Topic: Feature Request No Fade in When Switching Outputs

Topic says it all. It's a great feature for speaker switching to be able to switch between the various connected outputs and I see why the existing behaviour fade in for newly selected output is a nice feature as well except when speaker switching the fade in is not so welcome.

Wondering if we can get a preference for this to enable/ disable this functionality please?

Kind regards

Re: Feature Request No Fade in When Switching Outputs

Which unit is this about?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry Matthias.Mine is the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Hi Paul,

on that unit switching between speakers involves the front headphone outputs. For safety reasons (and possible sueing in countries like the US) we will not add such an option, sorry.

I know that there exists companies that produce headphone amps with 5 and more watts output, completely unprotected, capable of quickly damaging ears and equipment. Most of these only dare to sell these amps because they are not reachable by US jurisdiction (some might just be stupid and completely ignore the danger). I wrote a lot about all the thoughts that went into the ADI's in the manual. Producing such a powerful amp and selling it world-wide made us add as many schemes as possible, so if we would ever be drawn to court we could easily explain that we are the best and most protected and ideal (in this regard) of any existing headphone amp, and that we exceed the existing 'industry standard' by far.

The ADI-2/4 Pro SE can have its rear TRS outputs switched to 3/4. With this option active and disabling the phones outputs such a 'quick switch for speakers' option would be possible. I'll add that to the list.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias.

Thanks for the great explanation. Makes sense. Yes you are right I am using PH3/4 to send to a pair of auratones and this output rarely gets higher than -40dB. It's also ideal given these speakers are unbalanced. For a long time I used analog speaker switching but then my analog volume controller - SSL Nucleus started to show too big L/R imbalance at low volumes. It was only when that bugged me enough I explored and discovered the nice switching functions in the ADI-2 FS R. I am now totally happy with digital attenuation particularly the way the ADI can switch reference levels automatically when changing volumes. Switching without fade in is probably not worth me upgrading to the ADI-2/4 for but thanks for the thought.

Kind regards