1 (edited by andycroat 2023-06-09 14:14:27)

Topic: WCM not locking

I have just installed the WCM for my HDSP9632, followed all instructions, pushed in the termination button upon switching on the PC.
It is my understanding that according to the manual, as soon as I select Word Clock as a sync source, it should show 'Lock' in the SyncCheck section as well as the green LOCK LED illuminated on the card but neither are happening. It still shows Internal (or ADAT if such a sync is turned on) when Word Clock is selected.
Just in case, updated the driver from 4.29 to 4.36 (on Windows 7) and ran FUT once again.

The TERM LED does emit albeit a very hollow light (green, not yellow according to the manual), and the LOCK LED lights up fully bright for 2 seconds only upon switching on the PC til the BIOS boots. So the connection is secure.

Re: WCM not locking

Do you have a Word Clock cable connected to the input? And what device does the Word Clock come from?

Set the clock to internal, connect the WC cable from Output to Input on the WCM (loop back). Does the RME settings show SYNC now?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Good day Jeff,

I'm having this exact same problem with my older HDSP Madi (PCI Card).

Word Clock no longer works - Expansion board Rev 1.1

Hewitt Packard Z840 Server, Win 10 Pro - Main DAW is PT 12 HD Native (Reaper and Adobe also installed)

I've tried:

-Brand new Digiflex word clock cable
-Loop back with short 30cm cable (cable was pulled from a 2nd setup and can confirm it is good)
-Different clock source (my main is SSL Alpha Link - tried Soundcraft console, Focusrite Preamps, older Echo Audio Layla 24's)
-Updated to latest 4.46 driver, Flashed the card as well to ver. 207

Word Clock OUT from RME to SSL Alpha (SSL set to external and Term switch off) Not locking.

- SSL Locks, them when any DAW is opened it looses synch after 2 seconds, clicks, holds, looses etc.
- Soundcraft console does not lock at all.

When recording via Clock Source "MADI In", there is audible digital noise and artifacts. When I first bought the card it did this until I used the Word Clock cable and synchronized via WC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Mario

To further add to above, I did try the SSL Alpha WC out to other WC inputs and all work fine.

The SSL WC in also locks with other sources.

I pulled the RME card, cleaned and checked all contacts and ribbon cable and tried again.

Thanks.

Mario
Finally, I also tied installing in my old HP computer... but it has the same issue.

Mario @ Vortex wrote:

When recording via Clock Source "MADI In", there is audible digital noise and artifacts. When I first bought the card it did this until I used the Word Clock cable and synchronized via WC.

That sounds like the card was defective from the start, or your setup was incorrect (wrong sample rate selected, not matching the incoming signal). All our MADI products easily sync to an incoming MAD signal and don't need word to do so.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

andycroat wrote:

I have just installed the WCM for my HDSP9632, followed all instructions, pushed in the termination button upon switching on the PC.
It is my understanding that according to the manual, as soon as I select Word Clock as a sync source, it should show 'Lock' in the SyncCheck section as well as the green LOCK LED illuminated on the card but neither are happening. It still shows Internal (or ADAT if such a sync is turned on) when Word Clock is selected.
Just in case, updated the driver from 4.29 to 4.36 (on Windows 7) and ran FUT once again.

The TERM LED does emit albeit a very hollow light (green, not yellow according to the manual), and the LOCK LED lights up fully bright for 2 seconds only upon switching on the PC til the BIOS boots. So the connection is secure.

I am not sure the WCM has been connected correctly. Could you upload a photo showing the internal connections?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Mario @ Vortex wrote:

That sounds like the card was defective from the start, or your setup was incorrect (wrong sample rate selected, not matching the incoming signal). All our MADI products easily sync to an incoming MAD signal and don't need word to do so.

Hi Matthias,

I had sent an email over the weekend to support@ and Daniel had also replied.

He also suspects card is damaged and possibly to send it in for repair.

Thank you for your help.

Mario