Topic: Did my ADI-2/4 just brick?

Hello, I have had the ADI 2/4 for a month and beginning today I cannot get any selection to do anything but toggle back and forth. For instance, any volume control will only go between -20.0 and -20.5 back and forth, the I/O menu will only bounce between Line Output 1/2 and Analog Input, and most of the time I press 1 or 2 to toggle any menu selection nothing will happen. a full 360 degree rotation of the encoder wile adjusting reference level will just go infinitely +1 +7 +1 +7 +1 +7 +1 +7. I have tried to power it down, I have updated firmware to V 31 and tried the reset by holding the volume and the 1 encoder but nothing is working. As many of you can relate, this unit is essential to my work flow for business, so this is very frustrating. It took 3-4 months to get this here so I really hope the solution is not to wait for replacement. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Re: Did my ADI-2/4 just brick?

Returning to Factory State
Hold encoder 1 and the VOL button pushed while turning on the unit. The screen will show Reset Done. All current settings are reset to factory default, user-stored Setups and EQ presets are not affected. The same action is performed by loading Factory via Setup Select.
give it a try...

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

He wrote that he did that already.

Sorry, but this error is unknown and really looks like a hardware issue, so the unit needs to be sent in for check/repair on warranty.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-07 07:05:01)

Last resort, full reset:

Hold Encoder 1 and Encoder 2 and the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial!) pushed while turning on the unit.
The screen will show Reset Done.

All current settings are reset to factory default, user-stored Setups and EQ presets are deleted.

Video reference for those who may encounter the same issue. Contacting RME, thank you, I will follow up with their findings.

https://youtu.be/03KzWS5jrrQ

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-08 11:40:22)

In the video you did NOT do a reset, you mixed VOLUME dial with VOL button.

Full reset:
Hold both Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, and the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial!) pushed while turning on the unit.

The screen will show “Reset Done“, else you did not do a reset.

@ MC
The fail rate understanding this correctly seems high.

People tend to associate while only coarsely reading, that’s how our brain works:
Pull the most result out of the least amount of real information.
Big dial beats small button.
I remember having fallen into this trap in the first place too.

Wouldn’t a change to e.g. SETUP button + Encoders for reset be a good idea?

7 (edited by Coffee 2023-05-08 01:04:50)

KaiS wrote:

Full reset:
Hold both Encoder 1 and Encoder 2, and the VOL button (NOT the VOLUME dial!) pushed while turning on the unit.

@ MC

People tend to associate while only coarsely reading, that’s how our brain works:
Pull the most result out of the least real information.

I had tried them both just did not include everything in that video, however the first time I did the reset message never appeared, I assume because of the bad 1 encoder, so I was unsure which it really was. I made a video showing that it reset and the issue persists, but yes there should be some better designation since both the  VOLUME knob and VOL button are too similar and the VOLUME knob is also a button/switch.

https://youtu.be/3d47Gp5iYPs

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-08 06:10:49)

Coffee wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Full reset:

@ MC

Pull the most result out of the least real information.

I had tried them both just did not include everything in that video, however the first time I did the reset message never appeared, I assume because of the bad 1 encoder, so I was unsure which it really was. I made a video showing that it reset and the issue persists, but yes there should be some better designation since both the  VOLUME knob and VOL button are too similar and the VOLUME knob is also a button/switch.

https://youtu.be/3d47Gp5iYPs

You do it right (OK, you could hold the buttons a bit longer), but it does not reset in this video, did you ever see the message “Reset Done”?

Came here to say that I returned to my desk after a couple days and my ADI 2/4 has begun functioning properly again. It did not work properly for four or five days but in the last two days it has unfrozen itself and I can navigate menus properly, I will update if it hangs up again... weird.