Topic: Connecting UFX III to Behringer X32 ?

Is there a way to digitally connect UFX III to X32 ?

X32 only has AES50 inputs, but UFX III does not have AES50 outputs.
Am I missing something, or is it just not possible to connect these digitally ?

Re: Connecting UFX III to Behringer X32 ?

Via AES/EBU out, 2ch.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

User manual X32 :
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sy … 545886.pdf

Never seen AES50 before. Seems to be an AVB variation made by Behringer.
You can connect analog Ins and Outs between those units but not digital.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

ramses wrote:

Via AES/EBU out, 2ch.

I see, I should have specified ,I would like at least 8 channels, ideally 16.

5 (edited by ramses 2023-04-05 20:38:06)

You got me wrong, this is the only digital I/O port that I see on the back (of Thomann shop) which is compatible with UFX III.

I didn't find ADAT / MADI compatible expansion modules, but when googling for X32 and MADI I found that:
https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Beh … 011274-000

Ask Behringer whether they still sell this module. Check the internet or eBay whether you can get it new or used.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Is there a way to digitally connect UFX III to X32 ?

X32 only has AES50 inputs, but UFX III does not have AES50 outputs.

Appsys Flexiverter FLX-AES50 with AUX-MADI card installed, this is a bidirectional digital format converter for up to 64 channels of MADI <> AES50.

https://appsys.ch/en/products/flexiverters/flx-aes50

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

So it's possible but with either x32 MADI card or a $1000 external converter, both of which are impractical.
The current state of digital audio formats is really depressing, there are so many different non compatible standards.

8 (edited by ramses 2023-04-06 13:48:25)

brk wrote:

So it's possible but with either x32 MADI card or a $1000 external converter, both of which are impractical.
The current state of digital audio formats is really depressing, there are so many different non compatible standards.

I do not know what that has to do with it.

There are only a few digital port types that come into question for what you have in mind. For decades(!) ADAT and MADI are established solutions depending on cable length and number of channels you want to transmit.

Now additional Ethernet-/LAN-based solutions hit the scene, like e.g., AVB, Dante, but after around 2 decades it's natural, that something new comes up. At the end, it is your decision where you see for you the biggest benefit.
If you want such nice flagship solutions like the UFX III, then MADI is the way to go. It still offers many advantages.
Mature and dedicated for audio, even supporting very long cable lengths.

You may have simply neglected to inquire in advance and get any additional modules you might need, either before or after the purchase. Well, it's no secret that they don't come for free and are not inexpensive due to low print runs/quantities. You can also inquire about this in advance.
I would be glad if I were you that there are alternative solutions in case you can't get the MADI module from Behringer either new or on the second hand market.

9 (edited by brk 2023-04-06 18:37:41)

ramses wrote:

I do not know what that has to do with it.

My use case is for live performance, which digital connection standard would you choose that allows you to connect to FOH mixer at every venue ?

ramses wrote:

You may have simply neglected to inquire in advance

What I'm doing here is inquiring in advance.

I was hoping upgrading from my UCX to UFX III would allow me to connect via single wire digitally (multi channel) into x32. The X32 is what we find at 99% venues where we perform.
I can't carry a MADI module and give it to sound guy to install into possibly rented X32 during a sound check. Nor do I want to buy an additional $1k box. I have to continue carrying the analog 8 channel XLR snake, and will not upgrade to UFX III.

10 (edited by ramses 2023-04-06 18:58:35)

Now I finally understand what you mean, it would have been best if you had completely described the situation and your desire / requirements directly.

I'm sorry, but the MADI module is the only option I can think of that might not be that expensive, you can get one for €278.
https://www.thomann.de/de/klark_teknik_dn32_madi.htm

OM3 or OM4 patch cables, you usually get up to 50 m. Installation cables with thicker sheathing would be available up to 2 km. Maybe you can get such a cable customized in the suitable length.
If you are worried about the fiber cable: for an Ethernet cable, you would also require footstep protection if there is no structured in-house cabling at the site.

Perhaps you can persuade the authorities at the location to deploy structured OM3 or OM4 cabling and to provide an alternative for a fiber/MADI-based connection.

Thanks for your time and effort, but my impression is that this is a losing battle until there is some kind of standard multi channel digital connection that all devices have. Maybe in few years, we'll see.

the market is slowly shifting towards Milan/AVB, you just have to wait for RME to allow their flagship interfaces to either adopt digital audio module slot(s) or at least configurable network ports, not just MADI and ADAT, i'm also waiting for this