Re: ADI-2 Remote Pre-Release: Step 1, macOS (Update: released)

when will the app for Adi-2 Pro be released?

when its ready wink RME told already that it will come later, if they would knew they would tell.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The app for macOS has been released today as v1.0. The iPad app 1.0 is with Apple and awaiting approval.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

do not see version 1 for MacOS on your site yet.

You did not look for Software.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Apparently I did’nt. Found it and……..

IPad version is out !!!!!!! Nice ! Thank you, Matthias and your team!

Well...installed the iPad version.
I have DSP ver 54 installed. Working on a iPad pro 2021, iPadOS 16.6 ( 20G5070a)
Midi control active on ADI-2 DAC
App 'says' : Adi-2 dac ( do not see 'connected')
Found out to use volume knob, at the outline of this 'knob'
cannot control Eq preset etc . When I touch a knob it does not react, I have to put my finger left 1.2 cm above the knob.
Alignment is not right, at least not with my iPadOS version......

Sadly

Hello,

I'm having issues running the ADI-2 Remote app on my Mac OS Ventura 13.4.1 with my ADO-2/4 Pro SE.. I see from the forum and the user guide it requires DSP firmware version 80/54 (FPGA/DSP), I've downloaded the RME USB Series Flash Tools and the firmware readme file states that the firmware updates ADI-2/4 Pro SE to: FPGA 70, DSP 32.

Am I missing something, or have the incorrect firmware versions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

rienm wrote:

I have DSP ver 54 installed. Working on a iPad pro 2021, iPadOS 16.6 ( 20G5070a)
cannot control Eq preset etc . When I touch a knob it does not react, I have to put my finger left 1.2 cm above the knob.

Portrait mode or landscape mode? iPad Pro 2.Gen with 16.5.1 works as intended. And 16.6 is beta, so not really relevant.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

voxvocis wrote:

Hello,

I'm having issues running the ADI-2 Remote app on my Mac OS Ventura 13.4.1 with my ADO-2/4 Pro SE.. I see from the forum and the user guide it requires DSP firmware version 80/54 (FPGA/DSP), I've downloaded the RME USB Series Flash Tools and the firmware readme file states that the firmware updates ADI-2/4 Pro SE to: FPGA 70, DSP 32.

Am I missing something, or have the incorrect firmware versions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It must be really hard to overlook that the app is FOR ADI-2 DAC only...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Will there be an update to include the ADI 2/4 Pro?

voxvocis wrote:

Will there be an update to include the ADI 2/4 Pro?

Please re-read the first post in this very thread...

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

The iPad app is awesome! Thanks MC and RME.

Feature request: an option for the Menu>”Save Setup to…” function, to allow saving to an iCloud Drive folder (something I can do on the MAC app, but it looks like the iPad app saves Setups to the app’s local storage).  Then the option to Menu> “Load Setup” from iCloud Drive folder. Thanks for considering.

P.S.; Thanks for implementing support for Split Screen, and allowing 1/3 and 1/2 screen scaling!! This is awesome with a 12.9” iPad Pro mounted on a magnetic Magic Keyboard screen/stand and having Apple Music in split-screen multi-tasking mode with the RME Remote app. Very cool, thanks!

MC wrote:
rienm wrote:

Portrait mode or landscape mode? iPad Pro 2.Gen with 16.5.1 works as intended. And 16.6 is beta, so not really relevant.

Both in portrait and landscape mode. Probably the beta is the problem. I expect to arrive the official version of 16.6 in one ore two weeks... presume the app will work then

115 (edited by chpine2 2023-07-14 23:15:29)

My unusual(?) setup precludes using the program. A Windows desktop PC in one room, equipped with Minimserver, serves music into my wi-fi network. A streamer box, part of my audio system which resides in another room, receives the stream and passes it to my RME ADI-2 FS via coaxial or Toslink. I don't have an iPad. I use BubbleUPnP on an Android tablet to control the DLNA stream from Minimserver.

So there is no way for me to use the program? I would settle for this: run the program on Windows, even though the DAC is not wired into it, save a file onto a USB memory stick, and plug the stick into the RME USB port. I don't know whether it would even be possible for an RME firmware update to make it possible for the program to use the USB port this way.

That will not come, sorry. It is  not possible to turn a Client USB port into a Host USB port (needed to read drives). And without a real USB connection there is no way to communicate commands from the app.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

117 (edited by unpluggged 2023-07-15 10:01:02)

MC wrote:

That will not come, sorry. It is  not possible to turn a Client USB port into a Host USB port (needed to read drives). And without a real USB connection there is no way to communicate commands from the app.

Not to mention it's much easier to connect the unit directly to a computer, configure it, and then disconnect it than to run back and forth with USB sticks.

Is it also intended that simply turning PEQ on/off changes the preset to "Temp (changed Preset)"?
I'd like to keep the preset as it is when I turn off PEQ.

* please ignore my "report". I misread it as "reply" smile

rienm wrote:
MC wrote:
rienm wrote:

Both in portrait and landscape mode. Probably the beta is the problem. I expect to arrive the official version of 16.6 in one ore two weeks... presume the app will work then

Update:
I could not wait.... Restored my iPad, installed the latest beta 15.6 , set back my back-up...
The Adi-2 remote works as it should, perfect!

120 (edited by weme 2023-07-19 19:20:43)

MC wrote:

Version 0.46 is now available...
This finalizes the Mac version. It will be frozen until we have an identical Windows version.

Old DigiCheck runs under Windows 7 (XP), DigiCheck NG requires Windows >= 10 - because of the graphics functions (Direct3D >= Vers. 12).
Those who still work with professional, very stable older hardware [and who especially do not want to support the strategy of MS "control and dominate the computer world"] can use old DigiCheck versions - that's great from RME!

The simple graphics functions of ADI-2 Remote would not need Direct3D 12.
So will you realise an ADI-2 Remote for Windows that will still run under Windows 7 or do you want an "identical Windows version" for cost reasons?

###

Edit 2023-07-19 to my short hint "cost reasons" since not everyone understands:

MC wrote:

- DC NG (DigiCheck NG) will not run under Windows 7, it requires Windows 10 or higher.

- DC NG uses Direct3D 12, which was not available before Windows 10, and is not supported by the above old Intel CPU graphics generations, or similarly old other graphics cards.

- DC NG Windows/macOS is a cross platform project that uses Metal on macOS. Therefore adding global support for old PC systems is not possible. ...
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 56#p203356

So ADI-2 Remote could also be a cross-platform project ...
Good for RME - a pity for some users

IdleTalk wrote:

Is it also intended that simply turning PEQ on/off changes the preset to "Temp (changed Preset)"?

We just fixed that in a firmware update. Will be available soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just found this thread today when looking whether there is an app to control my ADI-2 PRO FS R.  I see that this app is for the DAC version only but that the Pro will be coming along.  I absolutely love the sound of this device with headphones and through my monitors. It's clear that the SteadyClock FS makes a significant difference in the clarity and imaging.  Forgive me if this has already been answered, but do you have any idea when the version of this app will support my device?  Also, is there any possibility that you can release the MIDI mappings to the controls on the ADI-2 PRO at some point?  I am developing some software that I would like to do some automated testing on and I need to, at least, control the volume of the ADI-2 PRO during my testing. As long as I know which MIDI device to read/write and the correct codes to control the volume I'm good to go.  Even better if I could have the MIDI codes to make it easy to read and write the equalizer settings that would be the ideal.  Thanks for the excellent product! My ears are very happy!

Mattias, kannst du bitte vielleicht den Applink für iOS vom Appstore in den ersten Thread dazuschreiben? - Danke

https://apps.apple.com/at/app/adi-2-rem … 6449708476

Dann tun sich die Leute leichter die später mal hier landen.

Freue mich schon, wenn die Pro Unterstützung kommt.

Geniale Arbeit - ziehe meinen Hut.

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

You lucky one wink Ich freue mich schon auf die Windows Version für den Pro :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:
IdleTalk wrote:

Version DSP 55 is now available from our website downloads, or link in first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

May I know, what is the minimum iPad model required to run ADI-2 Remote?

Guess your iPad should have a USB-C socket (like mine).

chpine2 wrote:

May I know, what is the minimum iPad model required to run ADI-2 Remote?

Happy with ADI-2 DAC FS (ESS) ! iMac 2017 - iPad mini 6 - Apple Music.
Nantes | France

The app store says "Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later" so my guess is that any iPad that supports the minimum OS version would work.

I don't think that USB-C is required since you can connect USB devices to the Lightning port of older iPads using the Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter.

MC wrote:
MC wrote:
IdleTalk wrote:

Version DSP 55 is now available from our website downloads, or link in first post.

Thanks for the quick fix!

I have one more thing to report.

The Deemphasis doesn't seem to work.

I remember I was able to hear difference between On/Off when I tested with USB months ago, but not any more with latest version: Ver.55 / RemoteApp 1.0(2).

Maybe it's just my hearing got worse but I can hear differences when I alter EQ@10kHz+, not denying it also might be a placebo.

Could you make a quick check on it?

IdleTalk wrote:

You could use the Spectral Analyzer with a signal >= 10 kHz or a noise signal when you switch the analyzer to the output. Then you don't have to stress your ears.

ramses wrote:

when its ready wink

Is it ready already?

Happily using two ADI-2 DACs to enjoy the best thing in life. ^^

weme wrote:
IdleTalk wrote:

You could use the Spectral Analyzer with a signal >= 10 kHz or a noise signal when you switch the analyzer to the output. Then you don't have to stress your ears.

No, doesn‘t work, as Deemphasis is a function of the DAC chip, not the DSP, the Analyzer doesn’t “see” the DAC’s processing.
I just double checked this practically.

Deemphasis is limited to 44.1 and 48 kHz sample rate for the same reason.
So with higher SRs switching doesn’t result in any different output.

KaiS wrote:
weme wrote:
IdleTalk wrote:

No, doesn‘t work, as Deemphasis is a function of the DAC chip, not the DSP, the Analyzer doesn’t “see” the DAC’s processing.

That was it!
Now I can hear very well that deemphasis works as it should.
Then upsampling CD-rips that had pre-emphasis is not a good idea, is it?

IdleTalk wrote:
KaiS wrote:
weme wrote:

That was it!
Now I can hear very well that deemphasis works as it should.
Then upsampling CD-rips that had pre-emphasis is not a good idea, is it?

Not really, you should apply Deemphasis during the upsampling process.

If not, you can use ADI-2’s PEQ for Deemphasis, but would need to switch that manually on a per track basis - just a lasts resort thing.

kanefsky wrote:

The app store says "Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later" so my guess is that any iPad that supports the minimum OS version would work. ...

Thank you.

Here’s a list of iPads that support iOS 12:
    iPad Air 1, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro (12.9 inch, 2015), iPad Pro (9.7 inch), iPad 2017, iPad Pro (10.5 inch), iPad Pro (12.9 inch, 2017), iPad 2018
    iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4
per www.macworld.com/article/671160/which-iphones-ipads-can-get-ios-12.html

rienm wrote:

Sadly

I had the same problem. This happens when IpadOS settings> display and brightness> screen zoom> larger text. If we activate the default size then the application works correctly. The problem should be solved because there are many of us with visual difficulties who have this option activated

Thanks for this great app. At last we will be able to take advantage of all the capabilities of the ADI-2 FS. One suggestion: now that there is an application for Ipad, would it also be possible in the future to update the firmware from the Ipad itself?

xifonet wrote:

I had the same problem. This happens when IpadOS settings> display and brightness> screen zoom> larger text. If we activate the default size then the application works correctly. The problem should be solved because there are many of us with visual difficulties who have this option activated

All these issues with localization and accessibility are what made it so painful to release software when I worked for a big software company.  You'd have a three-letter word in English in a little box that would translate to a 27-letter word in German and take up half the screen, for example smile. Right-to-left languages always added some fun too.

Hi thanks for this incredible DAC and this new remote app.  It makes changing the EQ a much better, actually doable experience.

A few issues with the iPad App:
The iPad app for me is not functional.  5th Generation iPad Pro running 16.6.  I can install and connect but changing the settings is almost impossible because the touch calibration seems off by 10 cm.  I was able to install on my MAC and it works perfectly.

On the V55 firmware:
I am currently using REW and UMIK-1 to measure and calibrate my room.  This is how I found that there was a new app, yeah for that!  However, I have measurements in my room using the prior firmware and the new firmware a few hours later same mic, position, etc. And I noticed a significant change in the HF like a big drop off in the new firmware above 16K vs. The old mostly flat until 22K.  Is there a way to downgrade the firmware or something to validate that it is not caused by the new FW?  I have not listened enough or maybe my hearing above 16K is not great anymore.

140 (edited by weme 2023-07-21 01:04:53)

@MC for information

KaiS wrote:
weme wrote:
IdleTalk wrote:

You could use the Spectral Analyzer with a signal >= 10 kHz or a noise signal when you switch the analyzer to the output. ...

No, doesn‘t work, ... I just double checked this practically. ...

Trust (in manuals) is good - control can be better:

Manual of the ADI-2 DAC (04/2022. Version 3.1), page 28:
14.1.4 Display
Hor. Meter
The horizontal stereo level meter below the Analyzer can show the peak level before all DSP
processing (Pre, equals the current input level from USB playback and SPDIF In), after all pro-
cessing including volume control (Post), or both at the same time (Dual). ...
Post FX dBu shows the analog output level as numerical values referenced to dBu.
Post FX dBu zeigt den analogen Ausgangspegel als numerischen Wert in dBu (German version).

So I took my second ADI-2 DAC out of the cabinet and tested it like you did: your hint is correct - the ADC required for the function "shows the analog output level" is missing!
The "problem" has been caused by the wording "analog (to)".

HMANAZ wrote:

The iPad app for me is not functional.  5th Generation iPad Pro running 16.6.  I can install and connect but changing the settings is almost impossible because the touch calibration seems off by 10 cm.  I was able to install on my MAC and it works perfectly.

The solution is three posts above yours.

HMANAZ wrote:

On the V55 firmware: And I noticed a significant change in the HF like a big drop off in the new firmware above 16K vs. The old mostly flat until 22K.  Is there a way to downgrade the firmware or something to validate that it is not caused by the new FW?

It is not caused by the new firmware. Most probably you changed a setting, like PEQ, Treble, or DAC Filter (to NOS).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

xifonet wrote:

This happens when IpadOS settings> display and brightness> screen zoom> larger text.

Thanks for notifying us. We will try to fix this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The Mac app and iPad app are now available as version 1.1. It fixes a small issue that we discovered while working on the Windows app.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
HMANAZ wrote:

HMANAZ wrote:

On the V55 firmware: And I noticed a significant change in the HF like a big drop off in the new firmware above 16K vs. The old mostly flat until 22K.  Is there a way to downgrade the firmware or something to validate that it is not caused by the new FW?

It is not caused by the new firmware. Most probably you changed a setting, like PEQ, Treble, or DAC Filter (to NOS).

Or maybe accidentally switched on Deemphasis permanently, leading to a real big “HF drop off”.

145 (edited by IdleTalk 2023-07-22 10:13:19)

This app is really great.
Combined with DigiCheck I have everything I want on my screen so that I don't have to look at or touch the hardware DAC. I even turned AutoDark on so that I don't have to worry about screen burn-in any more.

The only "inconvenience" with this, very trivial one, is that I quite often forget to turn on my DAC.
I usually find the text "disconnected" a few moments later. smile

I'd suggest that the white halo around the virtual volume knob in the app, which seems to depict the hardware halo on the DAC, could be lit brighter when the DAC is connected, and dimmed down when the DAC is disconnected, just like the hardware halo on the DAC.

At its current state the halo does not indicate anything, unlike the hardware halo. And the remote app does not have any indicator to show connection state (except for the title bar, which is hidden in fullscreen view). Of course it will come with the "State Overview" update, but I think more intuitive one will be useful, like on/off led. So please consider this for the next update.

The halo is only bright on the currently active channel (so it does indicate something). When calling for changes keep in mind the app can be used disconnected, for either demo or EQ edits, so a graphically pleasing and the GUI matching offline indication in full screen mode is not easy to find.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The halo is only bright on the currently active channel (so it does indicate something). When calling for changes keep in mind the app can be used disconnected, for either demo or EQ edits, so a graphically pleasing and the GUI matching offline indication in full screen mode is not easy to find.

Now I see that the halo on the app has a function!

But still, I think that the halo is better be dimmed whenever the DAC is disconnected, because when the DAC is disconnected there should be nothing "active" in a meaningful way. It will not contradict its current function as active channel indicator.

In case my speculation is plainly wrong, don't bother with details in my suggestion but please think of another way to show connection status intuitively in whatever way you see logical.

KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:
HMANAZ wrote:

HMANAZ wrote:

Or maybe accidentally switched on Deemphasis permanently, leading to a real big “HF drop off”.

Thanks for pointing out the display post.  Had not seen it.  Will check out the de-emphasis. 

Appreciate the reply.

Mac App v. 1.1 EQ Presets

One thing I don't understand.
When I activate EQ presets and press "Listen" (no other changes), the EQ settings changes as expected but the corresponding preset name is not displayed (in Details screen nor in EQ screen).
Always displayed is: "EQ Preset Select: Temp or Manual". Do I miss something?

Mac Mini 2018, Apple Thunderbolt Display, macOS Monterey, ADI-2 DAC V.1, Hifiman Arya V.1

No. This IS a temporarily loaded EQ set.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME