Topic: Struggling to sync MADIFace Pro at 192

Hi all, at 48 and 96 I am having no problem syncing with my AD converter via MADI.

So I’ve got sync at 96K, and then I switch the SR to 192 on the AD (optical sync via MADI cable) and absolutely nothing coming through.

I’ve tried changing the ‘sample rate’ in MADIFace settings to match 192 - even though my clock source is optical.
The input status goes from ‘sync - 96KHz - 32 channels’ to ‘no lock - -‘ once I’ve changed to 192.

Are there any other settings I need to change?

Thanks. Dave

2 (edited by waedi 2023-05-03 23:20:12)

Re: Struggling to sync MADIFace Pro at 192

From what you wrote both devices are set to clock-source external optical madi.
Switch in the MadifacePro settings dialog the clock-source to internal and samplerate to 192.
One device has to be set to internal clock while all connected other devices must be on external clock sync.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi, I usually have the AD set as the clock source and then have the MADIFace Pro slave to that; though perhaps it’s better the other way round?

Anyway, I have obviously tried all possible combinations of internal and optical sync on the MADIFace Pro and internal/MADI sync on the AD (it’s an Antelope Orion 32 FYI, which call internal clock at ‘oven’ and the MADI clock source is called MADI, MADI x 2 or MADI x 4, but it has options for all usual sample rates in all of those options which doesn’t really make sense.

Dave

4 (edited by waedi 2023-05-04 04:12:24)

Take the optical cable out of the MadifacePro.
Did you pressed it in hard ?
It should fit easy with a locking click.
But by mistake it is possible you did put it into the socket the wrong way.
Turn it 180º...?

It’s working perfectly at 96KHz, so can’t be an issue with the cabling. Only stops working when I select 192.

192 kHz is only available at MADI standard, 48k Frame with SMUX4, see manual. The MADI x 2 setting might work at 96 kHz if it equals 96k Frame. MADI x 4 will definitely not work if it is '192k Frame' format. Check the Antelope manual what these clock settings mean and how to use them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Jonesd90 2023-05-04 12:59:43)

Sorry, I think I accidentally pressed report instead of reply to the last post.

The antelope manual is absolutely garbage, I shall have to contact them and ask.

Assuming I get it setup properly on that end. Do I simply need to set the MADIFace Pro to ‘optical’ and it should follow whatever sample rate is on the AD?

Jonesd90 wrote:

Sorry, I think I accidentally pressed report instead of reply to the last post.

Happens a lot....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Did you ever find the solution to this?  I'm having the same problem with my MADIface XT and Mytek 8x192 using Optical and USB to my 2022 M2 MacBook Air

No I never managed to figure it out unfortunately. If you have, do post up here - perhaps Mytek have a solution?
I'd never get anywhere with Antelope support, completely useless and I believe the issue lies there, not with the RME unit...

Dave

This is the user maual of the Antelope unit :
https://support.antelopeaudio.com/helpd … 2103199745

No explanation what MADI x2 or x4 means.