1 (edited by hasan.ay386 2023-05-13 07:18:46)

Topic: Can I use the spdif input and usb output at the same time for loopback

Is something like this possible on the same PC or do I need another one?:

REW Software 48khz -> ADI-2 Pro fs via SMSL PO 100 SPDIF -> SRC Upsampling to 192khz -> Line Out -> Line In -> REW Software for measurements via USB.

at least i can select input and output device separately in REW. it would be enough if i see the loopback measurement up to 24khz.

Re: Can I use the spdif input and usb output at the same time for loopback

ADI-2/4’s and ADI-2 Pro’s internal sampling rate always follows the USB’s if active.
So ADI-2 won’t upsample to 192 kHz.

Why not just run REW at 192 kHz, what do you want to measure?

3 (edited by hasan.ay386 2023-05-13 19:49:03)

I wanted to measure the performance of the SRC. And whether there is a measurable difference. I have noticed that the signal loses transparency when I upsample it with SRC and I wanted to see why.

EDIT: I have now tried it with two laptops. One with 48khz Interface spdif into the ADI-2, and the other via USB from ADI-2 with SRC 192khz to REW. But I got strange results in REW...

The Frequency Response looks like expected, but not the Impulse. With SRC it is much worse

https://i.ibb.co/hXMrvjT/SRC.png

Left is native 48khz SPDIF as Clock.
Right is 192khz upsampled with SRC and internal Clock.

I used Slow Filters in Both, why it looks like sharp filtering?

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-14 01:16:21)

ADI-2’s filters are only for it’s an analog in- and outputs.
They do not affect your case.

Left should show a straight needle pulse without ringing, REW artifact?
Check with RME BitTest first, if you’re sending a straight, unchanged digital signal through your system.

Right is the SRC’s built in, internal filter, which is not selectable in ADI-2.
Probably what you hear.

KaiS wrote:

ADI-2’s filters are only for it’s an analog in- and outputs.
They do not affect your case.

Left should show a straight needle pulse without ringing, REW artifact?
Check with RME BitTest first, if you’re sending a straight, unchanged digital signal through your system.

Right is the SRC’s built in, internal filter, which is not selectable in ADI-2.
Probably what you hear.

I played a one sample pulse in Audacity and recorded it with iZotope RX on another computer, maybe the way I did the test caused a little ringing on the left.

But now I understand... the SRC has an additional filter (Sharp) that I can't change. Unfortunately then the upsampling is completely pointless in this case.

Thanks Kai!

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-14 07:36:22)

hasan.ay386 wrote:

Unfortunately then the upsampling is completely pointless in this case.

I wouldn’t buy that blindly - in my experience the SRC’s upsampling had some positive effects on the sound doing 44.1 to 96 kHz - the relationship I auditioned.
But that was before I started to use other DA-Filters than “Sharp”, probably just getting the filters out of the audible range.

Anyway, SRC is built into the Pro ADI-2’s as a problem solver, to fix situations with incompatible clocks where no syncing option exist.

SRC is not meant as a sound effect of any kind.

There’s no better than bit-correct native playback on the original sample rate, with well selected DA-Filter.
Where should some extra information in the music origin from, when going to a higher sample rate?!
Could be fake at best.