1 (edited by Waltong 2023-04-02 22:24:36)

Topic: Using BF Pro in Standalone with HDSPe AIO Pro

Is this a workable setup to use the BF Pro as a preamp and I/O in standalone to connect digitally to the HDSPe AIO Pro?

Specifically, I would like to know if the Headphone output and Instrument 3 and 4 on the Babyface Pro would still be controlled through TotalMix FX via the AIO Pro?

2 (edited by waedi 2023-04-02 23:49:52)

Re: Using BF Pro in Standalone with HDSPe AIO Pro

Yes Standalone Adat connection to AIO is no problem, page 90 in the user manual tells a lot of details.
No, Totalmix controls always the connected interface only, the AIO in your case.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by Waltong 2023-04-03 00:20:04)

waedi wrote:

Yes Standalone Adat connection to AIO is no problem, page 90 in the user manual tells a lot of details.
No, Totalmix controls always the connected interface only, the AIO in your case.

Ok, I would need to adjust the levels for Inst 3/4 and Preamp 1/2 physically on the Babyface. This is a drawback as I had Mix snapshots saved on TotalMix FX for various Microphone and Instrument configurations on the Babyface.

3 questions then:
1) How are most people taking advantage of Mix Snapshots when using any RME product with outboard gear via ADAT?
2) How will the MIDI input from the Babyface be handled by the ADAT if at all?
3) Will I be benefiting from the FS spec on the AIO Pro if Babyface is doing the A/D conversion from the Mic Preamp to ADAT?

4 (edited by waedi 2023-04-03 00:27:07)

1 not
2 no midi over adat
3 The BF can sync to the AIO over Adat, but I think there is no benefit

5 (edited by Waltong 2023-04-03 12:36:17)

waedi wrote:

3 The BF can sync to the AIO over Adat, but I think there is no benefit

I really want to understand further how to achieve the full benefit of the steadyclock FS;

1) Is the way to take full advantage of the updated FS steadyclock by only using the AIO Pro analog inputs to do A/D conversion?

2) Does using the ADAT input, where a 'non-FS' based circuit has already done the A/D conversion, diminish the full benefit of the AIO Pro's steadyclock FS?

The AIO Pro manual states something about using Bitclock PLL with the ADAT ports. Not sure what that is vs Steadyclock FS.

It is the first stage of clocking and decoding the ADAT signal. SteadyClock comes after that and smoothes the resulting word clock for internal and external usage.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Waltong 2023-04-03 12:43:50)

MC wrote:

It is the first stage of clocking and decoding the ADAT signal. SteadyClock comes after that and smoothes the resulting word clock for internal and external usage.

Aside from the Bitclock.. any insight on the best way to take full advantage of Steadyclock FS?

It seems from the literature that jitter is basically zero when using the internal DAC circuit and that there is more noise/jitter that needs cleaned up when piping in ADAT or SPDIF. This seems to indicate that direct analog into AIO Pro would be best for jitter?

It doesn't matter at all. There is only minimal jitter in a normal setup, and even the older SteadyClock removed that completely. You should use the units as it best fits your needs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Waltong 2023-04-03 20:30:00)

MC wrote:

It doesn't matter at all. There is only minimal jitter in a normal setup, and even the older SteadyClock removed that completely. You should use the units as it best fits your needs.

In the case of the RME Autosync feature over ADAT, which would the AIO Pro use as the Master Clock when the BF Pro is connected VIA ADAT? Would the AIO Pro utilize its internal clock?

yes.

Only if it's clock is set to 'Internal'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Waltong wrote:

3 questions then:
1) How are most people taking advantage of Mix Snapshots when using any RME product with outboard gear via ADAT?
3) Will I be benefiting from the FS spec on the AIO Pro if Babyface is doing the A/D conversion from the Mic Preamp to ADAT?

Well, you speak of using BF Pro standalone, but if it is connected by ADAT to AIO, it does not necesarily mean it cannot be also attached to computer using USB. And in that case you could use TotalMix snapshots/TotalMix.... And MIDI from BF would go to computer....

Kubrak wrote:
Waltong wrote:

3 questions then:

Well, you speak of using BF Pro standalone, but if it is connected by ADAT to AIO, it does not necesarily mean it cannot be also attached to computer using USB. And in that case you could use TotalMix snapshots/TotalMix.... And MIDI from BF would go to computer....

That's how I use it

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

14 (edited by Kubrak 2023-11-05 11:00:38)

Than no problem for you. You may use TM snapshots to set BF and use MIDI from BF in computer. It will go throught USB, not by ADAT.

I do not have AIO and BF, but it should work as in case whan using any RME gear that uses TM. You will be able to swith between BF and AIO and set/recal whatewer you need.

Changing snapshots works independently for each device. But when using ARC USB (maybe other controllers) one may set it so it changes snapshots on several devices.

I use TM to controll four RME devices and no problem. But one driver may controll only up to three devices (I am not sure, if three applies to the same devices or any devices). MyRME devices run on two different drivers, so I cannot test.

The only disadvantage of using USB in this case is the danger of ground loop.... If you attach BF just by ADAT it is electrically isolated from computer.