1 (edited by hselters 2023-05-29 17:28:49)

Topic: [Solved] Clocking Issue

Hi,

I am wondering how to clock this setup consisting of 2 computer in different rooms each using an UFX II (I call them first and second):

The 1st UFX II acts as the Main clock.
It connects via:
USB to Computer 1
ADAT 1: to an old Fireface 800 (in standalone mode, to extend the analogue In/Outs)
ADAT 2: to a 2nd UFX II (via ADAT 2)

The 2nd UFX II is receiving the Main Clock from the first UFX II through ADAT 2 via an Appsys Cat5 Extender (so far so good...).
However, we are also extending the 2nd UFX II through ADAT 1 with an ADI-8 QS. That ADI-8 QS is blinking and there is a clock issue. It seems that the 2nd UFX II can not pass on the clock it receives from the 1st UFX II to the ADI-8 QS via ADAT.
If I set the 2nd UFX II to internal clock then the ADI-8 QS is in sync, but of course I loose sync to the 1st UFX II then.

How can I solve this?

1) Would a Wordclock connection from 2nd UFX II to the ADI-8 QS solve this or would it still not be able passing on the clock it receives via ADAT 2 from the 1st UFX II?

2)
I suppose a word clock cable from the 1st UFX II to the ADI-8 QS should definitely work, but it is quite a long distance and the ADAT runs smoothly via the Ethernet, I am looking for a different way than connecting a super long Wordclock cable between the two.
So if 1) does not work: Would an ADAT splitter be the solution then, going into the AUX In of the ADI-8 QS?

Hoping for some good advice, thank you!

Re: [Solved] Clocking Issue

Do you have an ADAT optical connection also from 2nd UFX II out to ADI-8 input? Clock only is sent in the same direction as audio signal.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Yes, I do and am aware of that.
But it cannot pass on the same clock it receives via ADAT, hence my question if a wordclock from 2nd UFX will solve it or if I need an ADAT Splitter.

Ok!
I cannot tell you if a wc connection would solve the issue.
Did you try different settings for the clock (single speed yes or no for example) and different sample rates? Or even use the other ADAT out on the UFX?
At what rate do you have the setup?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Running 48kHz mostly. Yes, tried different settings.

Turns out it was a cable issue. These optical cables are sometimes delicate, having loose connections.