Topic: Mac DigiCheck NG v 0.90 Beta 5 now available for download

DigiCheck NG is making good progress, with some great news coming up soon. Here is version 0.90 beta 4 which has  some significant visual changes and improvements.

One of DC NG's biggest new features is total scalability. But that comes with a price - aliasing. The higher the screen resolution the less aliasing is noticable - and are Macs typcially not at least 2k or 4k? Right. Still you will notice when changing the size of the Spectral Analyzer window that the horizontal lines become uneven thick, a pattern is shown over the whole spectrum. Similarly with the Global Level Meter and many channels squeezed into a small window the level bars will become a bleeded mess. These are two examples, it continous with a user-friendly DPI calculation of window and scale / font sizes of DC's instruments, and the perfect presentation when using the Full Screen option.

Version 0.90 b3 addresses all this. The below download is the app, no installer. You can start it in parallel to the older version to see the differences, or just start it from a different folder to not overwrite the installed DC NG version. The visual improvement is easily visible, especially on older Macs/displays with standard screen resolution (on my MacBook Air with its 1440x900 screen it's just mind blowing).

Further stuff:

- reduced flickering of 2 channel peak level meters when using higher buffer sizes

- fixed crash under macOS 10.14 when opening the Input Select dialog of the Global Level Meter.

---------------

Updated thread with version 0.90 b5, May 4 2023.

Beta 5 includes several smaller fixes and corrections, plus one bigger new feature: DC NG now can handle monitor refresh rates perfectly, and can also run in other rates as the standard 60 Hz perfectly!

Under Settings (or Preferences in older OS) you can activate a small indicator of the real refresh rate that DC NG runs on, and also set it to use any value between 30 Hz and 500 Hz. Now obviously when your display runs at 60 Hz, setting DC NG to use 300 Hz doesn't change anything - the refresh rate will stay at 60 Hz. If your monitor and computer supports higher refresh rates, like 144 Hz, you can set DC NG to use any rate between 30 and 144 Hz.

In our tests we also noticed that macOS seems to provide the higher refresh rates only for the main monitor. While the second monitor ran physically also with 144 Hz, DC NG did only 'recveive' 60 Hz, so was not able then to refresh quicker.

Setting DC NG to 30 Hz you might be astonished how smooth that looks. This way one can save some CPU and GPU load and extend battery life...

Edit: Version 0.90 has been released
Download  0.90
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digi … ac_090.zip

Thanks for trying!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Mac DigiCheck NG v 0.90 Beta 5 now available for download

works perfect ! I grab the bottom right corner and squeeze the whole application window as hard and fast as possible in all directions !
No issues, the graphics stays clean, all analyzers keep working thats just great !
Digiface USB, Mac M1 Ventura

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Works like a charm here. MBP M2max 16"
And I pulled and abused it.
Seem like a rocksteady update.

This is brilliant Matthias... Working perfectly here. (Mac Ultra and MBPro M1 Max)

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I do not understand the concept of Playback channels. It works if I use loopback for an input channel. But how to use playback channels? Also with loopback and if yes, how? The help of digicheck ng does not make things clearer.

Amazing, I use Digicheck on a separate 12" screen (1280 x 800 Resolution) and everything looks perfect now.
Also very happy to see "add playback channels" added.
Thanks RME

DC shows audio levels of hardware inputs - or of playback channels, means what your DAW or Media Player etc currently plays back for listening. That's a unique and useful feature (totally unusual for Mac and Windows), and not a 'concept'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh i am sorry that ther word concept was offensive *eyeroll* so how does it work? Because I have the option for playback channels, but not matter which one i choose it does not display anything, maybe i am just too dumb? is it in your grace to help out a bit or is it too much to ask from a lowly peasent?

9 (edited by waedi 2023-05-01 21:39:48)

Have a look into Totalmix.
Where in Totalmix is your signal showing up ?
There has to be a signal to have a Digicheck analizer tool working.

randresaxon wrote:

Oh i am sorry that ther word concept was offensive *eyeroll* so how does it work? Because I have the option for playback channels, but not matter which one i choose it does not display anything, maybe i am just too dumb? is it in your grace to help out a bit or is it too much to ask from a lowly peasent?

Play back something that shows up on Software Playback channels 1 and 2 in TotalMix, select these channels in DC NG, and you will see the level meters reacting.

If not show us your settings with screenshots.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by randresaxon 2023-05-02 10:23:25)

Ok, like this I made it work, thanks alot.

If your “computer” is using those outputs, Then it will certainly work.

----------------
----------------

randresaxon wrote:

Ok, like this I made it work, thanks alot.

I wrote the exact same thing in post number 7...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Beta 4 download now available in the opening post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Beta 4 working well here thanks Matthias

Quick update to beta 5: the Diff meters in the Global level meter and others did not work correctly since beta 4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Beta 5 working great here Matthias!! Thanks!

----------------
----------------

Beta 5 runs fine on MacOS 15.7.1 and Intel!

Question: is it possible to show more than 4 "Instruments"?

Simply open another window, then save your setup as workspace.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by eriksan 2023-05-11 22:42:01)

Seems like a nice update but I'm unable use DigiCheck V0.90 beta 5 (1) to monitor software playback channel 1-2 (playing in TotalMix) even though I selected Mic/Line1 and Mic/Line2 in the Device Channel column inside Spectral Analysis Inputs. If I press the button "Setup..." there's a greyed out checkbox "Add Playback Channels" but it's disabled.

MacOS 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)

Unclear statement:

- did it work before?

- which interface is this?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

22 (edited by Wheelie 2023-06-12 09:30:24)

'Add Playback Channels' is greyed out in my version 0.891

Is there a way to select playback channels?

Fireface UXC II MacOS

(I would post a screenshot but it seems not possible with forum settings)

solved my own question... need to update UCX II drivers to latest then it allows playback channels for anyone else experiencing this

24 (edited by alex.klubd 2023-06-14 14:26:14)

Hi!

Where do we find the web page to download digicheck (not beta)?

Thanks

Webpage -> Downloads -> Software

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

26 (edited by eriksan 2023-06-22 23:53:53)

MC wrote:

Unclear statement:

- did it work before?

- which interface is this?

Recently, I have only attempted monitoring software playback with macOS 13.4.1 and digicheck 0.90 beta 5. I have no other computer nearby to see if this worked before. The interface is Fireface 400 connected via Firewire to Thunderbolt to USB C adapters. The "Add Playback Channels" checkbox remains greyed-out, even after allowing the RME driver to update in Settings and restarting the computer, as Wheelie suggested above. Driver version is 3.41.

Hi,

so far the 0.90 Beta 5 runs fine here on Monterey.

I also have a common feature request: as much as i love the NG improved flexiblity, i miss the good old Digicheck layout which is basically having 3 instruments horizontally. I think this shouldnt be too hard to implement and it would make NG perfect for me :-)

28 (edited by waedi 2023-06-24 04:54:10)

AxSel wrote:

Hi,

so far the 0.90 Beta 5 runs fine here on Monterey.

I also have a common feature request: as much as i love the NG improved flexiblity, i miss the good old Digicheck layout which is basically having 3 instruments horizontally. I think this shouldnt be too hard to implement and it would make NG perfect for me :-)

https://i.ibb.co/17mCcyB/Bildschirmfoto-2023-06-24-um-04-06-20.png

open a second window and arrange the instruments and the two windows.
Digicheck keeps this arrangement and opens it the next time.

waedi wrote:

open a second window and arrange the instruments and the two windows.
Digicheck keeps this arrangement and opens it the next time.

Thanks, that works. Would be convenient of course to move them around as one. Maybe implementation comes at some time to have it in one window

Works really good here on Macbook pro M2 max. Two months old ish and on Ventura.

Version 0.90 has now been officially released and is available on the website's download section. Or here:

Changes since beta 5:

- improved DC function in BitStatistics & Noise instrument. Much better separation. Quick, reliable and stable value display. Also in the instrument's Settings the DC integration time can be adjusted for special use cases.

- refresh rate of the text readouts slightly raised to better refelect the current value

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Setting DC NG to 30 Hz you might be astonished how smooth that looks. This way one can save some CPU and GPU load and extend battery life...

Are there any plans to add this feature of reducing the frame rate to Totalmix as well?

It makes no sense there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Version 0.90 has now been officially released and is available on the website's download section. Or here:

MC, just an FYI that this link doesn't work anymore due to a change of filename.  The correct link is now https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digi … ac_090.zip

Thanks and fixed. The link in the opening post was correct, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When Digicheck is closed while being in the maximised state, it is not restored correctly upon next opening. It is offset a few pixels (10-20) to the right and to the top.
Also the previously "not maximised" state is not remembered anymore. Only one state, the current size is saved when exiting DigicheckNG. It would be good if both states, maximised and not maximised would be remembered between sessions.
Georg

What is 'maximized state'? Zoom aka double click on the top bar of the window? That works on my system, so the question is what is your display setup and which is your resolution used?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I found a little "bug"
I selected checkbox to "show frame rate" and it shows and updates.
But when I deselected that checkbox I see that FPS isn't updates, but still is in the corner.
I think that it must disappear there.

It disappears when opening Digicheck the next time.

Is anyone else encountering a wider side bezel (extra horizontal 'white space') on either side of the digicheck Global Level Meter display?

I'm using the new version on a 1920x1200 resolution on an extended display with a M1 macbook pro running 46 input channels.

Previous versions (eg: v89b1) all extend the meters display to the edge of the horizontal space, but in the new version, the horizontal distribution of meters seems to jump incrementally as I enlarge the window, resulting in a little more unused space at each end than previous versions did. 

I'm unclear how to include images or I'd have included a visual reference. thanks!

41 (edited by eriksan 2024-01-06 20:52:58)

I’m unable to monitor software playback. The “Add Playback Channels” box is greyed out. Fireface 400, Digicheck v0.90 (1), Totalmix v1.85 macOS, kernel driver v3.41, unit v1.70, macOS Sonoma v14.2.1.
https://i.imgur.com/RE95wt5.png

This featiure is not supported by the FireWire driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,
v0.90 just crashed without any apparent reason. It was on a desktop not on the screen, and suddenly reported a crash.
the .ips file is here -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q2NxNx … drive_link
Danke,

Takashi Watanabe

Mac Mini M1 / Razer CoreX TB3 to PCIe + HDSPeMADI