51 (edited by m1k3 2023-06-25 02:35:39)

Re: ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release: Step 1, macOS (Update: released)

MC wrote:

I will post here when the iPad app is available in the App store. IMHO needs at least two more weeks.

Looking forward to that iPad app since I use my iPad Pro (Apple Music and Qobuz) as my main streamer to the RME ADI-2 DAC via USB; but I couldn’t wait ;-) so I loaded the new FW on the DAC and the app on a 2021 Macbook Pro M1 Max and it is AWESOME!

The first thing I did was load each of my setups on the RME and then save them with the Remote program to disk. I have always hoped for a way to backup the hours I have spent on these setups. Thank you!

Currently I’m using a Lumin streamer connected via S/PDIF Coax to the RME DAC and simultaneously connected via USB (Macbook to the RME) in order to use the real-time control capabilities of your Remote app. VERY COOL. No bugs experienced so far.

Thanks MC for this! I am on the original ADI-2 DAC FS with AK4490. I have wanted to upgrade to the latest model but transferring all my Setups and PEQs manually was too daunting. I am no longer dreading when this original ADI-2 DAC will fail, since I can now transfer them to the next RME DAC I buy. You made a customer for life.

Cheers

Thank you all so far for the very positive feedback! This is what keeps us working in the late hours wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh MC...and SO MUCH easer to give to or change a name of a PEQ or Set-Up from within the ADI-2 remote app. Much appreciated !

Happy with ADI-2 DAC FS (ESS) ! iMac 2017 - iPad mini 6 - Apple Music.
Nantes | France

What is the oldest MAC OS that this remote will support.

Below 10.11 it won't work. With 10.11 it depends on the hardware as not all Macs running that OS are Metal compatible. See here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

56 (edited by hasan.ay386 2023-06-27 09:58:10)

will it be possible to use the app with shortcuts in the future?
it would be really cool to use my CONTOUR SchuttlePro or Streamdeck like a monitor controller

https://i.ibb.co/7jLYMJJ/Shuttle-Left-Hand.jpg

Hello,
I’m afraid the “Installation” instructions are incomprehensible for this lowly IPad Pro user. How do I install this on my machine, exactly? I never made it beyond downloading the two zip files.
Best
Steven

Hi. I'm very new to this, having only installed my ADI-2 yesterday. I could have really used an app to do it, especially with my dual AutoEQ-plus-tweaks HD650 PEQ settings...!

Couple of quick questions, and sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere (I did read the thread as best I could):

• will the Windows FUT be updated (with FPGA 80, DSP 53) when the iPad app releases? (I don't have Mac.)

• are there any plans for direct download/import of AutoEQ profiles?

The flash tool doesn't run on my MacBook Pro M1 Ventura 13.4.1 ... never had any problems before with the flash tool ...

I am asked if I really want to run the tool and then it seems to open but doesn't ...

I too do not have a Mac, but I use an IPad to control my music streams to the RME ADI 2.  Will I be able to update the the RME from my PC as normal so that I can use the IPad App when it is ready?

Saint65 wrote:

The flash tool doesn't run on my MacBook Pro M1 Ventura 13.4.1 ... never had any problems before with the flash tool ...

I am asked if I really want to run the tool and then it seems to open but doesn't ...

As that (obviously) worked for anyone else - are you sure you opened the correct file?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ratty wrote:

will the Windows FUT be updated (with FPGA 80, DSP 53) when the iPad app releases? (I don't have Mac.)

Of course.

ratty wrote:

are there any plans for direct download/import of AutoEQ profiles?

No such plans.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Saint65 wrote:

As that (obviously) worked for anyone else - are you sure you opened the correct file?

Yes, I am. As it is not the first time I update the ADI Pro's firmware.

Problem was that the device wasn't recognized by the system so the tool couldn't been executed.  Sorry for my hasty post ...

Sorry to appear a bit dim but this is not a wi-fi remote is it , I need to have a cable connected from my lap top to the adi 2 for it to work?

Exactly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think it is a wonderful app, Matthias!
Thank you for that, eagerly waiting for the iPad app now. For me, as a normal HiFi listener, without knowledge how to use a Peq, the app makes life very simple ;-) Setting an Oratory 1990 Peq for a headphone ( in my case a MrSpeakers AEon flow) is a piece of cake.
I have a hearing loss of about 30 dB in my left ear above 4 kHz. Listen to a pink noise mono input and alter the Peq for the left channel, visualised in the app, easy.
I know it always was possible, but those little knobs and the way how to use them…..hurrah for the app!

Regards, Rien

67 (edited by Paul Barnett 2023-06-29 03:01:06)

It looks like you are not planning an android version - is this true?

Clearly this is a decision you are perfectly free to make, but can you explain why?

is it a business decision, or something else?

For interest, see for example https://history-computer.com/android-ma … t-to-know/

apple 28%, android 72%

(and yes, I'm biased - I don't own an apple device, and my PCs can run windows, but normally don't)

68 (edited by ning 2023-06-30 07:05:36)

Paul Barnett wrote:

It looks like you are not planning an android version - is this true?

Clearly this is a decision you are perfectly free to make, but can you explain why?

is it a business decision, or something else?

For interest, see for example https://history-computer.com/android-ma … t-to-know/

apple 28%, android 72%

(and yes, I'm biased - I don't own an apple device, and my PCs can run windows, but normally don't)

Android audio pipeline is a mess so it is relatively difficult to support audio on Android. this is related to the architecture choice of Android so impossible to change. Not criticizing it but the OS is not designed for the creator market. Stating android phone market is larger than apple does not help the argument here --- close to zero musicians are using Android for their productivity work.
Not to mention in the tablet market android is entirely losing to Apple.
For RME hiring an Android engineer just to write/maintain the remote app does not make sense.
As mentioned above when the midi command specs are out there will surely be some hobbyists doing it so eventually it will be (unofficially) supported.

69 (edited by Viennacalling 2023-06-30 21:02:03)

Saint65 wrote:

i have a MacBook Air M1 with 13.4 and it worked on both RMEs
I upgraded to 13.4.1 and it worked

BUT you have to plug in an RME-device to the MAC

if there is no RME plugged in, the update program does NOT start

maybe an error message if no device is found could be helpful

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

I hope you don't forget us Linux users :-).

Thank you for the great work!

I didn‘t managed to save the eq-settings permanently to the device. The eq name  and the settings dissapear, if i turn of the device.
The steps are:
1. Load the eq Presets with file / load Factory/ eq examples
2. select a preset
3. press store
4. press listen
5. change to line out
6. store the selected preset

Is that correct?

Thanks
Frank

Hi, sorry for my english. only speak spanish.

I am blind, i use Voiceover, official Apple Screen reader, i has been run Adi-2 Remote app, the problem is that not read nothing, you must do your app usable by Voiceover.

Can you read this link?

https://developer.apple.com/documentati … o_your_app

Thanks.

Atro wrote:

I hope you don't forget us Linux users :-).

Linux situation will be similar to android. no official support. but it's easy to program one once the midi specs are out.
In fact, one can just program a webpage (or in electron framework) using the Web Midi API standard and it should work across all desktop operating systems.

A web app/web server solution would be the most flexible. If someone uses e.g. a Raspberry Pi 4 (or another maybe even headless computer) as streaming client, access to all settings and parameters would be possible via a remotely controlled web app from any browser.

frank@mail4schneider.de wrote:

Thank you for the great work!

I didn‘t managed to save the eq-settings permanently to the device. The eq name  and the settings dissapear, if i turn of the device.
The steps are:
1. Load the eq Presets with file / load Factory/ eq examples
2. select a preset

No. You select the Preset before you 'import' the file settings. That should be obvious as the moment you hit 'Load - file select - ok' the current Preset name is changed.

3. press store

Now the Preset is transferred to the device on that exact EQ Preset slot.

4. press listen
5. change to line out
6. store the selected preset

If you change to the device output page then you go to the list of EQ Presets and select the one you want to have active. Same as you would do at the unit.

Edit: Using Listen you have to make sure you have copied the edited PEQ (via Listen) to the correct output page (you have to make it active before changing to the Editor page) - check the updated EQ curve. Then go to Store and select 'Store into Device'. That works as well.

Edit2: The function Listen has been completely reworked in v046.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

76 (edited by coloboxp 2023-07-07 19:33:48)

Happy to join the gang!,

The unit is on the way and I'm so happy to see this app is also going to be compatible with it (ADI-2-DAC FS).

Looking forward for Windows version and also Android (tablet).

Edit: Unit received big_smile

I just joined to report that the last update 0.42 is crashing on my M1 Mac, Macos 12.6.7. The previous version was working fine with no crashes. This is what I get when I run the App. Blank GUI, and crashes immediately when I minimize the app.

https://i.ibb.co/Cb1PmSQ/Screenshot-2023-07-05-at-11-31-40.png

It's only me that found the polarity switches are not working?
"M/S Proc" seems to work but "Left" & "Right" don't.
Please take a look on the matter.

Tested on M1 iMAC 2021, Ver 13.4.1

MC have you dauthers?

Means what?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

IdleTalk wrote:

It's only me that found the polarity switches are not working?
"M/S Proc" seems to work but "Left" & "Right" don't.

Confirmed, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for checking out. I'll be waiting for next version.

I have one more thing to suggest:
Could you please revert the direction of mouse wheel action on the virtual knobs?
(1-finger swipe with the Magic Mouse / 2-fingers swipe with Trackpad)

At its current state,
swiping left / down turns the knob clockwise,
swiping right / up turns the knob counter-clockwise.
For me this feels counter intuitive.

Click-drag works OK.

We'll check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Means what?

It means that if your children or your spouse were blind, you would certainly make your app accessible to use with a screen reader.

No one said we won't...but we'll have to check if this is possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This was a fantastic surprise and something I never would have expected to be added to hardware I purchased several years ago!  I came to the forum for something else and after stumbling upon this thread I've forgotten what I originally came for smile

Not to sound greedy, but I would like to express my support for the earlier request about adding keyboard shortcuts -- at least for some of the basic functions like volume up/down or switching inputs.  That will allow integration with other products like Stream Deck.  It might also somewhat reduce the need for a screen reader since it's not as important to read the screen if you can use shortcuts to directly execute the desired actions.

Windows version when?

JK, really looking forward to this, thanks for your efforts! smile

Happily using two ADI-2 DACs to enjoy the best thing in life. ^^

kanefsky wrote:

[...] but I would like to express my support for the earlier request about adding keyboard shortcuts [...]

I'd like to second this, that'd be really nice. ^^

Happily using two ADI-2 DACs to enjoy the best thing in life. ^^

Please update remote app for Adi 2/4 Pro SE, refresh the download page everyday to check the update! can't wait!

MC wrote:

ADI-2 Series Remote – Public Pre-Release of macOS app

Set of example files with 18 PEQs as Setup and as single files, to load into the editor and/or app:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2 … efiles.zip

Hi!

May I ask if those presets are based on either autoEQ settings or personal taste?

I've tried to find a correlation with oratory1990's for the ADI-2 DAC but couldn't find any; (I'm wondering if I could do a converter for example autoEQ's).

Thank you

91 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-08 06:41:34)

coloboxp wrote:

May I ask if those presets are based on either autoEQ settings or personal taste?

I've tried to find a correlation with oratory1990's for the ADI-2 DAC but couldn't find any; (I'm wondering if I could do a converter for example autoEQ's).

Here’s a list of Oratory1990 presets that are different from the Auto EQ Project:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wi … f_presets/

Here’s a smaller list of Oratory1990 presets tailored for ADI-2:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wi … rme_adi-2/

KaiS wrote:
coloboxp wrote:

Here’s a list of Oratory1990 presets that are different from the Auto EQ Project:

Indeed, what I tried is to understand if it is a "custom" EQ, or if it is based on autoEQ or oratory1990s.

If you open the PEQ file you'll see it is an XML with some values, this is the visualization of HD800S' PEQ, vs the settings from oratory1990:

https://i.imgur.com/aSzgwzi.png

I am still waiting of course for the Windows or Android version of the app, but I'd like to transform some of my EQs into RME's; Perhaps if we had the XSD for the XMLs would be slightly easier, like for example, to know which EQ types are equivalent to which numbers and so on.

Yet I guess I'll end up asking oratory1990 for a measurement as I am interested on the one for the HD820

93 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-08 16:47:06)

coloboxp wrote:
KaiS wrote:
coloboxp wrote:

Indeed, what I tried is to understand if it is a "custom" EQ, or if it is based on autoEQ or oratory1990s.

If you open the PEQ file you'll see it is an XML with some values, this is the visualization of HD800S' PEQ, vs the settings from oratory1990:

https://i.imgur.com/aSzgwzi.png

I am still waiting of course for the Windows or Android version of the app, but I'd like to transform some of my EQs into RME's; Perhaps if we had the XSD for the XMLs would be slightly easier, like for example, to know which EQ types are equivalent to which numbers and so on.

Yet I guess I'll end up asking oratory1990 for a measurement as I am interested on the one for the HD820

Just type it in - these few figures.
Band Type “1.0” seems to be shelving, yes or no, you see the result in ADI-2.

coloboxp wrote:
MC wrote:

Set of example files with 18 PEQs as Setup and as single files, to load into the editor and/or app:

Please see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 75#p204175

I just fixed a copy&paste error - the included curve for HD800S is my own, and not related to Oratory, Harman or else. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

95 (edited by coloboxp 2023-07-09 18:37:56)

MC wrote:
coloboxp wrote:
MC wrote:

Please see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 75#p204175

I just fixed a copy&paste error - the included curve for HD800S is my own, and not related to Oratory, Harman or else. Sorry for the confusion.

No issue at all, on the contrary thank you for your help, it is much appreciated MC!

I guess I better will wait for the windows app and do the tunning on it; I've got my ADI-2 DAC last Thursday and I haven't got used yet to how to control the menus and settings, lots of fun ahead big_smile

Hello again

Thank you for the hint, got it a bit later hehe smile

I've made some code to produce your XML format based on oratory1990's measurements, here is the colab notebook for you or anyone else to comment, extend, improve etc. Provided as is, no warranty, etc etc.

https://colab.research.google.com/drive … sp=sharing

You can freely open and run it

The code takes the measurements (in pseudo CSV format) as well as the preset name then outputs an XML respecting all the formatting, tabs, etc; almost as the original XML (.adieqpr) file.

The only difference is that it adds an "Band{1-5}Type" attribute for each of them, but I think it doesn't hurt.

If not on scope.. then maybe later on you can add an option to load PEQs from the filesystem, so people can share them or upload those generated with this script.

That works already now...

And thanks for the 'converter' - that is the kind of stuff we hoped the community will start to bring up. Publishing all the MIDI commands later on will push this even further - exciting times ahead!

Next Mac version should be available later today.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Version 0.46 is now available with these changes:

- Polarity buttons did not work

- mouse usage for knobs and sliders fixed to natural scrolling

- fixed a crash scenario on minimizing the app

- completely reworked Listen button and functionality

The latter requires a new firmware, DSP 54. It now changes the unit's EQ into PEQ Temp when EQ control commands are received.

As a result the Listen button now operates more intuitive, like a pre-listen function. The Listen function is exit automatically when changing a preset, the outputs etc. - whenever it should. Editing the EQ on the app while the device is in the graphical PEQ - Select Preset screen, updates the screen accordingly. Finally it is even possible to modify the EQ on the device while in  Listen mode - there is no reason to use it this way (instead of mouse), but the whole process and interaction is fully consistent.

This finalizes the Mac version. It will be frozen until we have an identical Windows version. The iPad app will equal v046 and be released soon.

Updated links in the first post! Don't forget to update the DAC's firmware!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No. You select the Preset before you 'import' the file settings. That should be obvious as the moment you hit 'Load - file select - ok' the current Preset name is changed.

3. press store
Now the Preset is transferred to the device on that exact EQ Preset slot.

Sorry, but I still could not mange to save the selected preset on the device

On the device the eq preset to load is Preset 1
In the app i am on the tab eq preset
After selecting eg preset 1, i load the preset file "feel good". After that, the display on the app shows the correct curve and the correct name of the eg 1. Feel Good.
then I press the button device store, but on the display of the device, the display shows still name "free" and the curve without change.
That is the same state, if I turn off/on the device

Could you please explain what to to step by step or what I am doing wrong?

Thank you very much

100 (edited by TKO 2023-07-13 19:12:23)

Hi - I am getting a crash everytime I launch the remote application on my Macbook Air running 10.13.6.  All firmware updates installed and verified.  I have the crash file to send someone if requested.

Thanks.

TKO

-----------

NEVERMIND - my mistake.  Although my Operating System is compatible my Macbook Air hardware is not.  (Macbook Air, 13-inch, Late 2010)