work when necessary - when flashing fails and the firmware has not been updated correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME