1 (edited by spectralfan 2023-05-07 07:23:03)

Topic: ADI 2-/4 Pro SE or Fireface UCX II

I would like to be able to record (to USB) at the same time as listening (from USB). I am interested in high quality. I do not require monitoring (my voice to be mixed into the headphones). I use open back planar magnetic headphones.

I understand a setup like this for the ADI 2-/4 Pro SE is a bit unconventional (the analog inputs are not meant for mics), however I very much would like to avoid having two converter/interface devices.

*Playback*

PC
-> RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
   -> USB
   -> Parameteric EQ
   -> Loudness
   -> Spectral Analyzer
   -> DAC
-> Headphones (Planar Magnetic) or Studio Monitors

*Recording*

Dynamic Mic (e.g. Electro-Voice RE20-Black or Shure SM7B)
-> Variable Mic Signal Intensifier (e.g. Radical McBoost of 26dB)
-> 48v Phantom Power Supply for above (e.g. Radical StageBug SB-48)
-> RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
   -> XLR Analog Input
   -> ADC
   -> Parametric EQ
   -> USB
-> PC

Question:
* Is the above setup possible? Or have I made a mistake in understanding the capabilities?
* Is the 26dB of the McBoost is enough for a dynamic mic?

Or should I really just get a Fireface UCX II (as it has 75dB gain) and be done with it?

I'll loose the cool spectral analyzer display, and have to power monitors via TRS, but that is fine. Unless I am the most discerning of listeners would it be expected that I am unlikely to discern the difference between the phones outputs (SNR, output impedance) of the Fireface UCX II and ADI-2/4 Pro SE right? It seems like the Fireface UCX II has no parametric eq though ... so I have to use software and can't rely on pure hardware?

Thanks for any responses.

Re: ADI 2-/4 Pro SE or Fireface UCX II

UCX II has three band PEQ in hardware. UCXII cant match HP output of ADI-2 DAC/PRO/2.4SE

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

3 (edited by ramses 2023-05-07 11:34:56)

Hi spectralfan. Welcome to the RME user forum.

You would need a mic preamp to bring the mic signal to line level so that you can connect it to the analog port of the ADI-2/4.

An UCX II would be a better choice, but when using it alone, then you would lose all the ADI-2/4's capabilities which make the device unique/special.

In this case, I would propose a combination of recording interface and ADI-2/4 Pro.

To save some money and if you do not need the ADI-2/4 special features (vs. ADI-2 Pro FS), then a combination of ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and recording device would do extremely well (also budget wise).

Ideal would be the combination of UCX II and ADI-2 Pro FS and optional (if you like/need) ARC USB.

The UCX II gives you the same nice and powerful mic preamps like the UFX II with 75 dB gain boost and on top of that, even more exciting features like TotalMix FX, TotalMix Remote (if needed), Autoset, DURec, etc …

You also could get rid of all this additional equipment that you mentioned like Mic booster and additional needed phantom power, which saves money and space.

PC----ARC USB
|
|
UCX II<-----2x Mic Inputs with 75 dB gain and Autoset
|    +---1x ADAT I/O for further expansions if needed
|
AES
|
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

In this blog article, I show the integration of the ADI-2 Pro FS into an existing environment.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Then you have the best of two worlds
- Flexibility and power of a recording interface with TotalMix FX
- The unique features of RME's reference converters

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Muffin 2023-05-07 12:06:16)

I certainly understand that the OP wants just one device for his setup, but the features of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro is pretty unique.

Myself I've the UCX II and the ADI-2 DAC FS combination, and that works very well for me as I don't need the analog input of the ADI Pro. I just use ADAT to connect the UCX II to the ADI-2 DAC for monitoring, and that is also a little more tidy as I don't have to use the UCX II AES/SPDIF breakout cable.

For me both the UCX II and the ADI-2 DAC is connected to the PC using USB. Works very well on Windows as when I don't use the UCX II I just listen as usual on the ADI-2 DAC.

5 (edited by ramses 2023-05-07 12:27:35)

I proposed AES to keep the ADAT port free for any future expansion.
One of the reasons why I also proposed the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and not the ADI-2 DAC FS.
Other reasons: two equal phones outputs, SRC (Sample Rate Converter), Analog Inputs, Digital Outputs (-> more flexibility).

In fact, I do currently the same as you, and I am using ADAT for connecting the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to the UFX+.

But with an UFX+, AES, 2x ADAT and MADI I have more flexibility and port reserves anyway, and I know my demand quite well after so many years using and optimizing it.

For a new setup where I do not know every detail, I tend to keep it as flexible as possible, as usually, we do not know all the requirements and details. Then I see it as an advantage to use AES for the ADI-2 and to state that you still have one ADAT port free for further extensions. Well, and this is also one of the highlights of the UCX II vs old UCX … You can add the reference converter and still connect an 8-port preamp via ADAT …

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sure, there are many excellent reasons to prefer the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE over the ADI-2 DAC FS, depending on ones needs.

For me using ADAT instead of SPDIF to the ADI-2 DAC FS is just convenience in a desktop setup. Should I ever need to use ADAT for an extra device there is the SPDIF after all using the breakout cable.