Topic: Overvoltage and glitches. Has damage occurred?

I have found that I have had the ADI-2 DAC connected to a HDPlex 300 for a month with more voltage than recommended and DIG DC Protection off. I have found the fault when checking the devices looking for the reason for a series of continuous glitches in the speakers but also in the headphones. I have corrected it but I still hear some glitches, far fewer but they still occur. There is no indication of failure in the ADI, only the glitches. Could it be irreparable damage? Will the failure pass after leaving the ADI-2 off for a few days? Is there any other way to fix it?

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-25 00:07:09)

Re: Overvoltage and glitches. Has damage occurred?

Might well be nothing is broken.
ADI-2 DAC has some protections against DC input over-voltage built in.
They are not user-defeatable.

The mentioned “DC-Protection” from the menu is for the headphones output, not the DC input.

What kind of “glitches” do you experience?

Glitches might even origin from the player and the interconnects, etc. etc.
I’d start with the original RME PSU first, a known good working audio source and short digital cables.

KaiS wrote:

Might well be nothing is broken.
ADI-2 DAC has some protections against DC input over-voltage built in.
They are not user-defeatable.

The mentioned “DC-Protection” from the menu is for the headphones output, not the DC input.

What kind of “glitches” do you experience?

Glitches might even origin from the player and the interconnects, etc. etc.
I’d start with the original RME PSU first, a known good working audio source and short digital cables.

The glitches are of the "tearing" / "rip" type, as if for a second the speaker had broken. The glitches have a certain dose of randomness. That is, the next day, when I turn on the DAC, it does not start making the same glitches at the same moments. I have also experienced them with headphones. Right now the headphone output seems completely clean. Tomorrow I will try the speakers again, which I hope have not suffered any damage from this situation. Earlier, I checked all connections, and even changed an RCA cable and tried another speaker cable with the same results. By elimination of factors I decided to check the HDPlex and there was a voltage misplaced or moved there at some point, so I can be pretty sure the problem has originated there. One thing that concerns me is that the glitches have been increasing throughout this month. First they seemed to occur only occasionally and on certain albums and then it became more widespread and continuous. The ADI-2 never turns off completely, I always leave it on stand-by but today I will do a total shutdown and tomorrow I will try the original power supply as you advise. Thank you very much.

Why don't you tell us what voltage you used? 19V or 15V? And I agree with Kai, this kind of glitch sounds more like a USB or app playback issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by uqmhrd 2023-06-25 20:04:20)

MC wrote:

Why don't you tell us what voltage you used? 19V or 15V? And I agree with Kai, this kind of glitch sounds more like a USB or app playback issue.

15V, I know it is at the limit of the specifications. I am now exploring the possibility that it is a problem with the amp's electrical outlet, because I recently had a high powered fan installed in this room and the electrical outlet could be compromised. Anyway I have ordered another model of DAC from Amazon to make sure. Thank you very much.

15 V is no problem, even 17 V is no problem. So this is a different issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME