Topic: Digiface AVB Milan and Meyer Sound Galaxy

Hello all

I'm coming here to ask for advice and maybe report a bug in the Digiface AVB Milan side of things.

From what I understand MeyerSound's Galaxy processor can accept 48k Streams which are upsampled to 96kHz internally for processing. To do this, the Galaxy expects a connection that I can do in Hive and upon connection the talker (the RME) should report the sample rate to the listener (Galaxy) so that it can adapt the incoming stream. However what the Galaxy is seeing is just a reported sample rate of 0.

Obviously I can manually tell each device what to do by manually adjusting the stream properties but it seems like there's a missing section of Metadata that the RME should be reporting upon connection.

Am I wrong in my understanding of this? also folks from Meyer commented that if the sample rate was reported then the Galaxy would just handle the situation correctly. Also, if manually configured there doesn't seem to be any dropouts or problems other than the Galaxy saying that it can't see the sample rate of the talker on its inputs.

Thanks in advance for your help

Best
JuanS

Re: Digiface AVB Milan and Meyer Sound Galaxy

Hi Juan,

did you set the stream format to AAF?

Obviously I can manually tell each device what to do by manually adjusting the stream properties

If you use the RME AVB controller to change sampling rates, each stream's format is adjusted along with it.
When using another controller (like Hive for example), then you will have to set the format for each stream manually, that is correct.

Regards
Marc

3 (edited by jdsierral 2023-05-02 20:55:38)

Thanks so much for your help with this smile.

and so sorry for my extremely delayed reply. Yes I did set the stream format properly, my problem is that the galaxy expects to get the sample rate as part of the meta data of the stream and apparently it is not getting it. What Meyer seems to be doing is based on the metadata adjust the input stream but since that information doesn't arrive then the Galaxy complains about it although setting it manually seems to solve the problem.

Now that you mention HIVE, I've been noticing that the RME AVB Controller closes itself randomly when HIVE is present. By opening the AVB Controller through the terminal I got the following log messages

[NOTIFICATION] (UNSOLICITED_RESPONSE_RECEIVED, 0x1cabfffe012438, 41, 0, 0, 0, 0x0, 0x0)
Unsolicited Response for device = 0 command = 41
[NOTIFICATION] (UNSOLICITED_RESPONSE_RECEIVED, 0x1cabfffe012438, 41, 5, 1, 0, 0x0, 0x0)
Unsolicited Response for device = 0 command = 41GET_COUNTERS locked 4
GET_COUNTRES unlocked 3

[NOTIFICATION] (UNSOLICITED_RESPONSE_RECEIVED, 0x1cabfffe012438, 41, 9, 0, 0, 0x0, 0x0)
[NOTIFICATION] (UNSOLICITED_RESPONSE_RECEIVED, 0x1cabfffe012438, 41, 9, 1, 0, 0x0, 0x0)
[NOTIFICATION] (UNSOLICITED_RESPONSE_RECEIVED, 0x1cabfffe012438, 41, 5, 0, 0, 0x0, 0x0)
[LOG] DEBUG (Re-enumerating end station with entity_id 4261487672ll)

then it crashes (The RME AVB Controller, without affecting connections)

The rest of the Log can be found here: https://we.tl/t-4YLoYjmj7q

To be honest at this point there's quite a few controllers in the system since its two computers each with AVB controller and HIVE and a Galaxy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Marc S wrote:

Hi Juan,

did you set the stream format to AAF?

Obviously I can manually tell each device what to do by manually adjusting the stream properties

If you use the RME AVB controller to change sampling rates, each stream's format is adjusted along with it.
When using another controller (like Hive for example), then you will have to set the format for each stream manually, that is correct.

Regards
Marc

Is that RME AVB Controller 09570?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Is that RME AVB Controller 09570?

Yes it says 0.9570 (15) on both Computers running the 2 Digifaces

By the way I was under the impression that the RME AVB Controller didn't have to be open for the connections with the interface to work. I thought it had to be open only for the connections to be stablished but now I'm noticing that as the app crashes the audio connection is lost too which now makes me a bit worried since the systems is very unstable at this point.

Honestly I would greatly appreciate if we could talk about it directly and get a bit more of direct help. Or is there a more official channel to get help from RME? because at this point it shifted from a bit of a software annoyance to a non-functional system for me hmm

Best

JuanS

By the way I was under the impression that the RME AVB Controller didn't have to be open for the connections with the interface to work.

This is true for windows, since there we have two separate processes: the controller app and the digiface service. When the controller crashes the service will continue to run.