Topic: How to have Mains out go to both AES and a stereo analog output pair?

The UAD Apollo had a great feature that mirrors the Main output to the digital output also, but since there are no Main outputs on the UFX III, how can I have my main monitor out from TotalMixFX go to both the AES out and to a stereo analog pair out at the same time with the same Main volume control? I need to do this because my mains are AES but my stereo subs are analog .

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-14 21:34:46)

Re: How to have Mains out go to both AES and a stereo analog output pair?

Hi and welcome!
On RME interfaces, every hardware output can be assigned as main out.
Here is a workaround:
1: Control Room section bottom right, click on "assign" > "Main out" > select AES (the AES out channel disappears on the left).
2: Right click on the analog hardware output channel you have in use for the subs and select "Mirror of output main".
3: Bring both the faders of main (which is now AES) and the analog out to the same level (for example +/- 0).
4: Go to "Groups" on the right side in TotalMix window, click "Edit", then "Fader", select "1" or what number you want, click on both the fader knobs of main out and analog out (they become colored), click "Edit" once again to save the state.

Now you have grouped faders for the two stereo output channels and the same mix on both.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Hi and welcome!
On RME interfaces, every hardware output can be assigned as main out.
Here is a workaround:
1: Control Room section bottom right, click on "assign" > "Main out" > select AES (the AES out channel disappears on the left).
2: Right click on the analog hardware output channel you have in use for the subs and select "Mirror of output main".
3: Bring both the faders of main (which is now AES) and the analog out to the same level (for example +/- 0).
4: Go to "Groups" on the right side in TotalMix window, click "Edit", then "Fader", select "1" or what number you want, click on both the fader knobs of main out and analog out (they become colored), click "Edit" once again to save the state.

Now you have grouped faders for the two stereo output channels and the same mix on both.

Perfect! Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

Were you able to get this to work?

I am in the same situation. I want to run my Adam Audio S3Vs using AES, which they are currently.
Then I have an Adam Audio Sub12, which I have RME Outputs 3/4 going to the Input of my sub.
I followed all the above steps of mirroring, and I see a signal on this channel, but the sub still does not play.

I'm not sure what I am missing here.

Thank you.

You can see the signal on Output channel 3/4 ?
Sure you have connected the cables at the Outputs 3/4 and not to the inputs 3/4 ?
There are a lot of sockets at the backside of the unit, one can easy plug to the wrong place...

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

:-) Yes, I made sure they were connected to the Outputs, but hey, certainly doesn't help to double check.

I even went as far as connecting a synth directly to my sub, just to check, and the sub works fine. It's only with this setup it seems. I will keep playing around. I'm sure I'm missing something!

Thanks again.

7 (edited by waedi 2023-11-17 21:35:34)

You also can do a cable loopback test, from output 3/4 cabling direct to input 3/4 or 5/6 or elsewhere.
The Input channel in Totalmix has to show the same signal as on the output channels.
If you see the signal on the output channel then there must be the same signal on the cables.
A screenshot of your Totalmix may be helpful.

8 (edited by KevboKev 2023-11-17 22:15:52)

Even with doing a loopback test, not sure what to necessary look for.

https://i.ibb.co/DWw0Pq0/TotalMix.jpg
https://ibb.co/sRs8pB8

Hopefully this image uploads, but as you can see, I have my Main Out routed to AES.
The  Software Playback changes all the time. Right now you can see AES is lit up, but sometimes it's ANALOG 1/2.
I'm not sure the rhyme or reason on how that gets decided, nor am I familiar with what choosing the input/output on the bottom of each channel does (NOTE: It says AES at the bottom of every single channel).

Then I have Analog Hardware Out 3/4 with signal, but it's certainly not my sub. I guess I have to route that to Main Out as well, but even when I assign just AN 3/4 to my Main Out, I still don't get sound from the sub, rather my S3Vs still play, and they are connected via AES, so not sure how that's happening.

9 (edited by waedi 2023-11-17 22:29:57)

At the bottom of the channels you don't have to change or selet something.
It shows AES on every Software playback channel because the main-out is active (highlighted) and AES is mirrored there.
Click once into Output channel Adat 7/8 and see at the bottom of every software playback channel it shows no longer AES but Adat 7/8. It shows the active routing destination. Active due to have clicked onto an output channel.
The Output channel 3/4 has signal.
With the cable-loopback you can test if that signal really goes out to the cables.
Plug the cables into input sockets 3/4 (instead of the sub) and you should see the signal on input channels 3/4 in Totalmix.

waedi wrote:

At the bottom of the channels, you don't have to change or select something.
It shows AES on every Software playback channel because the main-out is active (highlighted) and AES is mirrored there.

.... and AES has been assigned to Main out.

Copying and mirroring of a submix is another functionality.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

OK, I think I got it. I'm not sure what I did, but the sub is now playing. Now I need to figure out how to save this preset to always have.  haha

I also have an ARC USB I yet to even open the plastic from the box yet, so that will be next tasks after I get everything dialed in here.

Thank you all for your rapid responses and help. I truly appreciate it, and nice to see a community forum so willing to help. I only ever tend to see that in my Marantz forums and other audiophile type forums. Much appreciated, everyone!!!

Post 2 is interesting for using the ARC.
Create a fader-group of main-out and output 3/4 (the Sub) 
Saving the preset is "saving as snapshot" or saving workspace.
Snapshot is easy to reload from the ARC