1 (edited by ramses 2023-06-22 14:48:09)

Topic: UFX III - differences to UFX+ (link to blog article)

I put together some information about the new RME Fireface UFX III, mainly the key differences to the well-known UFX+.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … iii-en-de/

Additionally some screenshots of

• TotalMix FX. You see there my workspace with different SW playbacks for creating flexible monitoring submixes and the integration of external FX (Lexicon) that can be used as FX for guitar as well as FX for the DAW (Cubase).

• MADIface driver settings

• DIGIcheck NG 0.61 Beta. My workspace gives a nice overview on Full-HD screens and leaves space for gadgets on the right side (8Gadgets pack for Win10/11).

• RME connector 2.0.0 b15, remote controlling an RME 12Mic and Octamic XTC

• the setup (rack, external FX) and

• three power strips where I can switch on/off PC, RME environment with ext FX and Amp related stuff. Also in this picture: the two Startech USB3 3 m extension cables, one for the UFX III, the other for the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE as the Startech USB3 extension is USB2 compatible.

You can also download my workspace file for DIGIcheck NG 0.61 Beta for the UFX III there.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: UFX III - differences to UFX+ (link to blog article)

Congrats on your new UFX III, Ramses!!

And thanks for the review!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thanks and you're welcome :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It seems the UFX III drops thunderbolt?  I guess RME decided it wasn't worth it?

UFX+, Reaper, Ableton, Mac, Drummer, Modular, Norns/PiSound/Organelle....

5 (edited by ramses 2023-06-28 15:51:36)

You seem to have missed some threads to that topic...

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 05#p199205
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 37#p199337

Apologies - I only seem to come around when I have problems!  But thank you very much as always.  An interesting thread and I can understand why TB didn't have much future with RME.

I never even use the TB on my UFX+ and my USB experience has been excellent. And that includes also having two OPTX ADAT modules and a 16ch Ferrofish so I have a lot of throughput and never have problems. 

But I recently upgraded my Mac mini to a Mac Studio and was thinking about revisiting getting TB to work. From looking at your charts the latency difference is miniscule.  But what about the CPU load?  Just wondering if I should even waste the time.   

Also hope my module doesn't get a bit orphaned - though that doesn't seem to be RME's way based on prior products. 

Thx again.

UFX+, Reaper, Ableton, Mac, Drummer, Modular, Norns/PiSound/Organelle....

7 (edited by ramses 2023-06-29 22:19:26)

I couldn't perform an exact measuring. I would have needed a monitoring agent and a monitoring system or something like that.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cks-de-en/

What I did is to watch the Windows gadget showing the CPU load min/max ~average and
whether I can notice audio drops during playback of this "artificial" project, generating a severe DAW load.
I didn't notice any significant differences between RayDAT (PCIe) and UFX+ (USB3)
using the lowest ASIO buffersize at single and double speed (32, 64 samples).

If you prefer TB, fully your choice and then maybe make your own experiences and report here.
Sadly I never had a system with TB .. but RayDAT with PCIe should be on par for a comparison,
as thunderbolt is something like "external PCIe".