Topic: LEQ Metering - PLEASE!!!!!

Can this be added to DigiCheck at some point?
It seems to be an impossibility finding a VST or a standalone LEQ option anywhere.
Did used to use Pinguin, but that does not seem to function since RME went to WDM drivers.

Re: LEQ Metering - PLEASE!!!!!

We cancelled our plans to add this, due to the very small number of users who would benefit from it. Solutions exist, even free, just Google...

http://www.channld.com/audle.html

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by neilwilkes 2008-09-09 08:23:13)

Mac only, so about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

LEQ would make a great addition to Digicheck - the current PP scales are pointless for all broadcast work as it still allows things to get L2'd to death, which is sadly far too common.

EDIT.
Where are these tools then?
I ran a google, and got Mac OSX stuff, and PAS systems.
PAS is useless as the 5.1 has no LEQ, the stereo does (I need it for Dialogue channels though)
plus - worse of all - they are MME drivers only, so useless with RME cards.
(I have the Pinguin Meters, which stopped working when the HDSP went over to WDM model as they are also MME only)

MC wrote:

We cancelled our plans to add this, due to the very small number of users who would benefit from it. Solutions exist, even free, just Google...

Ok ?
But to what loudness measuring standard do the DC5 surround comply then?
Because it do measure loudness right?

Best,
P

psvennevig wrote:
MC wrote:

Ok ?
But to what loudness measuring standard do the DC5 surround comply then?
Because it do measure loudness right?

Best,
P?l

Seems to measure Peak & RMS values and K-System.
no LEQ - none at all.

I would also like to see some of these solutions.
There are no 5.1 solutions short of spending a heck of a lot of money.
Also, most do not seem to match Dolby 737 or LM100.
Finally - I cannot find any in 5.1, just stereo.
Used to use Pinguin meters that does have LEQ, but since the Hammerfall DSP went to WDM driver models, it no longer works. As with PAS, they run on MME only.

LEQ would be useful for anyone working in Film/TV

After some more testing with DC5 here (sadly haven't had time earlier) I can see that it is possible to configure the RMS weight a good deal.
If you set up the surround meter for K20 you're already half there for movie spl monitoring. Then play with the release time for RMS and you can get very close to the LEQ settings.
In fact it is sad that Dolby controls so much of the broadcast standards. LEQ is not the best way to measure loudness over time. But I guess that is just the way it is.

Matthias:
Can you possibly implement loudness metering like TC have in their loudness meter?

P

As a mac user few days ago I found out audio leaq by channeld software and I was wery interested.
Just one  bug I noticed or i made something wrong:In real time mode I couldn't get back signal from spidf
but just from the analouge channels.There is a signal on channel 9-10 of totalmix but it is not showed on audioleq.
If i use for example 1-2 of my multiface2, audio leq get the signal.My configuration is:hdspe-multiface2-mytek.
Sorry Matthias I didn't report this before, but as you now mentioned that software.....Also but this is real OT with driver 2.63 the loopback seems not to work.
Thanks
Alessandro-Roma

"the current PP scales are pointless for all broadcast work as it still allows things to get L2'd to death"

what are PP scares and whats L2'd mean?

musicmaker wrote:

"the current PP scales are pointless for all broadcast work as it still allows things to get L2'd to death"

what are PP scares and whats L2'd mean?

PP scales are standard Broadcast Peak levels.
PP6 is equivalent to about -10dBFS or +8dBu.
L2 = Waves UltraMaximizer, which is responsible for some of the most dreadful sounding CD you will ever hear due to the insane way it trashes all dynamics in the name of volume.
HTH.

I'd like to add that the L2 (or simular limiters) also are responsible for some of the worst sounding TV shows.
That said, the engineer is still the chief right ?

P

psvennevig wrote:

I'd like to add that the L2 (or simular limiters) also are responsible for some of the worst sounding TV shows.
P

Indisputably!
That has to be one of the worst used tools ever designed.
Seems it's impossible to get some folks to understand that just because you *can* do something does not make it a good idea.
Personally, I slot in a UAD PLIM to catch nasties during the setup phase of a mix, and usually don;t need it at all by the time I export out. I hate overcompressed material.