Topic: Changing the card order not working

I've got two HDSPe AES cards and one RayDAT installed in a recent and up-to-date Windows 11 PC.

Changing the card order in the Hammerfall Setting's Global tab worked without problems.

Then I updated the cards to the latest firmware and the drivers to the current version.

Now, after changing and applying the card order it still gets sorted appropriately in the list (Global tab) and a TotalMix window pops up. But the order in whatever DAW I use doesn't change.

I've also tried and changed setttings by opening the Hammerfall settings from within the DAWs, in addition I have uninstalled all RME software and drivers, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted. The problem persists.

What to do? Thanks.

Re: Changing the card order not working

Settings changed in the Hammerfall settings are also appropriately reflected in the registry. Changing these values manually doesn't help either.

The only viable workaround after hours of trial and error was to selectively uninstall cards and scan for hardware changes. The device installed lowest is sorted as the last one in the DAWs. The order in the Hammerfall settings is ignored by the system.

And after a restart it is all wrong again. How can this be fixed?

We will have a look - after you listed the driver version and firmare versions your cards are on now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. Like I wrote, the latest ones, so it's firmware version 20 for the AES cards and 18 for the RayDAT, as well as driver version 4.40.

I also uninstalled everything, even manually cleaned the registry and hard drive and reinstalled, didn't help.

The latest firmware for the HDSPe AES under Windows would be either 11 or 204. Please check again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The latest firmware for the HDSPe AES under Windows would be either 11 or 204. Please check again.

According to the flash tool it is 12 for the HDSPE AES cards and 19 for the RayDAT.

So you updated to the DriverKit Firmware (which brings nothing for Windows, see readme). Please do one more test by going back to the Legacy version 11 and 18 and check if sorting works then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by gs 2023-04-09 21:52:35)

I updated because I have dropout-problems and I had even older firmware versions installed. The documentation lacks proper information that "DriverKit" is an Apple thing and that these versions are not intended for Windows PCs...

I find the 'documentation' more than sufficient:

----------
- This FUT contains the DriverKit compatible firmware versions of all supported cards for the first time. There are no feature changes or bug fixes in the firmware. The DK version is fully compatible and can be used under Windows - but does not have to. An update is therefore currently normally not necessary. The cards can be provided with the previous firmware (legacy) or the new version at any time via the 'DriverKit compatible' option.
----------

But the point is this: if the issue is not there with the former firmware then there is a remaining bug in the driver handling the sorting when using the DK versions. So by trying this you can not only help yourself, but also speed up the bug fixing when the programmers come back from their easter holidays.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I faced a similar problem, but under win 10. i have an aio pro and an aes card. In all cases, both samplitude Pro X5 daw and JRiver media center 30 recognize aes as the primary device for asio. The latest drivers and firmware are everywhere. I have already reinstalled and physically replaced the cards. The situation is always the same. I removed the aes card, so the aio pro became the primary asio device. This setup used to work well, but after one update it didn't anymore.

Similar problem? Did you try to change the ASIO order in the Global tab of the Settings dialog? Sort order problems with AIO Pro and AES card had been fixed in the last two driver updates.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In all cases, the AIO PRO is the primary card (Change card order). If that's what you mean.

Please give clear information. If your case is the same (not similar), then please try the firmware downgrade to Legacy via the HDSPe FUT to see if that makes the sort order work again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please try the new driver, v 4.42, that should address all Sort Order issues. It also comes with other latest fixes and TM FX 1.80:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … in_442.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The problem was solved with the new driver :-)

Thank you very much for everything!