Topic: RME UCX cant get it to work on my macbook

Hello

I bought an RME UCX years ago and I am very happy with it. Now i changed my computer and i am having trouble trying to get it to work. I installed the Flash update and also the latest drivers. The problem is i cant figure out how to tell it connect with my speakers or my computer. Sorry for being ignorant I was never good with these technical stuff. 

Can someone send me a tutorial or explain here how to do this?

Many Thanks
Phil

Re: RME UCX cant get it to work on my macbook

Connect with USB cable to the Macbook and also to the power supply.
In MacOS System preferences Audio devices : select UCX as input device and output device.
Open Totalmix and make the routing from software playback channels to the ouput where the loudspeakers are.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for your help!

I have my speakers connected in Balanced Line output, Left speaker on channel 2 and right speaker on channel 3.
First 2 steps you mentioned I did so all good. My question now is for the 3rd step.

"Open Totalmix and make the routing from software playback channels to the ouput where the loudspeakers are."

This i have no idea how to do. Can you elaborate a bit further?
I googled to see if I can find out how to this and I read that i can access routing software playback channels by pressing X on the keyboard. Now I am not sure how I even go back to the previous interface.

Thanks so much again for all your help

4 (edited by waedi 2023-03-31 17:07:14)

In Totalmix click onto that output channel where your loudspeakers are connected.
May be there is a output channel called AN3/4 ?
Click it to make it highlighted, it is now the active submix channel.
Now just lift up the fader of Software Playback channel 1/2 where your music plays, it is routing to the loudspeakers now.

Also there is a ASSIGN button in Totalmix bottom right side.
It is useful to assign the Mainout to the Loudspeakers, in your case AN3/4.
And further more the Phones 1 is to assign to PH7/8 for having the headphone socket at the front accessible in a comfortable way.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

AudioPhil wrote:

I have my speakers connected in Balanced Line output, Left speaker on channel 2 and right speaker on channel 3.

That was hopefully a typo. I can't imagine anyone doing something that un-intuitive.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

"That was hopefully a typo. I can't imagine anyone doing something that un-intuitive."

I am sorry what do you mean? As i explained I dont have the knowledge regarding connecting everything and I am trying to learn. What exactly is un-intuitive?

Output 1+2 is a stereo pair. Output 3+4 is a stereo pair.

Output 2+3 is a mistake. 2 is the right side of the first pair and 3 is the left side of the second pair. So routing does not work correctly without a lot of changes.

Just connect the left speaker to out 1 and right speaker to Out 2.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Great thanks for the explanation. I hope by trial and error i will learn to use this properly.

9 (edited by ebmmbongo 2023-04-04 19:39:18)

AudioPhil wrote:

Great thanks for the explanation. I hope by trial and error i will learn to use this properly.

This will get you going in no time (the RME Youtube channel, Guides and tutorials):
https://www.youtube.com/@RMEAudio/playl … shelf_id=4

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One