Topic: Domestic Room Calibration question

I'm considering ordering a "Sonarworks SoundID Reference Plug-in for Speakers & Headphones with Measurement Microphone" kit to deal with my domestic room mixing situation and was wondering if it's recommended.

Also, I was thinking I could use the EQ on my RME ADI-2 DAC fs to make the corrections instead of a plugin in my DAW.

If anyone has experience and advise on this I would appreciate it very much.
I have Dynaudio BM5a's and a KRK 8" subwoofer running out of my RME ADI-2 DAC fs.
I have some sound treatment in my room.

Thank you all in advance!!!

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-03 19:07:42)

Re: Domestic Room Calibration question

stacyodellnyc wrote:

I'm considering ordering a "Sonarworks SoundID Reference Plug-in for Speakers & Headphones with Measurement Microphone" kit to deal with my domestic room mixing situation ...

Also, I was thinking I could use the EQ on my RME ADI-2 DAC fs to make the corrections instead of a plugin in my DAW.
I have some sound treatment in my room.

if you have an iPhone you could try Audio Tools by Andrew Smith first.
It changes the iPhone into a complete, precise Analyzer / Microphone combination.

There‘s a free version too.

ADI-2’s 7 bands of EQ is more than enough for any reasonable room correction, in a treated room few well placed corrections should do the job.

3 (edited by stacyodellnyc 2023-04-03 20:34:56)

Thank you KaiS! I will give your recommendation a try!!! Might you also know where I can download AudioTools for iPhone for free? I searched but couldn't find it...

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-03 23:38:56)

stacyodellnyc wrote:

Thank you KaiS! I will give your recommendation a try!!! Might you also know where I can download AudioTools for iPhone for free? I searched but couldn't find it...

There are various modules like RTA, FFT ect.

The FFT is the IMO, best suited one for room acoustics:
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/fft/id298840058

I’m not quite sure if there’s still a free or test versions, as I already have it, this info is not displayed for me.

Thanks again KaiS... I'll give a try!

stacyodellnyc wrote:

Download on iPhone app site.  Great tool set.  Basic modules are free and others you must do in-app purchase.

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-04 16:09:36)

yuhasz01 wrote:
stacyodellnyc wrote:

Download on iPhone app site.  Great tool set.  Basic modules are free and others you must do in-app purchase.

Great!

• FFT App has a setting called EPPO (see below) that I prefer over the standard FFT, as it maintains same frequency resolution for treble and bass.

Standard FFT (as a matter of principle) has a high relative resolution in treble, but a lower one in the bass.

• If you set 1/3 octave smoothing, you get an easy readable but still detailed display.

• Use of an independent source for Pink Noise makes handling much easier, as you don’t need to make a cable connection to the iPhone that is used as mic/analyser.

If you have a 2nd iDevice, load the app there too, or use any Internet source or a fitting app on your playback system for the Pink Noise.

Here’s an explanation for EPPO, from Audio Tools help files:

Equal Points Per Octave (EPPO). In this mode, a fairly small FFT (512 points) is run, but only the top octave from this FFT is used. So ... we get about 120 data points in the top octave (think of it as 1/120th octave resolution). Then, we decimate and filter to get the sample rate down to 24kHz, and then run another 512 point FFT. So again, we get 1/120th octave resolution. We continue this process right down to the lowest octave. The result is excellent resolution across the frequency spectrum. The cost is that each octave only updates half as quickly as the octave above it, so the low octaves update much more slowly. The upper octaves, however, retain a very quick response.

Thank you again KaiS!

I decided to order a miniDSP UMIK-1 and use the REW (Room EQ Wizard) app. I'll let you know how the process goes and how it works out. Thank you all.