Topic: Babyface Pro FS driver installation failed on Windows 10

Hi,

I was supposed to jam at my friend's through my new Babyface Pro FS. However, we couldn't install the driver on his computer, which runs Windows 10. After clicking the installer icon, we could see a sudden flash of the installer running and the loading bar going from min to max, I think, it really took like half a second. After that, nothing was installed and plugging the Babyface didn't do a thing. We tried running it as an administrator and checked firewall (in any case), but nothing helped.

Now that i think of it, I did plug the Babyface in the computer before installing the driver. Could this have caused issues?

2 (edited by vinark 2023-04-18 16:18:24)

Re: Babyface Pro FS driver installation failed on Windows 10

This would happen if the babyface was in class compliant mode instead of pc mode. Check the manual how to switch, I never have to do it, pc only, so can't remember the exact button presses needed when powering up.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

This would happen if the babyface was in class compliant mode instead of pc mode. Check the manual how to switch, I never have to do it, pc only, so can't remember the exact button presses needed when powering up.

I thought about this when I read some topics here and I definitely need to test this next time. But I wonder, how could Babyface's settings prevent an .exe file installer from doing its thing? I suggested my friend to install the driver in advance so that I could just come up and plug the Babyface in, but he reported this behaviour, the installer just flashing and then disappearing, even before there was a Babyface present.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-04-18 23:58:30)

Sure the exe was the right one ?
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_win_1227.zip
Could be he installed Digicheck or the FUT ?
For activating and deactivating the Class-Compliant mode hold the two buttons SELECT and DIM during power-up.
The lights will show PC for your use. Class-Compliant mode is when CC is shown by the LEDs.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Sure the exe was the right one ?
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_win_1227.zip
Could be he installed Digicheck or the FUT ?
For activating and deactivating the Class-Compliant mode hold the two buttons SELECT and DIM during power-up.
The lights will show PC for your use. Class-Compliant mode is when CC is shown by the LEDs.

Yes, I'm certain this was the .zip file he donwloaded. Also, I checked and confirmed that I haven't been on the CC mode.

The driver installs very fast indeed. If the babyface is in cc mode it does not install the driver so that is expected behaviour.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

The driver installs very fast indeed. If the babyface is in cc mode it does not install the driver so that is expected behaviour.

The driver installer doesn't really care whether the device is connected, in CC, or not...

Possibly an issue of permissions... Admin account?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
vinark wrote:

The driver installer doesn't really care whether the device is connected, in CC, or not...

Possibly an issue of permissions... Admin account?

Thank you for confirming my skepticity considering the relevance of cc mode. However, we made sure to run the installer as administrator and also checked that it wasn't an issue with firewall.

Well I guess You think the driver does not install while I think it does lightning fast. It will only really activate when the baby is in PC mode.
Next time check in device manager what you see.
Also you can check in what mode your babyface is right now at any computer. It will not change by itself. SO if ity is connected to a pc now it is in pc mode when it is working. On a mac it will work in CC mode too.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Fast or not, the installer does come with a success message at the end of the process. If that's not there, something's not working.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

vinark wrote:

Well I guess You think the driver does not install while I think it does lightning fast. It will only really activate when the baby is in PC mode.
Next time check in device manager what you see.
Also you can check in what mode your babyface is right now at any computer. It will not change by itself. SO if ity is connected to a pc now it is in pc mode when it is working. On a mac it will work in CC mode too.

Yes, I have used it with my own pc with no problems, so I guess I've never been in the cc mode before yesterday, when I tested it.

RME Support wrote:

Fast or not, the installer does come with a success message at the end of the process. If that's not there, something's not working.

The installer didn't message anything after the quick flashing on screen.

Then something's in the way. Have you tried with an actual admin account?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Then something's in the way. Have you tried with an actual admin account?

Yes, the account was the admin account.

1.    Open the command prompt (Terminal) of windows.

2.    Navigate to the extracted driver folder. Use the command cd to navigate in the terminal.
(Example: cd  C:\Users\FFF\Desktop\driver_madiface_win_09736)

3.    Install your driver with the code: start rmeinstaller.exe /manual
Afterwards the following driver should be findable in C:\RMEdriver

4.    Open the device manager and navigate to the device (visible by a yellow exclamation mark).
Right click and hit update driver. Select the folder C:\RMEdriver to install the driver

5.    Have fun!

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Audio AG Support wrote:

1.    Open the command prompt (Terminal) of windows.

2.    Navigate to the extracted driver folder. Use the command cd to navigate in the terminal.
(Example: cd  C:\Users\FFF\Desktop\driver_madiface_win_09736)

3.    Install your driver with the code: start rmeinstaller.exe /manual
Afterwards the following driver should be findable in C:\RMEdriver

4.    Open the device manager and navigate to the device (visible by a yellow exclamation mark).
Right click and hit update driver. Select the folder C:\RMEdriver to install the driver

5.    Have fun!

Hey, I think this did the job, thank you and everyone else so much!

Ah great!

Vincent, Amsterdam