Topic: UCX Audio dropouts / glitching. MacOS, 4.07, v49. Mac Pro M1 16"

I've had audio dropouts for YEARS with this audio interface. Small little glitches (when using any audio software, including Spotify / Youtube / Ableton / Bitwig) that haven't ruined things till recently.

Every driver upgrade or Mac upgrade I hope it'll go away, but in fact they've gotten worse recently. Now making listening / mixing really annoying as they happen often and are half a second long.

I have no such issues when using the internal interface with speakers or headphones. Only thing I've noticed that helps is a complete reboot of the system, but the return after a while. Seems like internet busy apps like Dropbox can also affect it, so I've taken to quitting those when mixing or performing.

Really been driving me up the wall recently! Love the performance of this interface in every way apart from this glitching!

Has anyone found a way to fix this? Might switching to a firewire cable help? (Would be firewire -> USB C adaptor with this Mac)

Re: UCX Audio dropouts / glitching. MacOS, 4.07, v49. Mac Pro M1 16"

Hello? (echo, echo)

It's still not clear what the exact cause of the issue is, but this is something to do with the M1/M2 CPU, and it affects a lot of USB interfaces (not just RME). The same OS on Intel hardware has no such issues.

Using FireWire thru Thunderbolt would indeed bypass the problem and I expect it will be working fine for you.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I have been using MOTU interfaces the last two years and acquired an M1 mac 1,5 years ago, and started getting similar issues like you describe.

I recently switched to RME in hopes that their rumored "best in class" drivers would not have these issues. I have only been using my UCX II for two weeks, but have unfortunately experienced audio dropout and glitches with the RME as well.

I never have issues when only using the built in audio interface from Apple listening through headphones. I also have had an ADI-2 DAC FS for several months and never had any issues with that. The ADI-2 however only runs in class compliant mode.

Back trying to troubleshoot this again. @stephan did you have any luck?

Just been looking at the Firewire option but it means spending £100 on adaptors and a cable! I can't believe that's going to be superior...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ISyI3VcWo

For the record, this looks like a common problem with these Macs.

e.g. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … st-1514250

Seems like Sonoma solves the problem: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … 01/page-15

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

8 (edited by billtribble 2023-07-26 13:36:22)

Wow - I'm happy to report that the Sonoma beta seems to have solved this!

FINALLY I can get back to glitch free music making

I'll post an update if it all goes to shit, but so far it seems to be rock solid. OMG it's been so long. Most apps including Bitwig and all my VST's seem to be running fine. Only stuff that ain't working is Rogue Amoeba, but I can live with that till they update their apps.

billtribble wrote:

Wow - I'm happy to report that the Sonoma beta seems to have solved this!

hi. this sounds like great news. would you be able to confirm the CPU load of the dkusb client driver (de.rme-audio.dkusb) in Activity Monitor when playing or not playing anything? I've been checking out the kernel extension driver which uses 0% CPU on mine (vs 15% for the client driver, which seems excessive)

Fireface UCX, Mac Studio M2 max, macOS Sonoma

10 (edited by luxferre 2023-09-26 06:59:29)

Tonight I've received update Ventura 13.6 (22G120) and there are no glitches! Finally it is fixed (I hope)!.