Topic: Aes doesn't work w 48kHz songs

Greetings,

I have the adi2 Pro BE. I connect the Pi'aes to the dac using digital through. When streaming 48kHz songs,there is no signal from the VU meter. No sound. 44.1kHz songs play fine.

What did I miss?

Thank you.

Re: Aes doesn't work w 48kHz songs

What does the “State Overview”-screen (some presses on Encoder 2) show in both cases?

You can even test DAC-Mode, which is the simplest to operate:
SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: DAC

3 (edited by silversubie 2023-04-23 13:53:32)

Ok, so the clock source was set to spdif. I changed it to either auto or aes it plays fine now.

Why did it play 44.1 when clock source was set to spdif do you know?

My Pi has a reclocker board.

Also, change from digi thru to DAC produces no sound. I've noticed the clock is switched to int when switching to DAC and no longer aes. My guess is this is why no sound when set up as DAC?

Thanks again.

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-23 19:12:49)

Strange, in Digital Through Mode ADI-2 defaults to AES / SPDIF clock.

In general, if you send 44.1 kHz to a device set to this same sample rate, even without sync, in most cases you get audio, albeit with glitches.

One thing to take into account:
A connected USB always dominates the clock, making the use of ADI-2 Pro‘s SRC mandatory.

Not sure why that is strange. Seems fully logical to me. And is clearly described in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-24 06:58:16)

Manual page 42:

17.5 Digital Through Mode
Automatic clock and source selection of the digital inputs plus internal D to D routing allows to insert and monitor AES, SPDIF or ADAT signals.

I meant, “strange” the automatic clock selection didn’t do the job.

But- when just checking I saw, other than with DAC Mode, there’s still the option to choose different than “Auto” clock select, which caused the situation.

automatic plus manually = automanually wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME