Topic: Bugs in TotalMix FX when using the ARC Encoder

I have run into several bugs in TotalMix FX when using the ARC Encoder and the Fireface UFX. First, here is my setup:

Computer: Mac Pro 2019 running macOS Ventura (13.4)

Hardware:
    The original ARC (not the USB model)
    Fireface UFX

Firmware on the Fireface UFX:
    USB 361
    DSP 163
    FW 344
    Class-Compliant 29

Software:
    TotalMix FX Version 1.83 macOS (1)
    Fireface Settings 3.41 (1)

Firewire driver:  V3.41

In TotalMix FX, under the following menu items,
Options/ARC and Key Command Settings/ARC and Function Keys:
I have set the Default Encoder Function to "Volume Main (Default)".

As long as Speaker B is not selected, adjusting the volume using the ARC
encoder works as expected. The volume changes in 0.5 dB increments when the Encoder on the ARC is rotated, and the "Main Volume" is displayed correctly on the UFX screen.

However, whenever Speaker B is selected (whether by using the ARC or by selecting it in TotalMix) the volume changes in 1.5 dB increments and is NOT displayed on the UFX when rotating the ARC Encoder. Note that
rotating the volume knob directly on the UFX does work properly, since
the volume changes in the expected 0.5 dB increments and is shown
correctly on the UFX display screen. This means that there is a bug
in either TotalMix FX or in the UFX firmware.

There is another bug when the Default Encoder Function is set to either
"Volume Main (0.5dB)" or "Volume Main (0.1dB)". In this case, the
changes in volume are NOT displayed on the UFX screen at all when the ARC encoder is rotated, and this applies whether Speaker B is selected or not.

I was wondering if the RME software developers are aware of these bugs,
and if we can expect a fix in the next release of TotalMix FX?

Re: Bugs in TotalMix FX when using the ARC Encoder

Please have a look at version 1.85 beta 1:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_185b1.zip

- Changed behavior for old ARC with UFX and others: activating Speaker B the Main Out of the device is temporarily switched, resulting in the same resolution (0.5dB steps with slow adjustment) for both outputs, and display of the volume setting at the device.

- Added the option 'Volume (TotalMix)' in the settings, which enables volume control for the old ARC by TotalMix (without the 0.5dB steps on slow adjustment, but deterministically related to the mechanical encoder position).

- ARC Settings: Options originally added for the old ARC and intended for the buttons on UCX II and UFX III have been repositioned.

So check the settings in TM FX, set them as desired, and it should work as requested.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Bugs in TotalMix FX when using the ARC Encoder

MC wrote:

Please have a look at version 1.85 beta 1:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_185b1.zip

- Changed behavior for old ARC with UFX and others: activating Speaker B the Main Out of the device is temporarily switched, resulting in the same resolution (0.5dB steps with slow adjustment) for both outputs, and display of the volume setting at the device.

- Added the option 'Volume (TotalMix)' in the settings, which enables volume control for the old ARC by TotalMix (without the 0.5dB steps on slow adjustment, but deterministically related to the mechanical encoder position).

- ARC Settings: Options originally added for the old ARC and intended for the buttons on UCX II and UFX III have been repositioned.

So check the settings in TM FX, set them as desired, and it should work as requested.

I can confirm that this bug appears to be fixed with the 1.85 beta 1 version of TotalMix FX. When Speaker B is selected, the ARC encoder now changes in 0.5 dB steps and displays the current volume on the UFX display. Its behaviour now is the same as when the main speaker is selected, so things are now consistent. Many thanks to Mathias and the RME developers for fixing this issue!

The above is for when the "Default Encoder Function" is set to "Volume Main (Default)". I did try the "Volume Main (0.1dB)", "Volume Main (0.5dB)", and "Volume Main (TotalMix)" options, but these do not display the changes of volume on the UFX itself. This is not a big deal for me, since I don't ever use these three options, but perhaps others do. And it's possible I don't understand the intended effect of these options.